Velocity Reviews

-   -   Problem accessing my Network (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t309889-problem-accessing-my-network.html)

r49miner 02-23-2004 02:11 AM

Problem accessing my Network

I am experiencing a very frustrating problem and would like a little help
directing me to the proper news group, or helping resolve the problem. My
network is not working and I would appreciate some help isolating the
problem.

I have three computers on the network. One has just developed a problem of
not being able to send or receive E-mail or accessing the internet. When I
try and use Microsft Explorer to access the internet I get an error message,
Web Page Unavailable While Working Offline, To View This Page Click Connect.
I click on view this page and receive another error message. No Connection
To The Internet is Currently Available. To View Internet Content That Has
Been Saved On Your Computer, Click Work Offline. My options are to Click to
TRY AGAIN To Attempt Connect. WORK OFFLINE or TRY AGAIN. By selecting TRY
AGAIN I get
THIS PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED, however, when I delete the message sometimes
I get my home page, which is Yahoo. When I type in a URL and send I get
another error message. I delete the message and it goes to that URL, but
each time I access a page I get an error message.

As for E-mail it just flat out won't let me send or receive.

My computer has :
1.. 800MHz, Intel 2.8 512KB Socket 478 P4 Microprocessor
2.. Gigabyte GA-8KNXP With Hyper-Threading Technology Socket 478 Mother
Board 800 FSB, AGP 8x, Dual DDR400, Serial ATA, IEEE 1394, IDE Raid, Chip
Set Intel 875P
3.. Golden Dragon Geil 1024MB (2x512MB) Ultra Dual Channel p3200 400MHz
DDR Memory
4.. 2 WD 1200JB SE, Western Digital 120GB 7200RPM 8MB Cashe, OEM
5.. ATI Radeon 9800 pro 256MB AGP 8X Video Card W/DVI/TV out OEM
6.. Audigy 2 Platinum, Creative Lab Sound Card 24-bit/192KHz, DVD-Audio w/
Pure 106dB SNR, 6.1 Surround
7.. SONY Internal EIDE 16X DVD-ROM Drive
8.. SONY DRU510A DVD-R/RW DVD+R/RW CD-R/RW Combo Drive Internal ATAPI EIDE
9.. XP Pro

Thanks in advance

Chuck

Pepperoni 02-23-2004 02:33 AM

Re: Problem accessing my Network

What type router are you using to share your connection?

If you are using a hub to connect three PCs to the internet--- *that* is the
problem.

DeMoN LaG 02-23-2004 03:08 AM

Re: Problem accessing my Network

"r49miner" <nospamr49miner@cox.net> wrote in news:9jd_b.10439$4K3.1690
@fed1read06:

> Thanks in advance
>

> Chuck

Forget all the software you are using. If you can not connect via IE or
OE, open a command prompt and type:
ipconfig /all

See that you are getting a valid IP address from whatever is serving as
your DHCP server (probably a router).

If you aren't, you are either not physically connected to the router to
get a DHCP lease, or the router is not working correctly and isn't
assigning you an address.

Next, check that you can ping your gateway. This is listed in IPConfig's
output as Default Gateway. If you have a router, it's probably something
like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1, but take a look and find it, then ping
it:
ping 192.168.0.1

If you can't, you can't ping your router which is why you can't get
online.

Then check that you can ping an IP address outside your network. Right
now, google gives me:
Name: google.com
Addresses: 216.239.37.99, 216.239.57.99, 216.239.39.99

So try:
ping 216.239.37.99

If that works, your packets are going through your network and to the
outside world A-OK.

Next, see if you can look up a domain name:
nslookup google.com

It should provide results similar to:
Server: appsrv.my.house
Address: 192.168.0.200

Name: google.com
Addresses: 216.239.37.99, 216.239.57.99, 216.239.39.99

If you get:
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.

It means whatever your DNS server is set as isn't responding. If instead
you get:
*** appsrv.my.house can't find www.notarealsite.org.edu: Non-existent
domain
Then your DNS server is working, but it can't find that site, which may
indicate a problem with it, especially if you are looking up a site like
google that we all know does exist.

If you can ping the gateway, ping an external IP address, look up a
domain name, ping that domain name, but still can't get to a web page,
the problem is almost definitely IE is either set to use a non existant
or overloaded proxy server, or IE itself is horked.
--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

r49miner 02-23-2004 05:12 AM

Re: Problem accessing my Network

I am Using a Cable/DSL 4 Port Router Linksys.

r49miner 02-23-2004 05:27 AM

Re: Problem accessing my Network

How does one open Command prompt? I know you are dealing with someone that
maybe should not have a computer. hehe

DeMoN LaG 02-23-2004 06:22 AM

> How does one open Command prompt? I know you are dealing with someone
> that maybe should not have a computer. hehe

Start, Run, cmd<enter>

DeMoN LaG 02-23-2004 06:27 AM

Re: Problem accessing my Network

"r49miner" <nospamr49miner@cox.net> wrote in news:JYf_b.10558$4K3.2819
@fed1read06:

> I am Using a Cable/DSL 4 Port Router Linksys.

Is it a BEFSR41? If so, I own the same router, and I had a similar
problem. If you are positive it is the BEFSR41 you have, you can get the
newest firmware and instructions at
http://www.linksys.com/download/default.asp
Pick your model Linksys and get the newest firmware.

Pepperoni 02-23-2004 07:06 AM

Re: Problem accessing my Network

Ok, good. Go into the online setup using your browser (from a different
machine) See your router manual (user guide) or download from
http://www.linksys.com/download/
Check your routing client table and see if the router is seeing the trouble
machine. All of the running machines should show on the table.

If the trouble machine does not show on the routing table, exit setup,
change the ethernet cable to the trouble machine. reboot your entire system
(modem, router and all machines) and enter router setup again. Check the
routing table to see if all running machines show.

I suspect the problem is on the trouble PC. I don't think the router is
seeing your machine. You sometimes see your home page, but I suspect that
it is being viewed from your casche.

I don't know your operating system, so I'm not going to speculate about your
configuration. Often, however, rebooting the entire system will help.
(modem, router and all machines) Let the modem connect, then the router,
then turn on the pcs. It has been months since I messed with configuration,
so I'm not really qualified to speculate. (my Psychic's Union Membership
has lapsed)

I would also try to connect the trouble machine directly to the modem
(leaving out the router) This exercise will tell you whether the problem is
in your PC (won't work), or in the router. (will work without the router)
remember to reboot when changing configurations.)

The Linky router does not do well in some configurations. Mine worked
flawlessly until I was issued a new modem, through which it will not work.
My Linky notebook card would also not work with the RCA modem, so I went to
D-Link, which is trouble free. (Digital phone adapters also are not
guaranteed to work with Linky routers)

DeMoN LaG 02-23-2004 07:46 AM

> Check your routing client table and see if the router is seeing the
> trouble
> machine. All of the running machines should show on the table.

FYI, this is what my linksys's routing table has:

Destination LAN IP Subnet Mask Default Gateway Hop Count Interface
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 68.46.158.1 1 WAN
68.46.158.0 255.255.254.0 0.0.0.0 1 WAN
192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0 1 LAN

Routing tables route to networks, not to machines. To tell a router how to
get from 192.168.0.50/24 to 192.168.1.25/24, you would tell the router to
route 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 through 192.168.1.1 (assuming the router's
interface to 192.168.1.0 was 192.168.1.1). You don't tell the router how
to get to each individual machine. If so, routing tables would go from
their current size of "huge" to "astronomical", imagine keeping an entry
for every machine with a public address.

Pepperoni 02-23-2004 07:50 AM

"DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
> "Pepperoni" <trashbot@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
> > Check your routing client table and see if the router is seeing the
> > trouble
> > machine. All of the running machines should show on the table.

> FYI, this is what my linksys's routing table has:
> XXXXXXsnip XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The "Clients Table" on the Linksys lists the machines connected on the LAN
by name and by IP. It only lists those machines drawing DHCP from the
router.

If the router does not list the machine, it does not see the machine, nor
will the <invisible> machine draw an IP.