Velocity Reviews

-   -   Can't delete a folder (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t310458-cant-delete-a-folder.html)

ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com 04-26-2004 05:12 AM

Can't delete a folder

Running Windows XP pro.

I have a folder on one of my drives that I just can't delete. I do it
within windows explorer and it says the file cannot be deleted, that the
location cannot be found. But its still there, and I see it in
explorer. I also tried to do it from a command prompt, but it says it
cannot find the specified path. This folder is there, and it shows up,
if the path cannot be found why would it show up. Well any help you
guys have would be appreciated, thanks.
--
Night_Seer

cozy 04-26-2004 05:22 AM

Re: Can't delete a folder

You didn't really say, but is this a folder you created yourself and put
things in and then are done with? If not, maybe you have some system
folder with files in it that are not displaying because you have some
setting to hide read only files or something. I don't know how different
your explorer for your files on your computer is, but in win 98 you can
click on 'view' (not browser, but in your windows explorer) and then see
hidden files, which gives you the option of not checking the box that hides
them. I have 'show all files' checked. So, theoretically, that could be
a reason that it won't delete, because there are read only important files
in the folder that 'appears' to be empty.

--
*Busco la excelencia, no la perfección. (I seek excellence, not perfection)

email: change the word cozy to cozyhomelife and change the word netscape to
net
ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com <"ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com"> wrote in
message news:x_CdnXfBhcDHBBHdRVn-sw@adelphia.com...

DeMoN LaG 04-26-2004 05:35 AM

Re: Can't delete a folder

"ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com" <"ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com"> wrote in

> explorer. I also tried to do it from a command prompt, but it says it
> cannot find the specified path. This folder is there, and it shows up,
> if the path cannot be found why would it show up. Well any help you
> guys have would be appreciated, thanks.

Run a chkdsk /x x: (where x: is the drive letter).

You may have to reboot to chkdsk if it is the system drive.

--
website: http://www.demonlag.com
AIM: FrznFoodClerk

Plato 04-26-2004 06:32 AM

Re: Can't delete a folder

http://www.bootdisk.com/xptop10.htm#8

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com 04-27-2004 01:05 AM

Re: Can't delete a folder

cozy wrote:
> You didn't really say, but is this a folder you created yourself and put
> things in and then are done with? If not, maybe you have some system
> folder with files in it that are not displaying because you have some
> setting to hide read only files or something. I don't know how different
> your explorer for your files on your computer is, but in win 98 you can
> click on 'view' (not browser, but in your windows explorer) and then see
> hidden files, which gives you the option of not checking the box that hides
> them. I have 'show all files' checked. So, theoretically, that could be
> a reason that it won't delete, because there are read only important files
> in the folder that 'appears' to be empty.
>
> --
> *Busco la excelencia, no la perfección. (I seek excellence, not perfection)
>
> email: change the word cozy to cozyhomelife and change the word netscape to
> net
> ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com <"ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com"> wrote in
> message news:x_CdnXfBhcDHBBHdRVn-sw@adelphia.com...
>
>>Running Windows XP pro.
>>
>>I have a folder on one of my drives that I just can't delete. I do it
>>within windows explorer and it says the file cannot be deleted, that the
>>location cannot be found. But its still there, and I see it in
>>explorer. I also tried to do it from a command prompt, but it says it
>>cannot find the specified path. This folder is there, and it shows up,
>>if the path cannot be found why would it show up. Well any help you
>>guys have would be appreciated, thanks.
>>--
>>Night_Seer

No, Its definately not a system file or hidden file, its just a folder
for mp3's but its useless and empty, and bugging me

--
Night_Seer

ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com 04-27-2004 01:06 AM

Re: Can't delete a folder

Plato wrote:

> cozy wrote:
>
>>You didn't really say, but is this a folder you created yourself and put
>>things in and then are done with? If not, maybe you have some system

> http://www.bootdisk.com/xptop10.htm#8

No, it's nothing like that, no .dll just a plain old folder that is
empty that used to contain mp3's

--
Night_Seer

ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com 04-27-2004 01:07 AM

Re: Can't delete a folder

DeMoN LaG wrote:

> "ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com" <"ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com"> wrote in
>

>>explorer. I also tried to do it from a command prompt, but it says it
>>cannot find the specified path. This folder is there, and it shows up,
>>if the path cannot be found why would it show up. Well any help you
>>guys have would be appreciated, thanks.

> Run a chkdsk /x x: (where x: is the drive letter).
>
> You may have to reboot to chkdsk if it is the system drive.

I ran it, and didn't find any problems. The only thing that seems odd
about this folder that I can see is that it has two periods at the end
of the name. I can't do anything with this folder (rename, delete, move).

--
Night_Seer

Trent© 04-27-2004 02:32 AM

Re: Can't delete a folder

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 18:07:34 -0700, "ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com"
<"ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com"> wrote:

>I ran it, and didn't find any problems. The only thing that seems odd
>about this folder that I can see is that it has two periods at the end
>of the name. I can't do anything with this folder (rename, delete, move).

Can you right click and see its properties?

Have a nice week...

Trent

What do you call a smart blonde?
A golden retriever.

Thor 04-27-2004 02:46 AM

Re: Can't delete a folder

> > You may have to reboot to chkdsk if it is the system drive.
> >

> I ran it, and didn't find any problems. The only thing that seems odd
> about this folder that I can see is that it has two periods at the end
> of the name. I can't do anything with this folder (rename, delete, move).

Whenever you have a stubborn folder or file that you can't delete the normal
way in XP, this sometimes works. Just open a command prompt window, then
bring up the task manager and kill the explorer process, which unloads the
shell, and usually releases it's hold on the problem file so it can be
manipulated. Then switch to the command prompt window and proceed to delete
the folder or file using DOS commands. After that, go back to the task
manager (should still be running) and click the "new task" button, and type
"explorer.exe" and the windows GUI shell will fire back up in all it's
glory.

cozy 04-27-2004 03:41 AM

Re: Can't delete a folder

It's probably not it, but one has to try everything they can when you've
tried everything else. Another thought that might have something to do
with it... If you have your mp3 player (whatever device you chose to play
them on your computer), if you have it to auto load, then it may have some
link to that folder. So you can never delete something that your computer
thinks is 'open'. Make sure that your MP3 player, any player/s that you
used to play whatever was in that folder are _closed_, not in the bottom
right tray. If they are down there, right click on them and close them.
You turn your computer off once a day, don't you? The reason I ask is
that sometimes I delete things but they look like they are still in the
windows recycle bin until I reboot and then the can is empty.

--

message news:T7adnRl_bfJpLRDdRVn-uQ@adelphia.com...