Velocity Reviews

-   -   DVD Questions (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t310708-dvd-questions.html)

JnlSeb 05-19-2004 05:05 PM

DVD Questions

Will DVD Burners only burn DVDs or CDs as well?

What DVD Format is best?

Will all DVD Burners burn DVDs so they can be viewed on standard DVDs to be
viewed on TV?

Thor 05-19-2004 05:35 PM

Re: DVD Questions

"JnlSeb" <jnlseb@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:8tMqc.2408$be.1789@newsread2.news.pas.earthli nk.net...
> Will DVD Burners only burn DVDs or CDs as well?

Yes they burn CDs.

> What DVD Format is best?

Compatibility-wise, from what I've read, and in my own experience, DVD+R/RW
is the most compatible with players in general, although it isn't hard to
find a DVD burner that handles both DVD+R/RW and DVD-R/RW formats, so you
can experiment with what works best for you.

> Will all DVD Burners burn DVDs so they can be viewed on standard DVDs to

be
> viewed on TV?

Yes, but you need to have the proper software that creates the DVD file
structure necessary for them to play as DVD Video discs. And, if you are
trying to create DVD movies from video files downloaded on the internet, or
captured from your video camera, etc, then they have to be in the proper
compression format and converted to the proper file format that the DVD
burning software can use. Simply backing up commerical DVD movies also
requires that you use some kind of DVD ripping software to break the CSS
encryption, and then you can use a program like Nero to burn the unencrypted
files to a blank DVD.

Lloyd Jones 05-19-2004 06:32 PM

Re: DVD Questions

I use Clone DVD and I can watch DVD'S on my DVD player

Night_Seer 05-19-2004 08:20 PM

Re: DVD Questions

Thor wrote:
> "JnlSeb" <jnlseb@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:8tMqc.2408$be.1789@newsread2.news.pas.earthli nk.net...
>> Will DVD Burners only burn DVDs or CDs as well?

> Yes they burn CDs.
>

>> What DVD Format is best?

> Compatibility-wise, from what I've read, and in my own experience,
> DVD+R/RW is the most compatible with players in general, although it
> isn't hard to find a DVD burner that handles both DVD+R/RW and
> DVD-R/RW formats, so you can experiment with what works best for you.
>

>> Will all DVD Burners burn DVDs so they can be viewed on standard
>> DVDs to be viewed on TV?

> Yes, but you need to have the proper software that creates the DVD
> file structure necessary for them to play as DVD Video discs. And, if
> you are trying to create DVD movies from video files downloaded on
> the internet, or captured from your video camera, etc, then they have
> to be in the proper compression format and converted to the proper
> file format that the DVD burning software can use. Simply backing up
> commerical DVD movies also requires that you use some kind of DVD
> ripping software to break the CSS encryption, and then you can use a
> program like Nero to burn the unencrypted files to a blank DVD.

I do know that most Sony's are compatible with DVD-R or -RW, if that's what
you use.

--
Night_Seer