Velocity Reviews

-   -   My hard disk is getting very noisy (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t310887-my-hard-disk-is-getting-very-noisy.html)

ArtKramr 06-04-2004 03:01 PM

My hard disk is getting very noisy

Should I add another hard disk before my C drive crashes or just get a new
computer?

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

mark mandel 06-04-2004 03:51 PM

Re: My hard disk is getting very noisy

"ArtKramr" <artkramr@aol.com> wrote in message
> Should I add another hard disk before my C drive crashes or just get a new
> computer?

Backup everything of value first, get the new drive, then transfer the
"image" to that drive.

Captain Ron 06-04-2004 04:13 PM

Re: My hard disk is getting very noisy

One xtreem to another... It really depends on how you use the machine. I
hate to add new fast equipment to old systems, it is just a waste of money.
But if the machine is a 1400 amd and you use if for word processing, heck
then the machine is fine, replace the drive. If you use it for gaming,
replace the system.

ArtKramr 06-04-2004 06:10 PM

Re: My hard disk is getting very noisy

>Subject: Re: My hard disk is getting very noisy
>From: "Captain Ron" not@nospam.com
>Date: 6/4/04 9:13 AM Pacific Daylight Time
>
>One xtreem to another... It really depends on how you use the machine. I
>hate to add new fast equipment to old systems, it is just a waste of money.
>But if the machine is a 1400 amd and you use if for word processing, heck
>then the machine is fine, replace the drive. If you use it for gaming,
>replace the system.

It's a Dell 400 Dimension and I use it for photo graphics and e-mail. The
problem is that a new hard disk will cost me about $200 bucks., For $600 bucks
I can get a new computer that does 10 times as much. (sigh)

ArtKramr 06-04-2004 06:14 PM

Re: My hard disk is getting very noisy

>Subject: Re: My hard disk is getting very noisy
>From: "mark mandel" ms@earthlink.net
>Date: 6/4/04 8:51 AM Pacific Daylight Time
>

>"ArtKramr" <artkramr@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Should I add another hard disk before my C drive crashes or just get a new
>> computer?

>Backup everything of value first, get the new drive, then transfer the
>"image" to that drive.

I have a 5 year old Dell Dimension 400. I think the cost of a new drive will
exceed the value of the computer. I can get a new Dell that does 10 times as
much for $600.(sigh)

Captain Ron 06-04-2004 07:38 PM

Re: My hard disk is getting very noisy

Wow, $200 for a hard drive! Now that is outragous, I just bought a 120 GB
Maxtor for $80. For phot editing I would build a new machine and sell the
existing machine. I use photoshop 7.0 and I know it is a power hungry hog.

Good luck

Mark Mandell 06-04-2004 08:13 PM

> >Subject: Re: My hard disk is getting very noisy
> >From: "Captain Ron" not@nospam.com
> >Date: 6/4/04 9:13 AM Pacific Daylight Time
> >
> >One xtreem to another... It really depends on how you use the machine. I
> >hate to add new fast equipment to old systems, it is just a waste of

money.
> >But if the machine is a 1400 amd and you use if for word processing, heck
> >then the machine is fine, replace the drive. If you use it for gaming,
> >replace the system.

> It's a Dell 400 Dimension and I use it for photo graphics and e-mail. The
> problem is that a new hard disk will cost me about $200 bucks., For $600

bucks
> I can get a new computer that does 10 times as much. (sigh)

You should be able to get a drive for less $$$$. Of course it depends on
what size you have in mind as well.

Mark

Jerry G. 06-05-2004 01:35 AM

Re: My hard disk is getting very noisy

You can find a hard disk for about $80 or so that would work in your
machine. Go around to the local computer shops.

--

Jerry G.
=====

ArtKramr 06-05-2004 02:00 AM

Re: My hard disk is getting very noisy

>Subject: Re: My hard disk is getting very noisy
>From: "Jerry G." jerryg50@hotmail.com
>Date: 6/4/04 6:35 PM Pacific Daylight Time
>
>You can find a hard disk for about $80 or so that would work in your
>machine. Go around to the local computer shops.

How wilI know which ones will fit my machine.?

ArtKramr 06-05-2004 02:04 AM

Re: My hard disk is getting very noisy

>Subject: Re: My hard disk is getting very noisy
>From: "Mark Mandell" msmandl@earthlink.net
>Date: 6/4/04 1:13 PM Pacific

>You should be able to get a drive for less $$$$. Of course it depends on
>what size you have in mind as well.
>
>Mark

How will I know which drives will fit my machine? Should I go to Fry's or Best
Buy? Do those guys know?.