Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: somny dru510 speed issues (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t310076-re-somny-dru510-speed-issues.html)

Thor 04-01-2004 02:41 AM

Re: somny dru510 speed issues

Then I'd say you probably have a drive problem. Perhaps it is defective.

msi 04-01-2004 04:12 AM

Re: somny dru510 speed issues

it might be yes, but i don't know how to find out/determine if it is
defecive. princo media 4x and ritek 4x burn what to me seems to be 2x,
around 35-40 minutes for the entire burn. using nero, dvddecryptor and
dvdxcopy. i bought all these dvd's from www.rima.com the 4x media in their
50 pack which is 2 25 spindles, and a ritex 25 pack spindle. all 4x is what
i bought yet they all take 40 minutes ot burn an entire disc.

how can i contact sony to send in the drive for replacement? i am not sure
where my retail box is and all of those papers.i did buy it from newegg.com.

take care guys.

DeMoN LaG 04-01-2004 04:52 AM

Re: somny dru510 speed issues

"msi" <msi@msi.com> wrote in

> dvdxcopy. i bought all these dvd's from www.rima.com the 4x media in
> their 50 pack which is 2 25 spindles, and a ritex 25 pack spindle. all
> 4x is what i bought yet they all take 40 minutes ot burn an entire
> disc.

What are the other specs of your machine? It's possible the burner is
burning at 4x, but your machine can't keep up with the transfer rate
required.

Thor 04-01-2004 01:35 PM

> "msi" <msi@msi.com> wrote in
>
> > dvdxcopy. i bought all these dvd's from www.rima.com the 4x media in
> > their 50 pack which is 2 25 spindles, and a ritex 25 pack spindle. all
> > 4x is what i bought yet they all take 40 minutes ot burn an entire
> > disc.

> What are the other specs of your machine? It's possible the burner is
> burning at 4x, but your machine can't keep up with the transfer rate
> required.

That's a good point. If the burn-proof features are kicking in, it could
slow burning substantially.

msi 04-01-2004 02:56 PM

Re: somny dru510 speed issues

P4 2.4c HT ghz running at 3ghz
corsair 1gb pc3200 ram running on the motherboard in dual channel mode
MSI 865PE Neo FISR2 mobo with bios 1.9
ATI Radeon 9700 pro
WD SATA 10k rpm 4ms access hard drive 74gb model as the boot drive
Kenwood 72x truex cdrom on one ide channel
ata133 120gb 7200 rpm hard drive for backup on one ide channel
Sony DRU-510 on one ide channel as well.
I forget where each ide drive is however. what channels and what setting
master slave.
windows xp pro sp1 all the latest critical updates, DX9 etc.

So in that regard my pc is a speed demon for the most part.

Oldus Fartus 04-01-2004 03:45 PM

msi wrote:

> it might be yes, but i don't know how to find out/determine if it is
> defecive. princo media 4x and ritek 4x burn what to me seems to be 2x,
> around 35-40 minutes for the entire burn. using nero, dvddecryptor and
> dvdxcopy. i bought all these dvd's from www.rima.com the 4x media in their
> 50 pack which is 2 25 spindles, and a ritex 25 pack spindle. all 4x is what
> i bought yet they all take 40 minutes ot burn an entire disc.
>
> how can i contact sony to send in the drive for replacement? i am not sure
> where my retail box is and all of those papers.i did buy it from newegg.com.

I have seen a few burners over the last few months like this (usually
Sony, Liteon or LG) which are very particular with the media used. It
sounds like you are only burning at 2x which fits in with my experience.

It is easy enough to check - get yourself a couple of higher quality
brandname discs and see how they go. My best guess would be that they
burn at the full 4 speed. (ie, a full DVD in around 15 mins.)

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

Night_Seer 04-01-2004 06:43 PM

Oldus Fartus wrote:
> msi wrote:
>
>> it might be yes, but i don't know how to find out/determine if it is
>> defecive. princo media 4x and ritek 4x burn what to me seems to be
>> 2x, around 35-40 minutes for the entire burn. using nero,
>> dvddecryptor and dvdxcopy. i bought all these dvd's from
>> www.rima.com the 4x media in their 50 pack which is 2 25 spindles,
>> and a ritex 25 pack spindle. all 4x is what i bought yet they all
>> take 40 minutes ot burn an entire disc.
>>
>> how can i contact sony to send in the drive for replacement? i am
>> not sure where my retail box is and all of those papers.i did buy it
>> from newegg.com.
>>

> I have seen a few burners over the last few months like this (usually
> Sony, Liteon or LG) which are very particular with the media used.
> It sounds like you are only burning at 2x which fits in with my
> experience.
>
> It is easy enough to check - get yourself a couple of higher quality
> brandname discs and see how they go. My best guess would be that
> they burn at the full 4 speed. (ie, a full DVD in around 15 mins.)

Actually ritek is usually considered very good quality as far as blank
media go, but I could be wrong. I've burned on ritek no name DVD's at
4x speed on that same exact burner.

--
Night_Seer

DeMoN LaG 04-01-2004 09:05 PM

Re: somny dru510 speed issues

"msi" <msi@msi.com> wrote in news:20040401095611.292
$6h@news.newsreader.com:

> So in that regard my pc is a speed demon for the most part.

Have you tried clocking your system back to stock speeds?

msi 04-01-2004 11:58 PM

Re: somny dru510 speed issues

yes i have and no difference.

msi 04-02-2004 12:00 AM

> Oldus Fartus wrote:
> > msi wrote:
> >
> >> it might be yes, but i don't know how to find out/determine if it is
> >> defecive. princo media 4x and ritek 4x burn what to me seems to be
> >> 2x, around 35-40 minutes for the entire burn. using nero,
> >> dvddecryptor and dvdxcopy. i bought all these dvd's from
> >> www.rima.com the 4x media in their 50 pack which is 2 25 spindles,
> >> and a ritex 25 pack spindle. all 4x is what i bought yet they all
> >> take 40 minutes ot burn an entire disc.
> >>
> >> how can i contact sony to send in the drive for replacement? i am
> >> not sure where my retail box is and all of those papers.i did buy it
> >> from newegg.com.
> >>

> > I have seen a few burners over the last few months like this (usually
> > Sony, Liteon or LG) which are very particular with the media used.
> > It sounds like you are only burning at 2x which fits in with my
> > experience.
> >
> > It is easy enough to check - get yourself a couple of higher quality
> > brandname discs and see how they go. My best guess would be that
> > they burn at the full 4 speed. (ie, a full DVD in around 15 mins.)

> Actually ritek is usually considered very good quality as far as blank
> media go, but I could be wrong. I've burned on ritek no name DVD's at
> 4x speed on that same exact burner.
>
> --
> Night_Seer

friend of mine is giving me a couple 4x tdk -r tomorrow to try.