Velocity Reviews

-   -   VERY GOOD COMPUTER???? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t310732-very-good-computer.html)

Paul 05-21-2004 02:18 PM

VERY GOOD COMPUTER????

What software is usually advisable to have on your computer to make sure it
runs fast, is safe, tidy and minimizes problems? So far I have Ad-Aware,
Spybot Search and Destroy, Zone alarm Professional, Norton Utilities, Norton
Anti-Virus and I have XP firewall switched on. Am I doing the right things
or should I be running anything else? I just want my computer to run as best
as it can. What do you think?

Ralph 05-21-2004 02:57 PM

Re: VERY GOOD COMPUTER????

I have Mcafee AV & Firewall as well as Adaware and never have a bit of
problems.

HF 05-21-2004 03:02 PM

Re: VERY GOOD COMPUTER????

Be adventurous - get out more and use the Search button.Go to
www.computerhope.com or www.tomshardware.com to start your adventures and
then on to www.howstuffworks.com followed by www.askjeeves.com and also
www.whatisit.com. and if you think these are windups then click on them.
"Paul" <Spam.me@Spam.com> wrote in message

> What software is usually advisable to have on your computer to make sure

it
> runs fast, is safe, tidy and minimizes problems? So far I have Ad-Aware,
> Spybot Search and Destroy, Zone alarm Professional, Norton Utilities,

Norton
> Anti-Virus and I have XP firewall switched on. Am I doing the right things
> or should I be running anything else? I just want my computer to run as

best
> as it can. What do you think?

---

Global_Killa 05-21-2004 03:16 PM

Re: VERY GOOD COMPUTER????

"Paul" <Spam.me@Spam.com> wrote in message

> What software is usually advisable to have on your computer to make sure

it
> runs fast, is safe, tidy and minimizes problems? So far I have Ad-Aware,
> Spybot Search and Destroy, Zone alarm Professional, Norton Utilities,

Norton
> Anti-Virus and I have XP firewall switched on. Am I doing the right things
> or should I be running anything else? I just want my computer to run as

best
> as it can. What do you think?

The spyware programs that you have should do the job fine, I wouldn't use
any of the Norton applications (just my preference, from what I have used
and tested). Norton Utilities doesn't really offer much, and you may find it
will create more problems than you had to begin with.

A lot of people recommend AVG Anti-Virus software, I use Quick Heal. Always
done the job for me, and you don't even know its running.

I would change your firewall from Zone Alarm, I have used this and just
didn't get along with it. I use Outpost, I have found this to be a very good
firewall. Set the rules for the applications you want, and then select Block
Most, the firewall doesn't bother you again and keeps your computer safe =)
..

Other than that, I use System Mechanic. Just to keep my hard drive clean and
to clean out the registry every few months.
I also use jv16 Power Tools to clean my registry.

Remember to use Windows own cleanup, this will get rid of any useless files
on your hard drive.
Defrag your hard drive about once a month if your computer has heavy use. I
find that this helps to speed things up. I perform a scan disk every month
aswell, just to make sure everything is fine.

A lot of people are saying that Diskeep is good for defragging, but I didn't
find this. Maybe worth a look if people are talking about it.
I found that it hangs my computer when it try's to defrag big files (700+ mb
files such as disk images, movies, etc).

Some people say that RAM optimizer programs help speed things up. But
everyone that I've tried so far, after a while of use, I think it slows my
computer down, and doesn't help.
The only use I have found for them is when you leave your computer
downloading, etc, for a long period of time. They stop your machine from
running out of virtual memory.
But when you are actively using the computer, I wouldn't recommended having
one running.

Hope this helped,

--
Global_Killa

http://punkthenation.tk

HonestJohn 05-21-2004 03:47 PM

Re: VERY GOOD COMPUTER????

"Paul" <Spam.me@Spam.com> wrote in message

> What software is usually advisable to have on your computer to make sure

it
> runs fast, is safe, tidy and minimizes problems? So far I have Ad-Aware,
> Spybot Search and Destroy, Zone alarm Professional, Norton Utilities,

Norton
> Anti-Virus and I have XP firewall switched on. Am I doing the right things
> or should I be running anything else? I just want my computer to run as

best
> as it can. What do you think?

Run Defrag reguarly if your hard drive is badly defragmented.

Programs and processes running in the background can be a big problem, too.
Disable
any programs that launch with Windows, that you are not using. You really
only need your firewall, virus checker and any must-have utilities, the rest
are almost certainly sapping your memory and CPU power. With a freeware
utility like MaxMem, which you can download
from:http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...tem/maxmem.htm
you can keep an eye on your PC's memory usage, and free
up lost memory.

Also, the XP firewall is a good first level of defence and should foil most
attempts to infiltrate your PC from the outside but it offers no protection
against malicious spyware or adware programs on your PC.

ZoneAlarm (www.zonelabs.com) and Agnitum Outpost
(http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/), both do an excellent job as a
more powerful firewall, to protect the hijacking of your Internet connection
and sending private or personal data from your computer.

Night_Seer 05-21-2004 03:57 PM

Re: VERY GOOD COMPUTER????

Global_Killa wrote:
> "Paul" <Spam.me@Spam.com> wrote in message
>>

>> What software is usually advisable to have on your computer to make
>> sure it runs fast, is safe, tidy and minimizes problems? So far I
>> have Ad-Aware, Spybot Search and Destroy, Zone alarm Professional,
>> Norton Utilities, Norton Anti-Virus and I have XP firewall switched
>> on. Am I doing the right things or should I be running anything
>> else? I just want my computer to run as best as it can. What do you
>> think?

> The spyware programs that you have should do the job fine, I wouldn't
> use any of the Norton applications (just my preference, from what I
> have used and tested). Norton Utilities doesn't really offer much,
> and you may find it will create more problems than you had to begin
> with.

It is my preference also...Norton has screwed to many things up before. I
use PcCillin, and only had one problem which tech support walked me
completely through and did everything they could to fix it. It comes with a
firewall these days, but I uninstall it because it is pretty much useless.

> A lot of people recommend AVG Anti-Virus software, I use Quick Heal.
> Always done the job for me, and you don't even know its running.

Another good free AV program is Avast, which I use on different computers.
Avast can be set up to update automatically so all it does is notify you
that its been updated. With AVG you have to go through a few clicks to get
it to update. This might be better for non techie coputer users.

> I would change your firewall from Zone Alarm, I have used this and
> just didn't get along with it. I use Outpost, I have found this to be
> a very good firewall. Set the rules for the applications you want,
> and then select Block Most, the firewall doesn't bother you again and
> keeps your computer safe =) .

I agree I used Zone Alarm of r a year or two and it progressively got worse
for me, usually with specific programs, plus it just got more and more
bloated as it was upgraded. I ended up switching to Kerio Personal
Firewall, and I really do love this firewall, because not only does it tell
you about traffic on your computer, but it also lets you know when one
program is trying to run another, which is good for preventing trojans and
viruses. I wouldn't recomend it to a novice though as it brings a lot more
pop-ups about whats going on with your system than most people will
understand. A good free firewall that I recomend is Sygate Personal
firewall. This will protect incoming and outgoing traffic and isn't such a
hog.

> Other than that, I use System Mechanic. Just to keep my hard drive
> clean and to clean out the registry every few months.
> I also use jv16 Power Tools to clean my registry.
>
> Remember to use Windows own cleanup, this will get rid of any useless
> files on your hard drive.
> Defrag your hard drive about once a month if your computer has heavy
> use. I find that this helps to speed things up. I perform a scan disk
> every month aswell, just to make sure everything is fine.
>
> A lot of people are saying that Diskeep is good for defragging, but I
> didn't find this. Maybe worth a look if people are talking about it.
> I found that it hangs my computer when it try's to defrag big files
> (700+ mb files such as disk images, movies, etc).
>
> Some people say that RAM optimizer programs help speed things up. But
> everyone that I've tried so far, after a while of use, I think it
> slows my computer down, and doesn't help.
> The only use I have found for them is when you leave your computer
> downloading, etc, for a long period of time. They stop your machine
> from running out of virtual memory.
> But when you are actively using the computer, I wouldn't recommended
> having one running.
>
> Hope this helped,

One last thing I like to use is a system startup alert. I can't think of
the name of the program ATM, but its a tiny little program (I really mean
tiny) that you never know is running until any other program tries to
register itself in any startup proces. It lets you know that this program
is doing this, and asks you if its ok or to prevent it.

--
Night_Seer

Stuart 05-21-2004 04:07 PM

Re: VERY GOOD COMPUTER????

Paul wrote:
> What software is usually advisable to have on your computer to make sure it
> runs fast, is safe, tidy and minimizes problems? So far I have Ad-Aware,
> Spybot Search and Destroy, Zone alarm Professional, Norton Utilities, Norton
> Anti-Virus and I have XP firewall switched on. Am I doing the right things
> or should I be running anything else? I just want my computer to run as best
> as it can. What do you think?

Turn the XP firewall off and use ZoneAlarm, if they are both running
together then there could be conflicts.

Stuart

Global_Killa 05-21-2004 04:27 PM

Re: VERY GOOD COMPUTER????

"Night_Seer" <ecamacho4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Global_Killa wrote:
> > "Paul" <Spam.me@Spam.com> wrote in message
> >>

> >> What software is usually advisable to have on your computer to make
> >> sure it runs fast, is safe, tidy and minimizes problems? So far I
> >> have Ad-Aware, Spybot Search and Destroy, Zone alarm Professional,
> >> Norton Utilities, Norton Anti-Virus and I have XP firewall switched
> >> on. Am I doing the right things or should I be running anything
> >> else? I just want my computer to run as best as it can. What do you
> >> think?

> > The spyware programs that you have should do the job fine, I wouldn't
> > use any of the Norton applications (just my preference, from what I
> > have used and tested). Norton Utilities doesn't really offer much,
> > and you may find it will create more problems than you had to begin
> > with.
> >

> It is my preference also...Norton has screwed to many things up before. I
> use PcCillin, and only had one problem which tech support walked me
> completely through and did everything they could to fix it. It comes with

> firewall these days, but I uninstall it because it is pretty much useless.
>
> > A lot of people recommend AVG Anti-Virus software, I use Quick Heal.
> > Always done the job for me, and you don't even know its running.
> >

> Another good free AV program is Avast, which I use on different computers.
> Avast can be set up to update automatically so all it does is notify you
> that its been updated. With AVG you have to go through a few clicks to

get
> it to update. This might be better for non techie coputer users.

Quick Heal also allows auto update, you set how often you want it to update.
I have mine set to every 6 hours.

> > I would change your firewall from Zone Alarm, I have used this and
> > just didn't get along with it. I use Outpost, I have found this to be
> > a very good firewall. Set the rules for the applications you want,
> > and then select Block Most, the firewall doesn't bother you again and
> > keeps your computer safe =) .
> >

> I agree I used Zone Alarm of r a year or two and it progressively got

worse
> for me, usually with specific programs, plus it just got more and more
> bloated as it was upgraded. I ended up switching to Kerio Personal
> Firewall, and I really do love this firewall, because not only does it

tell
> you about traffic on your computer, but it also lets you know when one
> program is trying to run another, which is good for preventing trojans and
> viruses. I wouldn't recomend it to a novice though as it brings a lot

more
> pop-ups about whats going on with your system than most people will
> understand. A good free firewall that I recomend is Sygate Personal
> firewall. This will protect incoming and outgoing traffic and isn't such

> hog.

Outpost firewall shows you a lot of information about the programs that are
using your Internet connection. And comes with plugins that allow you to
block ads on websites, and other things.

> > Other than that, I use System Mechanic. Just to keep my hard drive
> > clean and to clean out the registry every few months.
> > I also use jv16 Power Tools to clean my registry.
> >
> > Remember to use Windows own cleanup, this will get rid of any useless
> > files on your hard drive.
> > Defrag your hard drive about once a month if your computer has heavy
> > use. I find that this helps to speed things up. I perform a scan disk
> > every month aswell, just to make sure everything is fine.
> >
> > A lot of people are saying that Diskeep is good for defragging, but I
> > didn't find this. Maybe worth a look if people are talking about it.
> > I found that it hangs my computer when it try's to defrag big files
> > (700+ mb files such as disk images, movies, etc).
> >
> > Some people say that RAM optimizer programs help speed things up. But
> > everyone that I've tried so far, after a while of use, I think it
> > slows my computer down, and doesn't help.
> > The only use I have found for them is when you leave your computer
> > downloading, etc, for a long period of time. They stop your machine
> > from running out of virtual memory.
> > But when you are actively using the computer, I wouldn't recommended
> > having one running.
> >
> > Hope this helped,

> One last thing I like to use is a system startup alert. I can't think of
> the name of the program ATM, but its a tiny little program (I really mean
> tiny) that you never know is running until any other program tries to
> register itself in any startup proces. It lets you know that this program
> is doing this, and asks you if its ok or to prevent it.

Quick Heal anti-virus does this for me. If something new is added to start
with Windows, it will ask if you want to allow it or delete it from the
startup list.

ProfGene 05-22-2004 12:26 AM

Re: VERY GOOD COMPUTER????

Make sure you scandisk and defrag at least once a week because a fragmented
hard drive if left alone can cause serious problems.

Lloyd Jones 05-22-2004 06:25 PM

Re: VERY GOOD COMPUTER????

When I was running Win 98 I used Norton Utilities 2001 and that fixed every
problem I ever had but it's not compatible with XP and every one says that
Norton 2004 is a load of BS. Does any one know if system mechanic is any
good before I buy it?

LJ