Velocity Reviews

-   -   CMOS breakdown? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t309911-cmos-breakdown.html)

mark mandel 02-25-2004 07:45 AM

CMOS breakdown?

At first I knew something was amiss when I couldn't access the BIOS when I
held down the DEL key(which is the way it's done on my system). Thinking
this was a CMOS related issue, I then decided to clear the CMOS by moving
the jumper pins from the 1-2 position (as mentioned in the motherboard
manual)to th 2-3 and then back to the 1-2 after I had removed the powercord.
I also removed the CMOS battery even though I'd heard it wasn't necessary.

Well, after this was done and I turned on the PC, and there's now nothing,
no booting to the POST, no beeps, and shutting down the PC even takes longer
than before.
I only put this system together, an ASUS A7N8X-X, about a month ago. And
I've checked and double all connections to make sure I didn't accidentally
cause some cable to get undone that could cause this.

Any ideas?

Mark Mandell

TigerHawk 02-25-2004 05:04 PM

Re: CMOS breakdown?

mark mandel wrote:
> At first I knew something was amiss when I couldn't access the BIOS when I
> held down the DEL key(which is the way it's done on my system). Thinking
> this was a CMOS related issue, I then decided to clear the CMOS by moving
> the jumper pins from the 1-2 position (as mentioned in the motherboard
> manual)to th 2-3 and then back to the 1-2 after I had removed the powercord.
> I also removed the CMOS battery even though I'd heard it wasn't necessary.
>
> Well, after this was done and I turned on the PC, and there's now nothing,
> no booting to the POST, no beeps, and shutting down the PC even takes longer
> than before.
> I only put this system together, an ASUS A7N8X-X, about a month ago. And
> I've checked and double all connections to make sure I didn't accidentally
> cause some cable to get undone that could cause this.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Mark Mandell

I have did quite a bit of looking (as I am sure you have too). I did
find that this a problem this motherboard can experience, however the
only solution I found was getting help from Asus. But when he got the
BIOS fixed it started again within a few months. All the problems I
found seemed to affect boards with BIOS ver. 1002. A lot of them was a
mistake made in flashing the BIOS. However, some cases did exist that
the BIOS just died. Since you said that shutting down takes longer I
assume you still can boot into your OS. If hitting DEL a few times at
the moment of boot doesn't get you into your BIOS, I would call ASUS.
Best of luck.

TigerHawk

mark mandel 02-26-2004 02:14 AM

Re: CMOS breakdown?

"TigerHawk" <tigerhawk486@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> mark mandel wrote:
> > At first I knew something was amiss when I couldn't access the BIOS when

> > held down the DEL key(which is the way it's done on my system).

Thinking
> > this was a CMOS related issue, I then decided to clear the CMOS by

moving
> > the jumper pins from the 1-2 position (as mentioned in the motherboard
> > manual)to th 2-3 and then back to the 1-2 after I had removed the

powercord.
> > I also removed the CMOS battery even though I'd heard it wasn't

necessary.

> > Well, after this was done and I turned on the PC, and there's now

nothing,
> > no booting to the POST, no beeps, and shutting down the PC even takes

longer
> > than before.
> > I only put this system together, an ASUS A7N8X-X, about a month ago.

And
> > I've checked and double all connections to make sure I didn't

accidentally
> > cause some cable to get undone that could cause this.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Mark Mandell
> >

> I have did quite a bit of looking (as I am sure you have too). I did
> find that this a problem this motherboard can experience, however the
> only solution I found was getting help from Asus. But when he got the
> BIOS fixed it started again within a few months. All the problems I
> found seemed to affect boards with BIOS ver. 1002. A lot of them was a
> mistake made in flashing the BIOS. However, some cases did exist that
> the BIOS just died. Since you said that shutting down takes longer I
> assume you still can boot into your OS. If hitting DEL a few times at
> the moment of boot doesn't get you into your BIOS, I would call ASUS.
> Best of luck.
>

> TigerHawk

Thanks for the prompt reply. Today I took the machine to the place where I
bought the motherboard, cpu, video card and memory from. A tech there is
gonna check it and get back to me. If the mobo's dead, I'll just get a
replacement.

He thinks it could be the memory, perhaps because there's continuous beeps
once I turn the PC on. I'm rather skeptical of that since this happened
right after I did the CMOS resetting and someone on another website
commented about occasional BIOS access problems with the ASUS mobo's.

Mark