Velocity Reviews

-   -   how big should my power supply be? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t309880-how-big-should-my-power-supply-be.html)

tempus fugit 02-22-2004 03:07 AM

how big should my power supply be?

Hey all;

My computer has been acting weird lately (random reboots, random shutdowns,
reliablity issues, etc), and I'm starting to wonder of my PS is on it's way
south.

I'm currently using a 300W PS (don't remember the brand), on my Windows 98SE
with Athlon 950, ECS K7S5A mobo, 384 megs PC133 RAM, DVD rom, CDRW, 2
soundcards, ATI 128 Meg video, and 2 hard drives (1 is 5400 RPM, the other
7200). I think that covers it. Can anyone advise me or point me to a site
that outlines the typical current requirements of these devices so I can
figure out if I should go to a bigger power supply?

Thanks

Drifter 02-22-2004 04:52 AM

Re: how big should my power supply be?

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 22:07:07 -0500, "tempus fugit"
<toccata@ciaccess.com> wrote:

>Hey all;
>
>My computer has been acting weird lately (random reboots, random shutdowns,
>reliablity issues, etc), and I'm starting to wonder of my PS is on it's way
>south.
>
>I'm currently using a 300W PS (don't remember the brand), on my Windows 98SE
>with Athlon 950, ECS K7S5A mobo, 384 megs PC133 RAM, DVD rom, CDRW, 2
>soundcards, ATI 128 Meg video, and 2 hard drives (1 is 5400 RPM, the other
>7200). I think that covers it. Can anyone advise me or point me to a site
>that outlines the typical current requirements of these devices so I can
>figure out if I should go to a bigger power supply?

Well, you don't give a lot of specifics to work with but some general
rule-of-thumb guidelines...

O/S doesn't matter in this case.
Athlon 950 -up to 50 watts
ECS K7S5A- 20-30 watts
384 MB RAM 20-30 watts
DVD ROM- 20-25 watts
CD-RW- 20-25 watts
Sound card 7-10 watts (you say you have 2 so 14-20 watts)
Hard Drive(s) 15 watts (x2- 30 watts)
Video card Hard to guess without the specific model, but we'll
say 30-50 watts.

So running on the higher estimate you need roughly 260 watts. Now add
in roughly 10% to cover the internal loss when the power supply and
computer warm up and you are at about 286 watts.

In addition it has become widely known that far too many brands of
power supply provide as much as 15% less power than their sticker
"rating" claims (that could put your power supply down as low as 255
watts).

So in summary, yes I would say you probably need a larger power supply
(say 350-400 watt). Make sure you buy one with a solid reputation
like the Antec "True Power" series. Do the research BEFORE you waste
your money.

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."

DeMoN LaG 02-22-2004 07:15 AM

Re: how big should my power supply be?

Drifter <zespectre@askme.com> wrote in

> So in summary, yes I would say you probably need a larger power supply
> (say 350-400 watt). Make sure you buy one with a solid reputation
> like the Antec "True Power" series. Do the research BEFORE you waste
> your money.

Complete crap. I've run a Duron 1.2 with 2 IDE drives (5400 and 7200 RPM),
an IDE RAID controller, a SCSI controller, 2 5400 RPM SCSI drives, and 512
megs of RAM on a 300w supply with no issues at all. The main question is
the quality of the drive. Get a high quality Antec or Enermax, or Sparkle
power supply, and you can get by with a lower rating. If you buy a cheap
$15 power supply, then you'll get crap output.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

Thor 02-22-2004 02:09 PM

"DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
> Drifter <zespectre@askme.com> wrote in
>
> > So in summary, yes I would say you probably need a larger power supply
> > (say 350-400 watt). Make sure you buy one with a solid reputation
> > like the Antec "True Power" series. Do the research BEFORE you waste
> > your money.

> Complete crap. I've run a Duron 1.2 with 2 IDE drives (5400 and 7200

RPM),
> an IDE RAID controller, a SCSI controller, 2 5400 RPM SCSI drives, and 512
> megs of RAM on a 300w supply with no issues at all. The main question is
> the quality of the drive. Get a high quality Antec or Enermax, or Sparkle
> power supply, and you can get by with a lower rating. If you buy a cheap
> $15 power supply, then you'll get crap output.

2 optical drives (both burners)
80GB 7200 HDD
512MB RAM
Athlon 2100+ T-Bred
extra USB 2.0 card w/5 ports
sound
modem
NIC
A7N8X Mobo
Geforce 4 Ti 4800
5 case fans
all on a PC Power & Cooling turbo 350 power supply. And it barely gets warm.

Drifter 02-22-2004 02:44 PM

On 22 Feb 2004 07:15:59 GMT, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

>Drifter <zespectre@askme.com> wrote in
>news:bgcg30ddkdktrhv2e7eq2qap2p8dr036um@4ax.com :
>
>> So in summary, yes I would say you probably need a larger power supply
>> (say 350-400 watt). Make sure you buy one with a solid reputation
>> like the Antec "True Power" series. Do the research BEFORE you waste
>> your money.

>Complete crap. I've run a Duron 1.2 with 2 IDE drives (5400 and 7200 RPM),
>an IDE RAID controller, a SCSI controller, 2 5400 RPM SCSI drives, and 512
>megs of RAM on a 300w supply with no issues at all. The main question is
>the quality of the drive. Get a high quality Antec or Enermax, or Sparkle
>power supply, and you can get by with a lower rating. If you buy a cheap
>$15 power supply, then you'll get crap output.

DeMoN:
You post here a lot and you give a lot of advice, but jeez can you
dump the damn attitude you've picked up lately. You can say you
disagree with me without being a jerk about it.

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."

Michael-NC 02-22-2004 03:10 PM

"Thor" <man@arms.com> wrote in message

> "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
> > Drifter <zespectre@askme.com> wrote in
> >
> > > So in summary, yes I would say you probably need a larger power supply
> > > (say 350-400 watt). Make sure you buy one with a solid reputation
> > > like the Antec "True Power" series. Do the research BEFORE you waste
> > > your money.

> > Complete crap. I've run a Duron 1.2 with 2 IDE drives (5400 and 7200

> RPM),
> > an IDE RAID controller, a SCSI controller, 2 5400 RPM SCSI drives, and

512
> > megs of RAM on a 300w supply with no issues at all. The main question

is
> > the quality of the drive. Get a high quality Antec or Enermax, or

Sparkle
> > power supply, and you can get by with a lower rating. If you buy a

cheap
> > $15 power supply, then you'll get crap output.

> 2 optical drives (both burners)
> 80GB 7200 HDD
> 512MB RAM
> Athlon 2100+ T-Bred
> extra USB 2.0 card w/5 ports
> sound
> modem
> NIC
> A7N8X Mobo
> Geforce 4 Ti 4800
> 5 case fans
> all on a PC Power & Cooling turbo 350 power supply. And it barely gets

warm.

Athlon 1GHz, 512MB ram, 2- 7200 HDDs, 52X Burner, NIC, Cordless Mouse/KB,
8MB Intel I740 Video on a 250 Watt PS from QuietPC.com. The units been
running trouble free, 24/7 for well over a year. Quality counts.

Drifter 02-22-2004 03:29 PM

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 09:09:32 -0500, "Thor" <man@arms.com> wrote:

>"DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
>> Drifter <zespectre@askme.com> wrote in
>>
>> > So in summary, yes I would say you probably need a larger power supply
>> > (say 350-400 watt). Make sure you buy one with a solid reputation
>> > like the Antec "True Power" series. Do the research BEFORE you waste
>> > your money.

>> Complete crap. I've run a Duron 1.2 with 2 IDE drives (5400 and 7200

>RPM),
>> an IDE RAID controller, a SCSI controller, 2 5400 RPM SCSI drives, and 512
>> megs of RAM on a 300w supply with no issues at all. The main question is
>> the quality of the drive. Get a high quality Antec or Enermax, or Sparkle
>> power supply, and you can get by with a lower rating. If you buy a cheap
>> $15 power supply, then you'll get crap output.

>2 optical drives (both burners)
>80GB 7200 HDD
>512MB RAM
>Athlon 2100+ T-Bred
>extra USB 2.0 card w/5 ports
>sound
>modem
>NIC
>A7N8X Mobo
>Geforce 4 Ti 4800
>5 case fans
>all on a PC Power & Cooling turbo 350 power supply. And it barely gets warm.

Numbers guys, numbers.
Abit BH7 Mobo (Incl NIC and Audio card): 50 watts
Intel P4 2.4b CPU: 75 watts
1gb RAM 30 Watts
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro Vid Card: 30 watts
4 IDE HDD (15ea X 4) 45 watts
IDE RAID card 07 watts
Hercules Sound card 09 watts
CD-ROM drive 25 watts
DVD-RW Drive 25 watts
FDD 05 watts
Vid Capture Card: 15 watts
Case Fans (4 each X4) 16 watts
Vantec Tornado Fan 09 watts

Total: 341 watts

Now according to the numbers I obtained -from the manufacturers- I
should have been able to run my system with a 350 watt power supply.
Guess what, didn't work even with a TruePower supply. Found out later
that the Vid Card was actually pulling about 45 watts and the RAM was
pulling about 40 watts for a total of 366 watts. Had to jump up to a
400 watt before everything settled down and played nice.

My point is that the numbers I gave the OP were an estimate based on
his somewhat sketchy information (very few model numbers, etc) and
based on that estimate he could be running close to, or over, the wire
ESPECIALLY if he has a cheap power supply.

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."

Travis Nowicki 02-22-2004 05:12 PM

Re: how big should my power supply be?

Dear: Tempus,
I don't think your Power supley is not powerful enough, I am using WIndows 98SE
two and know that the operating system can not handel A DVD ROM and 384 PC RAM.
It could handel a CD-RW, but not a DVD-ROM(DVD-ROM's need a lot of power and
speed:-).Two hardrives might be a little hard to process(Even know it donsen't
show) Harddrives on Windows 98SE must be under 20Ghz.If your computer is
processing under 1.5Ghz it would be good to Take the DVD-ROM out of the
computer.It is possable that your PC could not give enough power, but that's
preedy rare.

Wizard 02-22-2004 05:40 PM

Re: how big should my power supply be?

I gave him the same friendly advice 6 months ago and he didn't take it
so I just kill filed him and have not missed anything significant that I
can tell.

DeMoN LaG 02-22-2004 06:33 PM

Re: how big should my power supply be?

Travis Nowicki <trav1085@emailaccount.com> wrote in

> A DVD ROM and 384 PC RAM.
> It could handel a CD-RW, but not a DVD-ROM(DVD-ROM's need a lot of
> power and speed:-).Two hardrives might be a little hard to
> process(Even know it donsen't

.... I am really not certain where to start debunking this. 9x can easily
handle a DVD, multiple hard drives (really you could have 15 hard drives
and 9x won't care), and Windows 9x can run with up to 1 GB of RAM with the
right little trick, otherwise the max is 512. It is not at all rare for a
PC to not get enough power. I had a customer just last week who bought a
custom system with an Athlon, DVD, CDRW, 2 HDDs, extra NIC, sound, and a
GF4 for video that used a really cheap (I'd put it in the $10 ballpark)
power supply. Sure, it was 400w, but the voltages coming off of it were:
3.3: 2.9
5: 5.6
12: 12.89
VCore: 1.85 (at the lowest possible setting in the BIOS of 1.65)

Machine crashed, locked up, worked like poop. Replaced it with an Antec
400w unit, voltages came back to spec, machine worked like a charm.