Velocity Reviews

-   -   CD rom refuses to open (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t310557-cd-rom-refuses-to-open.html)

fruitbat 05-05-2004 10:34 AM

CD rom refuses to open

My new second hand computer has a CD ROM marked 52X and installs as an
ATAPI.
The computer and the CD work fine, but the CD ROM occasionally refuses to
open. even if I insert a straightened paper clip into the little hole.
Sometimes it opens up fine.
Switching the PC off then on sometimes cures the problem.
I have right clicked on the D: drive CD icon to check properties and all
seems OK. Selecting "eject" in the properties does not help.

Any ideas?

DeMoN LaG 05-05-2004 10:59 AM

Re: CD rom refuses to open

"fruitbat" <fruitbat@gmx.net> wrote in news:4098c349$0$16597$5a62ac22
@freenews.iinet.net.au:

> My new second hand computer has a CD ROM marked 52X and installs as an
> ATAPI.
> The computer and the CD work fine, but the CD ROM occasionally refuses to
> open. even if I insert a straightened paper clip into the little hole.
> Sometimes it opens up fine.
> Switching the PC off then on sometimes cures the problem.
> I have right clicked on the D: drive CD icon to check properties and all
> seems OK. Selecting "eject" in the properties does not help.
>
> Any ideas?

The drive mechanics are starting to fail.

--
website: http://www.demonlag.com
AIM: FrznFoodClerk

Jerry G. 05-05-2004 12:25 PM

Re: CD rom refuses to open

The drive is starting to mechanically fail. It is time to put in a new
drive.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

Thor 05-05-2004 01:01 PM

Re: CD rom refuses to open

I see this happen with cheap drives all the time. Time to replace it.

Plato 05-05-2004 08:11 PM

Re: CD rom refuses to open

fruitbat wrote:

> My new second hand computer has a CD ROM marked 52X and installs as an
> ATAPI.
> The computer and the CD work fine, but the CD ROM occasionally refuses to
> open. even if I insert a straightened paper clip into the little hole.

If it doesn't open by pressing the button then its toasted.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/