Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Information (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f41-computer-information.html)
-   -   Duel processor Operating Syst. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t309892-duel-processor-operating-syst.html)

Ja ate1 02-23-2004 05:52 AM

Duel processor Operating Syst.
 

If you make a duel processor Xeon sytem, can you use Win2k
or XP or do you need to use server operating software?
And can regular programs run on these duel processor syst.

Thanksss

J

DeMoN LaG 02-23-2004 06:25 AM

Re: Duel processor Operating Syst.
 
jaate1@aol.com (Ja ate1) wrote in news:20040223005227.06694.00000158@mb-
m05.aol.com:

> If you make a duel processor Xeon sytem, can you use Win2k
> or XP or do you need to use server operating software?


Windows 2000 Professional supports a max of 2 CPUs, Server is 4, Advanced
Server is 16, Datacenter Server is 64.

XP Home only supports 1 CPU, so you would need XP Pro, which can use 2.

> And can regular programs run on these duel processor syst.


Yes, however you will see a perfomance gain of 0% and possibly a 2% to 5%
performance /loss/. The only programs that can take advantage of an extra
CPU are SMP aware programs, things like Photoshop, 3dsMax, most compilers,
audio/video encoders, etc. Things like games, with the exception of Quake
3 Arena, are not SMP aware and won't notice, care about, or use the second
processor for anything.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
website: under construction
Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
email/IM for rates/services

Ja ate1 02-24-2004 04:54 PM

Re: Duel processor Operating Syst.
 
So what would be the use for your home user to build a duel processor syst. ?

Basket Case 02-24-2004 05:22 PM

Re: Duel processor Operating Syst.
 

"Ja ate1" <jaate1@aol.com> wrote in message
news:20040224115451.20313.00000347@mb-m27.aol.com...
> So what would be the use for your home user to build a duel processor

syst. ?

For the every day user who surfs the web, checks email, and plays a few
games, there isn't any use.

-BC



DeMoN LaG 02-24-2004 09:10 PM

Re: Duel processor Operating Syst.
 
jaate1@aol.com (Ja ate1) wrote in
news:20040224115451.20313.00000347@mb-m27.aol.com:

> So what would be the use for your home user to build a duel processor
> syst. ?
>


For the home user it would serve basically no purpose what so ever. For
someone who is a power user that does home user activities, it is nice to
be able to say to your friends "Yeah, I got me a dual Opteron workstation",
but you wouldn't see very much real world difference.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
website: under construction
Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
email/IM for rates/services

Night_Seer 02-24-2004 11:01 PM

Re: Duel processor Operating Syst.
 
DeMoN LaG wrote:
> jaate1@aol.com (Ja ate1) wrote in
> news:20040224115451.20313.00000347@mb-m27.aol.com:
>
>> So what would be the use for your home user to build a duel processor
>> syst. ?
>>

>
> For the home user it would serve basically no purpose what so ever.
> For someone who is a power user that does home user activities, it is
> nice to be able to say to your friends "Yeah, I got me a dual Opteron
> workstation", but you wouldn't see very much real world difference.


What about multi tasking and setting different tasks "Affinity" to a
seperate processor. As a power user and gamer, I would love to be able
to play Battlefield 1942 while my other processor crunches some mp3
encoding. And with a good opteron setup, each processor could have its
own memory banks, and not have to share memory. I guess your average
home user might not understand this, but there is definately some
advantages to it, even with non-smp programs. Then comes along photshop
and other programs I use, and things get even better.

--
Night_Seer



DeMoN LaG 02-25-2004 02:49 AM

Re: Duel processor Operating Syst.
 
"Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in
news:edCdncOjg5huS6bdRVn-vw@speakeasy.net:

> own memory banks, and not have to share memory. I guess your average
> home user might not understand this, but there is definately some
> advantages to it, even with non-smp programs. Then comes along photshop
> and other programs I use, and things get even better.


Yes, for someone like yourself who may be constantly encoding MP3s or video
while doing gaming, you may see an advantage. The average home user
generally does one or the other, not both at once. Most don't even do
that, most just surf the net and read email. I would say 90% of the
population would have absolutely no use for a dual processor machine, 8%
could use one but it isn't necessary.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
website: under construction
Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
email/IM for rates/services

Night_Seer 02-25-2004 05:56 PM

Re: Duel processor Operating Syst.
 
DeMoN LaG wrote:
> "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in
> news:edCdncOjg5huS6bdRVn-vw@speakeasy.net:
>
>> own memory banks, and not have to share memory. I guess your average
>> home user might not understand this, but there is definately some
>> advantages to it, even with non-smp programs. Then comes along
>> photshop and other programs I use, and things get even better.

>
> Yes, for someone like yourself who may be constantly encoding MP3s or
> video while doing gaming, you may see an advantage. The average home
> user generally does one or the other, not both at once. Most don't
> even do that, most just surf the net and read email. I would say 90%
> of the population would have absolutely no use for a dual processor
> machine, 8% could use one but it isn't necessary.


Yes I see your point...I agree with this, as I have many examples of
what you speak of.

--
Night_Seer




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.