Velocity Reviews

-   -   used laptops worty it? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t309874-used-laptops-worty-it.html)

George 02-21-2004 06:28 PM

used laptops worty it?

I dont NEED a laptop but I want one. I can get a used Pentium II for $300
Cdn. I am not yet sure of the specs but regardless how diffilcut would it
be to upgrade a PII so I can use it on trips to watch DVDs and listen to
mp3s? In the end is it worth it. Thanks!

philo 02-22-2004 09:38 AM

Re: used laptops worty it?

"George" <georgeharveyjr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:TqNZb.71102$%p3.1830898@weber.videotron.net.. .
> I dont NEED a laptop but I want one. I can get a used Pentium II for $300
> Cdn. I am not yet sure of the specs but regardless how diffilcut would it
> be to upgrade a PII so I can use it on trips to watch DVDs and listen to
> mp3s? In the end is it worth it. Thanks!

Laptops are not good candidates for upgrades,,,
it's best to just buy one with the specs you need

Thor 02-22-2004 01:54 PM

Re: used laptops worty it?

Philo is right on target. For one thing, a PII laptop isn't going to have a
built-in DVD drive, and although USB ports may make it possible for you to
connect an external one, the laptop's ports would be USB 1.1 ports which
aren't fast enough to handle watching DVD movies I believe.

DeMoN LaG 02-22-2004 06:42 PM

Re: used laptops worty it?

"Thor" <man@arms.com> wrote in news:103hcumnso4evb1@corp.supernews.com:

> Philo is right on target. For one thing, a PII laptop isn't going to
> have a built-in DVD drive, and although USB ports may make it possible
> for you to connect an external one, the laptop's ports would be USB
> 1.1 ports which aren't fast enough to handle watching DVD movies I
> believe.

I tend to agree with Thor here. DVD 1x is ~1500KB/sec, or 12,000 Kilobits
per second. Unless I am mistaken, USB 1.1 does not provide ~
12megabits/second transfer rates.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

Thor 02-22-2004 11:01 PM

Re: used laptops worty it?

"DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
> "Thor" <man@arms.com> wrote in news:103hcumnso4evb1@corp.supernews.com:
>
> > Philo is right on target. For one thing, a PII laptop isn't going to
> > have a built-in DVD drive, and although USB ports may make it possible
> > for you to connect an external one, the laptop's ports would be USB
> > 1.1 ports which aren't fast enough to handle watching DVD movies I
> > believe.

> I tend to agree with Thor here. DVD 1x is ~1500KB/sec, or 12,000 Kilobits
> per second. Unless I am mistaken, USB 1.1 does not provide ~
> 12megabits/second transfer rates.

USB 1.1's limit is *exactly* 12Mbit/sec. The problem is that in real-world
usage, you just don't get consistent enough throughput for smooth playback.
It's probably good for burning data files at the slowest speed onto a DVD
burner, but that's about it.