Velocity Reviews

-   -   Strange problem with DVD-ROM (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t309929-strange-problem-with-dvd-rom.html)

Kevin M 02-27-2004 01:17 AM

Strange problem with DVD-ROM

Hello
After installing a DVD-ROM and PowerDVD on a Win98 machine, I get the
following error when I try to play a DVD "ASPI for windows not available"
"Only 32 bit cd rom driver supported"

The drive works fine as a CD-ROM and shows up correctly in Device manager.

I've used the same components before and never had a problem like this.

Also, how can one tell if a device is running in 32-bit mode?

Thank you
Kevin

Kevin M 02-27-2004 01:20 AM

Re: Strange problem with DVD-ROM

Also, the ASPI.vxd driver is loaded in the Windows/system/iosubsys
directory.

Thanks

Thor 02-27-2004 03:11 AM

Re: Strange problem with DVD-ROM

Make sure the drive isn't stuck running in MSDOS compatibility mode. Go to
the system properties, click on the performance tab, and check for any
alerts about drives running in compatibility mode. If they are running that
mode, it isn't using a 32bit protected mode driver. The causes can be
viruses, or conflicts with the IDE controllers (may be indicated by yellow
warning flags on the controllers in the device manager), or a real-mode
driver loading at startup that is conflicting with the windows built-in
driver. As for the ASPI drivers, you can try going to Adaptec's website and
try downloading the latest ASPI driver set.

Trent© 02-27-2004 03:38 AM

Re: Strange problem with DVD-ROM

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 20:17:59 -0500, "Kevin M" <kmiles@directUS.com>
wrote:

>Hello
>After installing a DVD-ROM and PowerDVD on a Win98 machine, I get the
>following error when I try to play a DVD "ASPI for windows not available"
>"Only 32 bit cd rom driver supported"

What make and model?

Have a nice week...

Trent

Kevin M 02-27-2004 04:09 AM

Re: Strange problem with DVD-ROM

The model is a Toshiba SD-M1402. I downloaded the ASPI drivers, I see
nothing wrong in device manager and I see nothing indicating a problem in
the performance tab. Still get the error.

Thanks so much

Wizard 02-27-2004 12:13 PM

Re: Strange problem with DVD-ROM

Remove any associated drives from config.sys and autoexec.bat. (dos mode
stuff)

Trent© 02-28-2004 02:07 AM

Re: Strange problem with DVD-ROM

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 23:09:49 -0500, "Kevin M" <kmiles@directUS.com>
wrote:

>The model is a Toshiba SD-M1402. I downloaded the ASPI drivers, I see
>nothing wrong in device manager and I see nothing indicating a problem in
>the performance tab. Still get the error.

Try un and re installing Power DVD.

Also, try another DVD player program.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Fred 02-28-2004 05:17 AM

Re: Strange problem with DVD-ROM

"Kevin M" <kmiles@directUS.com> wrote in message
> Hello
> After installing a DVD-ROM and PowerDVD on a Win98 machine, I get the
> following error when I try to play a DVD "ASPI for windows not available"
> "Only 32 bit cd rom driver supported"
>
> The drive works fine as a CD-ROM and shows up correctly in Device manager.
>
> I've used the same components before and never had a problem like this.
>
> Also, how can one tell if a device is running in 32-bit mode?
>
> Thank you
> Kevin

Do you have a VIA chipset motherboard by any chance? If so you might want to
check that your motherboard drivers are up to date.
http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2