Velocity Reviews

-   -   Hard Drive Capacity (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t309869-hard-drive-capacity.html)

MIKE COAD 02-21-2004 01:18 PM

Hard Drive Capacity

Hi,

I have an 80GB hard drive which shows a capacity of 76.3GB. Of this, Windows
Explorer shows I have used 73.5GB and have free 2.80GB.

Having totted up the sizes of all the folders on the drive (including a
couple of hidden ones) it only comes to 43.0GB used.

Can anyone explain why it might show this difference of of 30.5GB. As I use
this drive for video editing, I am keen to utilise this space.

Thanks.

Mike

Thor 02-21-2004 01:58 PM

Re: Hard Drive Capacity

What file system, FAT32, or NTFS?

Wizard 02-21-2004 05:36 PM

Re: Hard Drive Capacity

What is the page file set to?

Robert Baer 02-22-2004 06:47 AM

Re: Hard Drive Capacity

MIKE COAD wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an 80GB hard drive which shows a capacity of 76.3GB. Of this, Windows
> Explorer shows I have used 73.5GB and have free 2.80GB.
>
> Having totted up the sizes of all the folders on the drive (including a
> couple of hidden ones) it only comes to 43.0GB used.
>
> Can anyone explain why it might show this difference of of 30.5GB. As I use
> this drive for video editing, I am keen to utilise this space.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mike

Get another HD and add it into thjecomputer, *or* get a 200Gbyte HD
and clone from original to new.
You might need to use Partition Magic to enlarge the original 80Gbyte
to a larger value after the cloning.

Oldus Fartus 02-22-2004 07:08 AM

Re: Hard Drive Capacity

MIKE COAD wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an 80GB hard drive which shows a capacity of 76.3GB. Of this, Windows
> Explorer shows I have used 73.5GB and have free 2.80GB.
>
> Having totted up the sizes of all the folders on the drive (including a
> couple of hidden ones) it only comes to 43.0GB used.
>
> Can anyone explain why it might show this difference of of 30.5GB. As I use
> this drive for video editing, I am keen to utilise this space.

The clue may be what you use it for Mike. I suspect you have some
temporary files which may not have been deleted. Check in your temp
directory, and the directory of whatever video editing program you use.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus