Velocity Reviews

-   -   pwer off corrupts boot disk (pavilion xt938) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t310311-pwer-off-corrupts-boot-disk-pavilion-xt938.html)

dennis 04-17-2004 06:40 AM

pwer off corrupts boot disk (pavilion xt938)

Hello all,

I have a neighbor who on several occasions for some reason accidentally hit
the power switch on the surge protector and of course ungracefully powered
down his system. Upon booting the system back up it was found the disk was
corrupt and the os needed to be reinstalled. I realize a system is supposed
to be shutdown gracefully but an abrupt powerdown should not normally
clobber the disk drive.

any ideas?

tia
Dennis

Thor 04-17-2004 12:12 PM

Re: pwer off corrupts boot disk (pavilion xt938)

When power is abruptly removed from the system, it should autopark the heads
immediately, but in rare cases a head crash can result. This covers the
potential for hardware damage in that event. In the case of windows,
however, if the drive was in the middle of a read/write operation (which
could be at any time with windows, especially if write caching is enabled)
you can end up with corrupted data being written to the drive. If your
neighbor has accidentally done this on "several occasions" then perhaps you
should be more concerned with his proclivity to repeat the same mistakes
over and over. He should relocate the power strip or put tape over the
switch to prevent it from happening. Also, a UPS unit wouldn't be a bad
idea.

dennis 04-17-2004 01:00 PM

Re: pwer off corrupts boot disk (pavilion xt938)

Thanks Thor... for the interim that is what I did was put the powerstrip in
a location behind the desk where it wouldn't get accidentally kicked. This
will also minimize the chances of their 4 yr old being adventurous and
turning off the switch, of course that is all together another issue that
could be fixed.

I will also check how their disk cache is set up. I wouldn't think the
default setting would leave a system vulnerable (assuming their bios
settings are default) but have seen stranger things.
thanks
Dennis

w_tom 04-18-2004 01:07 AM

Re: pwer off corrupts boot disk (pavilion xt938)

If XP was using the FAT filesystem on hard drive, then of
course unexpected power off can erase files. Just another
reason why disk drive should be using the NTFS filesystem.

dennis 04-18-2004 03:20 AM

Re: pwer off corrupts boot disk (pavilion xt938)

No it is ntfs... I not only moved their power strip but also turned off the
disk cache... performance hit is neglible

thanks
dennis

now I need them to get away from the embedded video card. it's pretty
sad... 128mb ram with 16 meg used for embedded video running xp home...
ought to be a law against it (walmart)