Velocity Reviews

-   -   New motherboard (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t309935-new-motherboard.html)

jay 02-27-2004 02:04 PM

New motherboard

Im getting ready for some upgrading and was wanting some mb recomendations.
Im looking at xp 2800 or a xp 3000. I currently have a msi kt3v mb and Im
getting a new case and cpu and thought that since Im getting a new case It
might be time for a new mb while Im at It. Im looking for a fast chipset, 8x
agp, usb 2.0, firewire, sata, and onboard sound. I was looking at a few on
newegg and thought id get some advice. Thanks Jay

Basket Case 02-27-2004 02:22 PM

Re: New motherboard

"jay" <jek1010@sbcglobal.nonet> wrote in message
news:k7I%b.1335$kf3.557291618@newssvr11.news.prodi gy.com...
> Im getting ready for some upgrading and was wanting some mb

recomendations.
> Im looking at xp 2800 or a xp 3000. I currently have a msi kt3v mb and Im
> getting a new case and cpu and thought that since Im getting a new case It
> might be time for a new mb while Im at It. Im looking for a fast chipset,

8x
> agp, usb 2.0, firewire, sata, and onboard sound. I was looking at a few on
> newegg and thought id get some advice. Thanks Jay

Asus A7N8X-E Delux has all those features. That's the board I am currently
using and I am very happy with it.

-BC

DeMoN LaG 02-27-2004 08:55 PM

Re: New motherboard

"jay" <jek1010@sbcglobal.nonet> wrote in
news:k7I%b.1335$kf3.557291618@newssvr11.news.prodi gy.com:

> Im getting ready for some upgrading and was wanting some mb
> recomendations. Im looking at xp 2800 or a xp 3000. I currently have a
> msi kt3v mb and Im getting a new case and cpu and thought that since
> Im getting a new case It might be time for a new mb while Im at It. Im
> looking for a fast chipset, 8x agp, usb 2.0, firewire, sata, and
> onboard sound. I was looking at a few on newegg and thought id get
> some advice. Thanks Jay

If you are staying with an Athlon XP system, get an Asus A7N8X-Deluxe, and
an Athlon XP 2500+ Mobile (Athlon XP-M). They fit into a regular socket A
motherboard, and since they are mobile chips their default voltage is 1.4
instead of 1.65, and they are multiplier unlocked. Simply drop the chip
in, up the voltage to 1.65 and change the FSB from 333 to 400 and you have
an Athlon XP 3200+. You can typically overclock those chips from their
stock speed to between 2.4 and 2.7 ghz, and a mobile XP 2500+ is only $25
more expensive then a desktop 2500+.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)