Velocity Reviews

-   -   Poor Performance (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t310814-poor-performance.html)

Kevin M 05-29-2004 02:44 PM

Poor Performance

I'm now at a total loss. I have a ASUS A7N8X mb, 2600 XP processor, 512mb
PC3200 RAM, WD 74gb (10,000) SATA HD as the main drive C:, another IDE drive
for data, IDE ZIP drive with Windows XP with SP1 installed. The machine
performed well for about 8 months.
Recently, the PC has become very sluggish. For example, I hear hard drive
activity most of the time. If I go to control panel, and right click on my C
drive, it takes about 30 seconds for the menu(properties) to appear. This is
the same performance in Safe mode as well. I have checked for Spyware using
AdAware and Spybot and have found none. Also, I'm using Norton 2003 and keep
my definitions up to date. (I did a virus scan and all was well). I did
uninstall XP update #811493 after reading that It hurt performance. All of
my drivers are up to date including the SATA driver. A scandisk show no bad
sectors an the HD. Also, I have the minimum loading in the startup (RUN)
key. My CPU and MB temps are fine. I don't know what to do next. I
considered doing a repair Windows XP install. I hate to do a clean install.
If you have any ideas, please post.

Many thanks,
--
Kevin

mcp6453 05-29-2004 03:50 PM

Re: Poor Performance

Kevin M wrote:

> I'm now at a total loss. I have a ASUS A7N8X mb, 2600 XP processor, 512mb
> PC3200 RAM, WD 74gb (10,000) SATA HD as the main drive C:, another IDE drive
> for data, IDE ZIP drive with Windows XP with SP1 installed. The machine
> performed well for about 8 months.
> Recently, the PC has become very sluggish. For example, I hear hard drive
> activity most of the time. If I go to control panel, and right click on my C
> drive, it takes about 30 seconds for the menu(properties) to appear. This is
> the same performance in Safe mode as well. I have checked for Spyware using
> AdAware and Spybot and have found none. Also, I'm using Norton 2003 and keep
> my definitions up to date. (I did a virus scan and all was well). I did
> uninstall XP update #811493 after reading that It hurt performance. All of
> my drivers are up to date including the SATA driver. A scandisk show no bad
> sectors an the HD. Also, I have the minimum loading in the startup (RUN)
> key. My CPU and MB temps are fine. I don't know what to do next. I
> considered doing a repair Windows XP install. I hate to do a clean install.
> If you have any ideas, please post.
>
> Many thanks,
> --
> Kevin

Just for grins, go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com and do a free
online virus scan. It found a virus on a computer that Norton missed.

Jim Berwick 05-29-2004 04:08 PM

Re: Poor Performance

"Kevin M" <kman@msn.net> wrote in

> key. My CPU and MB temps are fine. I don't know what to do next. I
> considered doing a repair Windows XP install. I hate to do a clean
> install. If you have any ideas, please post.

I have had Norton 2003 and 2004 cause all kinds of weird slowdowns (2004
caused one machine to lock every other boot or so). Give that a shot.

mark mandel 05-29-2004 04:10 PM

Re: Poor Performance

"Kevin M" <kman@msn.net> wrote in message
> I'm now at a total loss. I have a ASUS A7N8X mb, 2600 XP processor, 512mb
> PC3200 RAM, WD 74gb (10,000) SATA HD as the main drive C:, another IDE

drive
> for data, IDE ZIP drive with Windows XP with SP1 installed. The machine
> performed well for about 8 months.
> Recently, the PC has become very sluggish. For example, I hear hard drive
> activity most of the time. If I go to control panel, and right click on my

> drive, it takes about 30 seconds for the menu(properties) to appear. This

is
> the same performance in Safe mode as well. I have checked for Spyware

using
> AdAware and Spybot and have found none. Also, I'm using Norton 2003 and

keep
> my definitions up to date. (I did a virus scan and all was well). I did
> uninstall XP update #811493 after reading that It hurt performance. All of
> my drivers are up to date including the SATA driver. A scandisk show no

bad
> sectors an the HD. Also, I have the minimum loading in the startup (RUN)
> key. My CPU and MB temps are fine. I don't know what to do next. I
> considered doing a repair Windows XP install. I hate to do a clean

install.
> If you have any ideas, please post.
>
> Many thanks,
> --
> Kevin

I wholeheartedly agree with the decision to do the repair/install. I've
done it many times on a system very close to what you have and have gotten
almost consistently good results. The one time that comes to mind where I
didn't succeed was where I "intentionally" installed Win98 on a PC that
already had XP on it which I know to be the wrong order to install(was
merely curious to see what would happen in this case). Predictably enough,
it created a mess for which the repair/install didn't work out.

Mark Mandell

Kevin M 05-29-2004 05:24 PM

Re: Poor Performance

Thanks for the responses. I did the virus check, but nothing was found.
Also, I when I do a chkdsk, I get bitmap, file, etc. errors. I do the chkdsk
with the /f switch on the next bootup to fix, however, when I run chkdsk
again, there are still errors. Seems like it just does not actually fix
them.

Thor 05-29-2004 05:38 PM

Re: Poor Performance

have you checked the task manager/processes list to see if something is
eating up your CPU usage?

Jim Berwick 05-29-2004 05:43 PM

Re: Poor Performance

"Kevin M" <kman@msn.net> wrote in

> Thanks for the responses. I did the virus check, but nothing was
> found. Also, I when I do a chkdsk, I get bitmap, file, etc. errors. I
> do the chkdsk with the /f switch on the next bootup to fix, however,
> when I run chkdsk again, there are still errors. Seems like it just
> does not actually fix them.

Your hard drive could be going south.

Kevin M 05-29-2004 07:46 PM

Re: Poor Performance

Just did. "System Idle Process" is going from 98 - 99 under CPU heading. Is
this normal?

Jim Berwick 05-29-2004 07:51 PM

Re: Poor Performance

"Kevin M" <kman@msn.net> wrote in

> Just did. "System Idle Process" is going from 98 - 99 under CPU
> heading. Is this normal?

That means your CPU is 98 to 99% idle (which means < 1% of it is being
used)

Kevin M 05-29-2004 08:03 PM

Re: Poor Performance

What would a normal value for this be and what could be causing this?

Thanks