Velocity Reviews

-   -   Auto Connection (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t310041-auto-connection.html)

Global_Killa 03-05-2004 06:58 PM

Auto Connection

Hey,
I was wondering if it was possible to have windows automatically connect
to the Internet upon login? I'm running Windows XP, and my connection is
broadband.

I know that it doesn't take long to connect to broadband, but it would be
helpful if it automatically logged me onto the Internet when I login into my
account.

Thanks for any advice.

--
Global_Killa

Plato 03-05-2004 07:20 PM

Re: Auto Connection

Global_Killa wrote:

> I was wondering if it was possible to have windows automatically connect
> to the Internet upon login? I'm running Windows XP, and my connection is
> broadband.

What do you have dsl as cable broadband auto-connects in my area but dsl
doesnt.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Thor 03-05-2004 07:29 PM

Re: Auto Connection

You mean launch your browser upon windows startup?

Global_Killa 03-05-2004 07:39 PM

Re: Auto Connection

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message

> What do you have dsl as cable broadband auto-connects in my area but dsl
> doesnt.
>

> --
> http://www.bootdisk.com/

I think I may have dsl

--
Global_Killa

Global_Killa 03-05-2004 07:44 PM

Re: Auto Connection

"Thor" <man@arms.com> wrote in message
> You mean launch your browser upon windows startup?

Nah, not my web browser. I just want the Internet to auto connect. Like when
you double click the connect icon, and click connect, it dials and connects
and then the two little computer screens are in the system tray.
Thats what I want, so when I login into my account the Internet dials, and
the two screens are in the system tray.

Global_Killa

Plato 03-05-2004 08:44 PM

Re: Auto Connection

Global_Killa wrote:

> Thats what I want, so when I login into my account the Internet dials, and
> the two screens are in the system tray.

Which is not broadband.

Global_Killa 03-05-2004 10:40 PM

Re: Auto Connection

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
> Global_Killa wrote:
> >
> > Thats what I want, so when I login into my account the Internet dials,

and
> > the two screens are in the system tray.

> Which is not broadband.

What is it then? It only takes like a second to dial. And my connection says
its broadband, my ISP says its broadband, and my installation for my
broadband modem, and ISP setup says its broadband....

--
Global_Killa

Trent© 03-06-2004 03:08 AM

Re: Auto Connection

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 18:58:36 -0000, "Global_Killa"
<global_killa@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hey,
> I was wondering if it was possible to have windows automatically connect
>to the Internet upon login? I'm running Windows XP, and my connection is
>broadband.
>
>I know that it doesn't take long to connect to broadband, but it would be
>helpful if it automatically logged me onto the Internet when I login into my
>account.
>
>Thanks for any advice.

It should be doing this now.

If you installed the software from your ISP (which you didn't really
need to do...but most folks do), there should be a setting in the
options to allow immediate connection upon booting up the computer.

Another option is to get a router...that you never shut off. This
will be your connection to the Internet...so that you be on the Net
immediately. They're cheap nowadays...about $20 for a 2-port unit.

Contact your ISP...they'll show you how to configure yer machine for
instant connectivity.

Good luck.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Thor 03-06-2004 03:25 AM

Re: Auto Connection

I've not seen a DSL connection that required one to "dial" anything at all.
All the DSL providers in my area are "always on". There is no login process
required. You start your browser, and that's all that is needed. Works just
like cable broadband in my area.

Trent© 03-06-2004 04:26 AM

Re: Auto Connection

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 22:25:41 -0500, "Thor" <man@arms.com> wrote:

>I've not seen a DSL connection that required one to "dial" anything at all.
>All the DSL providers in my area are "always on". There is no login process
>required. You start your browser, and that's all that is needed. Works just
>like cable broadband in my area.

Not all work that way, Thor.

Although there's not a dial-in necessary, of course, there's not
always an instant connection. Depending on the ISP's installation
software, its often necessary to click on an icon...and choose to
connect. It really depends on the provider.

The main concern...and main problem...is whether or not the OS
supports PPPoE. Customers running 98 and prior without a router are
forced to install the ISP's software...which can be configured to
instant access...or not.

When the OP said 'dial', I think he means to click on an icon...which
doesn't actually dial...but connects him to the Internet.

Have a nice week...

Trent