Velocity Reviews

-   -   Question of PCI slot (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t310703-question-of-pci-slot.html)

AJEE 05-19-2004 04:59 AM

Question of PCI slot

Is PCI slot have different version?
because I tried to use smc wireless card to my old computer, but the
computer didn't response anything in a blank screen and bios didn't start
too. SMC technical support said my PCI slot is old version. Is that true?

DeMoN LaG 05-19-2004 05:41 AM

Re: Question of PCI slot

"AJEE" <veeduber@rogers.com> wrote in news:MQBqc.33356$Zxc.29747
@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com:

> Is PCI slot have different version?
> because I tried to use smc wireless card to my old computer, but the
> computer didn't response anything in a blank screen and bios didn't start
> too. SMC technical support said my PCI slot is old version. Is that true?

Yes.

--
website: http://www.demonlag.com
AIM: FrznFoodClerk

AJEE 05-19-2004 05:50 AM

Re: Question of PCI slot

Thank you Demon Lag
My computer is P3-450, Pcchips M741L motherboard. Is that slot still in old
version?

what is pci slot version i got?

Thor 05-19-2004 11:52 AM

Re: Question of PCI slot

yes there have been revisions to the PCI standard over the years.

Thor 05-19-2004 12:09 PM

Re: Question of PCI slot

Consult your motherboard manual for the exact specs. But judging by the age
of the average P3-450Mhz system, I would think your PCI slots would most
likely be PCI 2.1 compliant. The most recent version is 3.0, although I
think most of the newer boards out right now are still of the 2.2 or 2.3
revisions.

news:5BCqc.35115$Zxc.23550@news04.bloor.is.net.cab le.rogers.com...