Velocity Reviews

-   -   USB 2.0 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t309900-usb-2-0-a.html)

Ray 02-24-2004 07:55 AM

USB 2.0

how do i know if my pc/laptop has a USB 2.0 port or a USB 1.1 on it?

Thor 02-24-2004 12:45 PM

Re: USB 2.0

1. look up the specs from the manufacturer.
2. Look for "EHCI" or "USB Enhanced Host Controller listed in the device
manager (assumes proper drivers are in place) "Enhanced" being the key word
you want to see.
3. If using WinXP SP1, and you plug a USB 2.0 device into a USB 1.1 port,
you should get a warning message about that.

WInXP requires the SP1 service pack for USB 2.0 hardware support. Win98 and
WinME requires drivers from the manufacturer of the USB 2.0 controller.

Ray 02-24-2004 01:11 PM

Re: USB 2.0

"Thor" <man@arms.com> wrote in message
> 1. look up the specs from the manufacturer.
> 2. Look for "EHCI" or "USB Enhanced Host Controller listed in the device
> manager (assumes proper drivers are in place) "Enhanced" being the key

word
> you want to see.
> 3. If using WinXP SP1, and you plug a USB 2.0 device into a USB 1.1 port,
> you should get a warning message about that.
>
> WInXP requires the SP1 service pack for USB 2.0 hardware support. Win98

and
> WinME requires drivers from the manufacturer of the USB 2.0 controller.
>

> ..
>
> "Ray" <noto@NOTOSPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
> > how do i know if my pc/laptop has a USB 2.0 port or a USB 1.1 on it?

Haven't a clue as to what type it is and both deice manager and aida 32 both
just show "Generic USB hub". Does that mean i have to get a new PCI card?
(Want to connect an external USB hard drive)

Thor 02-24-2004 01:58 PM

Re: USB 2.0

> "Thor" <man@arms.com> wrote in message
> > 1. look up the specs from the manufacturer.
> > 2. Look for "EHCI" or "USB Enhanced Host Controller listed in the device
> > manager (assumes proper drivers are in place) "Enhanced" being the key

> word
> > you want to see.
> > 3. If using WinXP SP1, and you plug a USB 2.0 device into a USB 1.1

port,
> > you should get a warning message about that.
> >
> > WInXP requires the SP1 service pack for USB 2.0 hardware support. Win98

> and
> > WinME requires drivers from the manufacturer of the USB 2.0 controller.
> >

> > ..
> >
> > "Ray" <noto@NOTOSPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > how do i know if my pc/laptop has a USB 2.0 port or a USB 1.1 on it?
> > >

> Haven't a clue as to what type it is and both deice manager and aida 32

both
> just show "Generic USB hub". Does that mean i have to get a new PCI card?
> (Want to connect an external USB hard drive)

You should have more than just the USB hub listed in the device manager.
There should be a line about the controller(s), then the USB hub(s) listed
below that.

For example, mine lists the following:

Universal Serial Bus Controllers
NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller
NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub

It would help if you listed more info

What make/model of PC or laptop?
What version of windows?

Ray 02-25-2004 11:33 AM

Re: USB 2.0

> "Ray" <noto@NOTOSPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> > "Thor" <man@arms.com> wrote in message
> > > 1. look up the specs from the manufacturer.
> > > 2. Look for "EHCI" or "USB Enhanced Host Controller listed in the

device
> > > manager (assumes proper drivers are in place) "Enhanced" being the key

> > word
> > > you want to see.
> > > 3. If using WinXP SP1, and you plug a USB 2.0 device into a USB 1.1

> port,
> > > you should get a warning message about that.
> > >
> > > WInXP requires the SP1 service pack for USB 2.0 hardware support.

Win98
> > and
> > > WinME requires drivers from the manufacturer of the USB 2.0

controller.

> > > ..
> > >
> > > "Ray" <noto@NOTOSPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > >

> > Haven't a clue as to what type it is and both deice manager and aida 32

> both
> > just show "Generic USB hub". Does that mean i have to get a new PCI

card?
> > (Want to connect an external USB hard drive)

> You should have more than just the USB hub listed in the device manager.
> There should be a line about the controller(s), then the USB hub(s) listed
> below that.
>
> For example, mine lists the following:
>
> Universal Serial Bus Controllers
> NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
> NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller
> NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
>

> It would help if you listed more info
>
> What make/model of PC or laptop?
> What version of windows?

ah, it just says NEC PCI to USB open host Controller
USB root hub.
It's a Tosh Sat 2520CDT running XP.

Thor 02-25-2004 01:22 PM

Re: USB 2.0

> "Thor" <man@arms.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Ray" <noto@NOTOSPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Thor" <man@arms.com> wrote in message

> device

key
> > > word

> > port,

> Win98
> > > and

> controller.

it?

> > > Haven't a clue as to what type it is and both deice manager and aida

32
> > both
> > > just show "Generic USB hub". Does that mean i have to get a new PCI

> card?
> > > (Want to connect an external USB hard drive)

> > You should have more than just the USB hub listed in the device manager.
> > There should be a line about the controller(s), then the USB hub(s)

listed
> > below that.
> >
> > For example, mine lists the following:
> >
> > Universal Serial Bus Controllers
> > NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
> > NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller
> > NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller
> > USB Root Hub
> > USB Root Hub
> > USB Root Hub
> >

> > It would help if you listed more info
> >
> > What make/model of PC or laptop?
> > What version of windows?
> >

> ah, it just says NEC PCI to USB open host Controller
> USB root hub.
> It's a Tosh Sat 2520CDT running XP.

It's definitely USB 1.1. USB 2.0 didn't start showing up until 2002, and
your laptop is older than that. You should be able to get a USB 2.0 PC card
to upgrade it, however. But you also need to be running SP1. Check your
system properties page on the "general" tab and see if SP1 is listed there
with the windows XP version. If you don't have SP1, you'll need to download
and install it before trying to install a USB 2.0 card.