Velocity Reviews

-   -   DNS WiFi question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t309899-dns-wifi-question.html)

Mr. Phil 02-24-2004 05:50 AM

DNS WiFi question

I have a little project in the works. I have a spare wireless router and an
old Pentium 90 laptop computer. I hooked the wireless router directly to
the P90 laptop and set the router at 192.168.1.99 and the P90 laptop at
192.168.1.1. The router has DHCP enabled and the DNS pointed at
192.168.1.1.

The P90 laptop is running apache web server and posadis DNS server (SANS to
be exact). What I want to do is place this setup in a busy location where
wardrivers are likely to try connecting. (The router has no WEP enabled
(just a login password) and no MAC filters). I want the DNS server to
direct ANY DNS query directly to 192.168.1.1 which would be a web page of my
choice. So if the wardriver connects and enters www.google.com, it will go
right to my own page. SANS is showing me all the DNS queries coming in from
yet another laptop (a PII-400 connecting via a wireless card (my test
"wardriver" laptop), but any CNAME alias I try to create is not forwarding
to 192.168.1.1.

Has anyone worked with Posadis or SANS? I need help configuring it so ANY
DNS query goes to 192.168.1.1. Please help. Thank you.

-Phil

Wizard 02-24-2004 11:59 AM

Re: DNS WiFi question

Don't use DHCP on your router.