Velocity Reviews

-   -   wont recognize mouse or keyboard (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t309973-wont-recognize-mouse-or-keyboard.html)

Fred Gozinya 02-29-2004 07:36 PM

wont recognize mouse or keyboard

Curious as to opinions on the following dilemma. I have an old P2
desktop with win 98 that has sat idle for months. I recently attempted
to start it up in an effort to transfer data to my new laptop.
Unfortunately, it will no longer recognize the mouse or keyboard. I
have attempted to re-install 98 with no luck. How can I:
1. fix the above issues
2. transfer data from old to new
Thanks

Alex Devlin 02-29-2004 08:10 PM

Re: wont recognize mouse or keyboard

On 29 Feb 2004, Fred Gozinya wrote:

> Curious as to opinions on the following dilemma. I have an old P2
> desktop with win 98 that has sat idle for months. I recently attempted
> to start it up in an effort to transfer data to my new laptop.
> Unfortunately, it will no longer recognize the mouse or keyboard. I
> have attempted to re-install 98 with no luck. How can I:
> 1. fix the above issues
> 2. transfer data from old to new
> Thanks

1. Unplug the keyboard and mouse and make sure the contacts are clean. Just
plugging them back in may fix this. Try a known working keyboard and mouse
to find out if it's them or the connectors/motherboard.

2. Take the drive/s out of the old PC and hook them up to another one as a
slave drive then take off what you need.

--
Alex Devlin

Good friends will bail you out of jail...
... True friends will be sitting there with you saying "Damn. That was
fun!"

slick 03-01-2004 10:43 PM

Re: wont recognize mouse or keyboard

Un-hook, re-hook keyboard/mouse and if no luck, then investigate BIOS
settings. Perhaps, try looking in the BIOS setup (press F2 or similar at
startup) and poke around and look for "PS/2 enabled" or similar. Make sure
it is enabled. If it is, it is likely you need to replace the mobo or card
they hook into.
news:Xns949E902BEBB2AAlex.Devlin@news.central.cox. net...

Alex Devlin 03-02-2004 07:35 AM

On 01 Mar 2004, slick wrote:

> Un-hook, re-hook keyboard/mouse and if no luck, then investigate
> BIOS
> settings. Perhaps, try looking in the BIOS setup (press F2 or similar
> at startup) and poke around and look for "PS/2 enabled" or similar.

Er, how can he press F2 if the keyboard isn't detected? :-)

Fred Gozinya 03-02-2004 12:55 PM

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 07:35:23 GMT, Alex Devlin <Alex@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>On 01 Mar 2004, slick wrote:
>
>> Un-hook, re-hook keyboard/mouse and if no luck, then investigate
>> BIOS
>> settings. Perhaps, try looking in the BIOS setup (press F2 or similar
>> at startup) and poke around and look for "PS/2 enabled" or similar.

>Er, how can he press F2 if the keyboard isn't detected? :-)

agreed, could part of the issue be that the keyboard is wireless, and
thus re-installing windows erased the software that supports the
keyboard (still doesn't explain why the mice wont work)? Having said
this, how do I hook up a desktop hard drive to a new laptop?