Velocity Reviews

-   -   Help Installing Norton "Ghost" (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t310688-help-installing-norton-ghost.html)

Gigi 05-17-2004 01:57 PM

Help Installing Norton "Ghost"

I purchased an Iomega external hard drive and it came with "Ghost" and I'd like
to use this software to make a mirror image of my C drive. Every time I install
it and try to use it, I get error messages. Symantec Techs tell me I have to
buy a ps2 mouse and keyboard but other techs at the computer stores say that's
nonsense. They tell me that this particular software is extremely difficult to
get working but that it's a wonderful program once it works. Can anyone give me
some clues?

mark mandel 05-17-2004 03:30 PM

Re: Help Installing Norton "Ghost"

"Gigi" <itchyfeet(no spam)@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:Pw3qc.4416$SZ4.2577@newsread2.news.pas.earthl ink.net...
> I purchased an Iomega external hard drive and it came with "Ghost" and I'd

like
> to use this software to make a mirror image of my C drive. Every time I

install
> it and try to use it, I get error messages. Symantec Techs tell me I have

> buy a ps2 mouse and keyboard but other techs at the computer stores say

that's
> nonsense. They tell me that this particular software is extremely

difficult to
> get working but that it's a wonderful program once it works. Can anyone

give me
> some clues?

What are the error messages? Maybe one of us here can help with that.

I myself have found the Ghost utility to be pretty useful but on a number of
occasions encountered error messages as well(one being that the available
hard drive space that it would have been restored to was too much given the
cluster sizes).

Mark Mandell

cablenetguy@invalid.com 05-17-2004 05:54 PM

Re: Help Installing Norton "Ghost"

On Mon, 17 May 2004 13:57:03 GMT, "Gigi" <itchyfeet(no
spam)@earthlink.net> spewed forth:

>I purchased an Iomega external hard drive and it came with "Ghost" and I'd like
>to use this software to make a mirror image of my C drive. Every time I install
>it and try to use it, I get error messages. Symantec Techs tell me I have to
>buy a ps2 mouse and keyboard but other techs at the computer stores say that's
>nonsense. They tell me that this particular software is extremely difficult to
>get working but that it's a wonderful program once it works. Can anyone give me
>some clues?

Ignore the message that states you may have difficulties with your USB
mouse or keyboard, but keep in mind you may need a PS/2 adapter in
some certain instances. I would suggest cloning your drive with an
"automatic login" just in case you have problems
I use the cloning feature and clone my C: drive to a backup.
Simply name the file and it saves it with a *.GHO file extension to
your backup media and then spans the image across several files with
the *.GHS file extension (in my case several 2 GB files).
I use Ghost for backup and it has proven very reliable for me, plus
saves several hours of loading software, D/L'ing updates,etc, etc.
--
Mark

Otherwise known as
------------
Cablenetguy

Thor 05-17-2004 07:54 PM

Re: Help Installing Norton "Ghost"

make sure you have legacy USB support enabled in the BIOS.

Plato 05-18-2004 04:10 AM

Gigi wrote:

> buy a ps2 mouse and keyboard but other techs at the computer stores say that's

Techs dont work at computer stores. Salesmen do. A "tech" can make at
least $30/hour doing tech work. Computer stores pay like $8/hour plus
commission.

Robert Baer 05-18-2004 06:22 AM

Plato wrote:

> Gigi wrote:
> >
> > buy a ps2 mouse and keyboard but other techs at the computer stores say that's

> Techs dont work at computer stores. Salesmen do. A "tech" can make at
> least $30/hour doing tech work. Computer stores pay like $8/hour plus
> commission.

....and most sales people know diddly squat..

heavenbound 05-18-2004 07:41 AM

Re: Help Installing Norton "Ghost"

ghost is crap for hardware support. it sucks. it does not work with usb when
you reboot into ghost mode at all.

Gigi 05-18-2004 03:05 PM

"Robert Baer" <robertbaer@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Plato wrote:
> >
> > Gigi wrote:
> > >
> > > buy a ps2 mouse and keyboard but other techs at the computer stores say

that's

> > Techs dont work at computer stores. Salesmen do. A "tech" can make at
> > least $30/hour doing tech work. Computer stores pay like $8/hour plus
> > commission.

> ...and most sales people know diddly squat..

I agree however, the guys (3) at CompUSA had all worked with Ghost; 1 had
successfully installed the software but it took him several days, 1 had given up
and returned the software to the store, and 1 was still trying to get it to
work. Does anyone know of some other software that would transfer a mirror
image of my C drive to the new external Iomega D drive? That's what I want to
do but I sure don't want to go out and buy a new keyboard and a new mouse
especially 'cause I have no guarantee that the effort would provide a solution.
I did try and hook up an old ps2 mouse to this computer but WinXP didn't
recognize it.

bearman 05-18-2004 03:41 PM

news:KCpqc.175$be.19@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink. net...

> "Robert Baer" <robertbaer@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > Plato wrote:

say
> that's
> > >
> > > Techs dont work at computer stores. Salesmen do. A "tech" can make at
> > > least $30/hour doing tech work. Computer stores pay like $8/hour plus
> > > commission.

> > ...and most sales people know diddly squat..

> I agree however, the guys (3) at CompUSA had all worked with Ghost; 1 had
> successfully installed the software but it took him several days, 1 had

given up
> and returned the software to the store, and 1 was still trying to get it

> work. Does anyone know of some other software that would transfer a

mirror
> image of my C drive to the new external Iomega D drive? That's what I

want to
> do but I sure don't want to go out and buy a new keyboard and a new mouse
> especially 'cause I have no guarantee that the effort would provide a

solution.
> I did try and hook up an old ps2 mouse to this computer but WinXP didn't
> recognize it.

I've been using Acronis True Image to make a clone of my main drive. Works
really well so far with no problems. It also does images and other things
such as allowing for incremental backups. Check it out.

Bearman

Plato 05-18-2004 04:46 PM

Robert Baer wrote:

> > > buy a ps2 mouse and keyboard but other techs at the computer stores say that's

> > Techs dont work at computer stores. Salesmen do. A "tech" can make at
> > least $30/hour doing tech work. Computer stores pay like $8/hour plus
> > commission.

> ...and most sales people know diddly squat..

Of course, one could get lucky and get a real tech that has a job at a
PC store just to get leads. Cheaper than the yellow pages and you get
paid in the process as well :)