Velocity Reviews

-   -   Soundcard vs sound module. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t310007-soundcard-vs-sound-module.html)

picker 03-03-2004 12:12 PM

Soundcard vs sound module.

Hi, I want to be able to play a midi keyboard - and play midi files that
sound like the *real* instrument/s. I'm using my oem soundblaster 128 at
present and it sounds like cr*p. In your opinion - am i best to buy a
super-duper soundcard or a peripheral unit (sound module)
Which of these is likely to give me the best quality reproduction?
Can you recommend any particular unit/s to get this? (UK)

Thanks very mucho.

tempus fugit 03-04-2004 03:47 AM

Re: Soundcard vs sound module.

Most would say an outboard hardware unit would be better, but software stuff
is getting better all the time. I would try some things out - see if you can
download some demos off the net. For playing MIDI files, get Timidity
(freeware MIDI to wav converter) - it takes a little to get it set up, but
the sound is awesome.

picker 03-04-2004 10:35 AM

Re: Soundcard vs sound module.

Thanks for the lead Tempus.