Velocity Reviews

-   -   Removing Viruses (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t310596-removing-viruses.html)

mcp6453 05-08-2004 02:57 PM

Removing Viruses

Any time I work on a computer that has a virus as a result of an expired
antivirus subscription, I use http://housecall.trendmicro.com's online
scan to clean up. However, if the computer cannot access the Internet,
it's a lot harder to get rid of viruses. I have used a number of
methods, but I would like to know the easiest way to get rid of viruses
on a computer than cannot access the Internet.

Norton allows download of the virus definition files, but they cannot be
installed with an expired subscription. If I install a new AV package
from CD, the defs are way out of date.

Pepperoni 05-08-2004 03:24 PM

Re: Removing Viruses

I'm wondering how the PC became infected without being able to go online.
(??)

Download Stinger to floppy, and maybe you will "get lucky" with removal.
(getting lucky means having a virus that Stinger will remove)
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

If you can deduce which virus is present, many cleaners are available for
specific virii that are small enough to fit on floppy.

Go order the free critical update CD set from Microsoft. This will allow
you to update the patches (once the virus is cleaned) and avoid being
reinfected while updating.
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp
This CD set includes an antivirus and firewall program. (ALL FREE)

Try setting the system clock back to a date which had antivirus protection.
(worth a try)

Mr Cellophane 05-08-2004 04:21 PM

Re: Removing Viruses

"Pepperoni" <undeliverableaddy@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:2g4cckF47sg1U1@uni-berlin.de...
> I'm wondering how the PC became infected without being able to go online.
> (??)

Infected disk or file from a disk that has been used on a connected computer?

Oldus Fartus 05-08-2004 04:22 PM

Re: Removing Viruses

"Pepperoni" <undeliverableaddy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm wondering how the PC became infected without being able to go online.
> (??)
>
> Download Stinger to floppy, and maybe you will "get lucky" with removal.
> (getting lucky means having a virus that Stinger will remove)
> http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
>
> If you can deduce which virus is present, many cleaners are available for
> specific virii that are small enough to fit on floppy.
>
> Go order the free critical update CD set from Microsoft. This will allow
> you to update the patches (once the virus is cleaned) and avoid being
> reinfected while updating.
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp
> This CD set includes an antivirus and firewall program. (ALL FREE)

That is exactly what I do. Install the "free" antivirus (CA's E-trust)
onto another machine, and download all updates. Following the instructions
from the rescue.txt file in the CA folder, copy the relevant files onto a
bootable CD along with the definition files. Boot the suspect computer
using the CD, and run RESCUE. My so-called rescue CD also includes the
files to install EZ antivirus and firewall, plus other utilities such as
Spybot Search and Destroy, and various testing programs.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

mcp6453 05-08-2004 04:32 PM

Re: Removing Viruses

Oldus Fartus wrote:

> "Pepperoni" <undeliverableaddy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I'm wondering how the PC became infected without being able to go online.
> > (??)
> >
> > Download Stinger to floppy, and maybe you will "get lucky" with removal.
> > (getting lucky means having a virus that Stinger will remove)
> > http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
> >
> > If you can deduce which virus is present, many cleaners are available for
> > specific virii that are small enough to fit on floppy.
> >
> > Go order the free critical update CD set from Microsoft. This will allow
> > you to update the patches (once the virus is cleaned) and avoid being
> > reinfected while updating.
> > http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp
> > This CD set includes an antivirus and firewall program. (ALL FREE)
> >

> That is exactly what I do. Install the "free" antivirus (CA's E-trust)
> onto another machine, and download all updates. Following the instructions
> from the rescue.txt file in the CA folder, copy the relevant files onto a
> bootable CD along with the definition files. Boot the suspect computer
> using the CD, and run RESCUE. My so-called rescue CD also includes the
> files to install EZ antivirus and firewall, plus other utilities such as
> Spybot Search and Destroy, and various testing programs.

Exactly which free one do you download? I use (any pay for) my-etrust.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like where I need to be.

Thor 05-08-2004 06:55 PM

Re: Removing Viruses

"mcp6453" <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Any time I work on a computer that has a virus as a result of an expired
> antivirus subscription, I use http://housecall.trendmicro.com's online
> scan to clean up. However, if the computer cannot access the Internet,
> it's a lot harder to get rid of viruses. I have used a number of
> methods, but I would like to know the easiest way to get rid of viruses
> on a computer than cannot access the Internet.
>
> Norton allows download of the virus definition files, but they cannot be
> installed with an expired subscription. If I install a new AV package
> from CD, the defs are way out of date.

I use a combination of approaches. For FAT or FAT32 drives, I just keep an
updated copy of F-prot for DOS on bootable CD. You can clean the virus from
DOS that way. If the system is NTFS, then I either boot into safe mode, and
use one of the targeted removal tools from Symantec or Mcafee, or manually
disable the virus (if possible) so the system can boot into windows
normally, then do a full scan online with housecall. Basically, the key is
being prepared by keeping the latest free removal tools archived on CD, and
keeping an updated DOS-based antivirus scanner like F-Prot in your
technician software collection, and, it helps to keep a notebook of
printouts of the manual removal procedures, which are often given on
antivirus software websites. I just take each situation and apply whatever
is the most effective way to solve it. So far, in 8 years, I've never had to
wipe a drive to get rid of a virus.

Thor 05-08-2004 07:00 PM

Re: Removing Viruses

> > That is exactly what I do. Install the "free" antivirus (CA's E-trust)
> > onto another machine, and download all updates. Following the

instructions
> > from the rescue.txt file in the CA folder, copy the relevant files onto

> > bootable CD along with the definition files. Boot the suspect computer
> > using the CD, and run RESCUE. My so-called rescue CD also includes the
> > files to install EZ antivirus and firewall, plus other utilities such as
> > Spybot Search and Destroy, and various testing programs.

> Exactly which free one do you download? I use (any pay for) my-etrust.
>
> Thanks for the info. Sounds like where I need to be.

The free antivirus program is on the MS security CD. It's the free trial
version of EZ Antivirus.

Plato 05-08-2004 08:06 PM

Re: Removing Viruses

mcp6453 wrote:

> methods, but I would like to know the easiest way to get rid of viruses
> on a computer than cannot access the Internet.

You have to be prepared in advance. For example, I carry around an
updated F-Prot on some floppies.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

mcp6453 05-09-2004 12:20 AM

Re: Removing Viruses

Thor wrote:

> > > That is exactly what I do. Install the "free" antivirus (CA's E-trust)
> > > onto another machine, and download all updates. Following the

> instructions
> > > from the rescue.txt file in the CA folder, copy the relevant files onto

> > > bootable CD along with the definition files. Boot the suspect computer
> > > using the CD, and run RESCUE. My so-called rescue CD also includes the
> > > files to install EZ antivirus and firewall, plus other utilities such as
> > > Spybot Search and Destroy, and various testing programs.

> > Exactly which free one do you download? I use (any pay for) my-etrust.
> >
> > Thanks for the info. Sounds like where I need to be.

> The free antivirus program is on the MS security CD. It's the free trial
> version of EZ Antivirus.

Is the version on CD different from the download version? I thought the
DL version requires email activiation or some such. Maybe I'm wrong.

mcp6453 05-09-2004 12:44 AM

Re: Removing Viruses

Thor wrote:

> > > That is exactly what I do. Install the "free" antivirus (CA's E-trust)
> > > onto another machine, and download all updates. Following the

> instructions
> > > from the rescue.txt file in the CA folder, copy the relevant files onto

> > > bootable CD along with the definition files. Boot the suspect computer
> > > using the CD, and run RESCUE. My so-called rescue CD also includes the
> > > files to install EZ antivirus and firewall, plus other utilities such as
> > > Spybot Search and Destroy, and various testing programs.

> > Exactly which free one do you download? I use (any pay for) my-etrust.
> >
> > Thanks for the info. Sounds like where I need to be.

> The free antivirus program is on the MS security CD. It's the free trial
> version of EZ Antivirus.

More particularly, where do you get the license key to install the disk
version? The online version requires submitting registration data and
receiving the license key by email. Sometimes when I am installing AV
software on a client's computer, I do not have their email address
and/or password, so I cannot use their information to register and get a
key. How does activation/registration work on the CD version?

I've ordered the CD, but it could take a while to get here.