Velocity Reviews

-   -   Can anyone help me? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t309848-can-anyone-help-me.html)

happy ex tucker 02-20-2004 06:03 AM

Can anyone help me?

I'm sharing a place with my brother. He's a nice guy but loves to use my
printer,copier...all in one machine. I normally use 1 black cartridge a
year. I've had to replace one a month since I've been living with him. Is
there any way I can block anyone from using my printer. At first I gave him
his own id on my windows xp, learned quickly to delete that. Now he just
uses someone elses comp prints one and comes home and prints how ever many
he wants. I work all day long and when I come home he's printed 50 copies
of things using just my printer. It's a hassle taking the cartridges in and
out and taking the cable apart and taking half of it with me every time I
leave the house. I'd appreciate any help and I'm getting my own place soon.
Thanks

Happy Ex

Robert Baer 02-20-2004 07:46 AM

Re: Can anyone help me?

happy ex tucker wrote:

> I'm sharing a place with my brother. He's a nice guy but loves to use my
> printer,copier...all in one machine. I normally use 1 black cartridge a
> year. I've had to replace one a month since I've been living with him. Is
> there any way I can block anyone from using my printer. At first I gave him
> his own id on my windows xp, learned quickly to delete that. Now he just
> uses someone elses comp prints one and comes home and prints how ever many
> he wants. I work all day long and when I come home he's printed 50 copies
> of things using just my printer. It's a hassle taking the cartridges in and
> out and taking the cable apart and taking half of it with me every time I
> leave the house. I'd appreciate any help and I'm getting my own place soon.
> Thanks
>
> Happy Ex

Remove the whole printer every time you leave, or at minimum, remove
the ink cartridges and paper each time.
Pick your poison (method) and do not complain.

Jerry G. 02-20-2004 10:54 AM

Re: Can anyone help me?

You can remove the complete printer from the machine and lock it away, get
him to buy his own cartridge, or buy his own printer, or throw him out. I
would just keep removing the cartridge when not needed and locking it up
somewhere, or remove the AC cord from the printer, and lock that up
somewhere.

You can install XP-Pro on your machine, and set up a real security level
that does not allow printing.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg
===========

colin 02-20-2004 12:01 PM

Re: Can anyone help me?

happy ex tucker <fun@nomail.net> wrote in message
> I'm sharing a place with my brother. He's a nice guy but loves to use my
> printer,copier...all in one machine. I normally use 1 black cartridge a
> year. I've had to replace one a month since I've been living with him.

Is
> there any way I can block anyone from using my printer. At first I gave

him
> his own id on my windows xp, learned quickly to delete that. Now he just
> uses someone elses comp prints one and comes home and prints how ever many
> he wants. I work all day long and when I come home he's printed 50 copies
> of things using just my printer. It's a hassle taking the cartridges in

and
> out and taking the cable apart and taking half of it with me every time I
> leave the house. I'd appreciate any help and I'm getting my own place

soon.
> Thanks
>
> Happy Ex

1/ setup a boot password, that locks the drive.

2/ allow the cartridge to run out of ink, and don`t replace it. (may be will
buy one himself; after waiting you out to buy one)

Trent© 02-20-2004 04:45 PM

Re: Can anyone help me?

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 06:03:47 GMT, "happy ex tucker" <fun@nomail.net>
wrote:

>I'm sharing a place with my brother. He's a nice guy but loves to use my
>printer,copier...all in one machine. I normally use 1 black cartridge a
>year. I've had to replace one a month since I've been living with him. Is
>there any way I can block anyone from using my printer. At first I gave him
>his own id on my windows xp, learned quickly to delete that. Now he just
>uses someone elses comp prints one and comes home and prints how ever many
>he wants. I work all day long and when I come home he's printed 50 copies
>of things using just my printer. It's a hassle taking the cartridges in and
>out and taking the cable apart and taking half of it with me every time I
>leave the house. I'd appreciate any help and I'm getting my own place soon.
>Thanks
>
>Happy Ex

Make up a small extension cord...to hook onto the end of the power
cable for the printer...about a foot long. You'll need a male
connector and a female connector to do this, of course...and a short
piece of the proper size wire. Any hardware store should be able to
fix you up.

Cut the end off the power cord of the printer. Install the FEMALE
connector to the end of the printer cord. Then make up that small
extension cord...with a MALE connector on each end.

When you want to use the printer, connect one end of the extension
cord (male) into the female end of the printer cord. Then connect the
other end of the extension cord (male) into the wall.

Basically, he'll have a FEMALE end on the printer...which he won't be
able to plug into the wall. Unless HE gets constructive, too, of
course! lol

When you go to work, simply unplug that small extension cord and take
it with you.

Good luck.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Oldus Fartus 02-21-2004 01:56 AM

Re: Can anyone help me?

Trent© wrote:

> Make up a small extension cord...to hook onto the end of the power
> cable for the printer...about a foot long. You'll need a male
> connector and a female connector to do this, of course...and a short
> piece of the proper size wire. Any hardware store should be able to
> fix you up.
>
> Cut the end off the power cord of the printer. Install the FEMALE
> connector to the end of the printer cord. Then make up that small
> extension cord...with a MALE connector on each end.
>
> When you want to use the printer, connect one end of the extension
> cord (male) into the female end of the printer cord. Then connect the
> other end of the extension cord (male) into the wall.
>
> Basically, he'll have a FEMALE end on the printer...which he won't be
> able to plug into the wall. Unless HE gets constructive, too, of
> course! lol
>
> When you go to work, simply unplug that small extension cord and take
> it with you.

You may want to withdraw that suggestion Trent. It is extremely
dangerous to have a lead with two male plugs, and probably against all
wiring codes. (At least in my country)

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

Robert Baer 02-21-2004 06:49 AM

Re: Can anyone help me?

"Trent©" wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 06:03:47 GMT, "happy ex tucker" <fun@nomail.net>
> wrote:
>
> >I'm sharing a place with my brother. He's a nice guy but loves to use my
> >printer,copier...all in one machine. I normally use 1 black cartridge a
> >year. I've had to replace one a month since I've been living with him. Is
> >there any way I can block anyone from using my printer. At first I gave him
> >his own id on my windows xp, learned quickly to delete that. Now he just
> >uses someone elses comp prints one and comes home and prints how ever many
> >he wants. I work all day long and when I come home he's printed 50 copies
> >of things using just my printer. It's a hassle taking the cartridges in and
> >out and taking the cable apart and taking half of it with me every time I
> >leave the house. I'd appreciate any help and I'm getting my own place soon.
> >Thanks
> >
> >Happy Ex
> >

> Make up a small extension cord...to hook onto the end of the power
> cable for the printer...about a foot long. You'll need a male
> connector and a female connector to do this, of course...and a short
> piece of the proper size wire. Any hardware store should be able to
> fix you up.
>
> Cut the end off the power cord of the printer. Install the FEMALE
> connector to the end of the printer cord. Then make up that small
> extension cord...with a MALE connector on each end.
>
> When you want to use the printer, connect one end of the extension
> cord (male) into the female end of the printer cord. Then connect the
> other end of the extension cord (male) into the wall.
>
> Basically, he'll have a FEMALE end on the printer...which he won't be
> able to plug into the wall. Unless HE gets constructive, too, of
> course! lol
>
> When you go to work, simply unplug that small extension cord and take
> it with you.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Have a nice week...
>
> Trent
>
> Follow Joan Rivers' example --- get pre-embalmed!

Cool suggestion!!!

Robert Baer 02-21-2004 07:01 AM

Re: Can anyone help me?

Oldus Fartus wrote:

> Trent© wrote:
>
> > Make up a small extension cord...to hook onto the end of the power
> > cable for the printer...about a foot long. You'll need a male
> > connector and a female connector to do this, of course...and a short
> > piece of the proper size wire. Any hardware store should be able to
> > fix you up.
> >
> > Cut the end off the power cord of the printer. Install the FEMALE
> > connector to the end of the printer cord. Then make up that small
> > extension cord...with a MALE connector on each end.
> >
> > When you want to use the printer, connect one end of the extension
> > cord (male) into the female end of the printer cord. Then connect the
> > other end of the extension cord (male) into the wall.
> >
> > Basically, he'll have a FEMALE end on the printer...which he won't be
> > able to plug into the wall. Unless HE gets constructive, too, of
> > course! lol
> >
> > When you go to work, simply unplug that small extension cord and take
> > it with you.
> >

> You may want to withdraw that suggestion Trent. It is extremely
> dangerous to have a lead with two male plugs, and probably against all
> wiring codes. (At least in my country)
>
> --
> Cheers
> Oldus Fartus

Well, if there is a protective shroud around it, then it may be OK in
some climates...
An alternate is to use a totally different connector, like what is
called a "Jones" connector (from Cinch-Jones that has been the primary
maker of the series).
See: http://www.mouser.com/catalog/617/727.pdf

Oldus Fartus 02-21-2004 07:15 AM

Re: Can anyone help me?

Robert Baer wrote:

> Oldus Fartus wrote:
>
>>Trent© wrote:
>>

>>>Make up a small extension cord...to hook onto the end of the power
>>>cable for the printer...about a foot long. You'll need a male
>>>connector and a female connector to do this, of course...and a short
>>>piece of the proper size wire. Any hardware store should be able to
>>>fix you up.
>>>
>>>Cut the end off the power cord of the printer. Install the FEMALE
>>>connector to the end of the printer cord. Then make up that small
>>>extension cord...with a MALE connector on each end.
>>>
>>>When you want to use the printer, connect one end of the extension
>>>cord (male) into the female end of the printer cord. Then connect the
>>>other end of the extension cord (male) into the wall.
>>>
>>>Basically, he'll have a FEMALE end on the printer...which he won't be
>>>able to plug into the wall. Unless HE gets constructive, too, of
>>>course! lol
>>>
>>>When you go to work, simply unplug that small extension cord and take
>>>it with you.
>>>

>>You may want to withdraw that suggestion Trent. It is extremely
>>dangerous to have a lead with two male plugs, and probably against all
>>wiring codes. (At least in my country)
>>
>>--
>>Cheers
>>Oldus Fartus

> Well, if there is a protective shroud around it, then it may be OK in
> some climates...
> An alternate is to use a totally different connector, like what is
> called a "Jones" connector (from Cinch-Jones that has been the primary
> maker of the series).
> See: http://www.mouser.com/catalog/617/727.pdf

Of course there is another alternative too, which doesn't seem to have
occurred to the OP. Just say "Little brother, touch my printer again
without my permission and I will rip out your testicles."

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

Samantha 02-21-2004 02:06 PM

Re: Can anyone help me?

Have you tried This....
Wait till he comes home and when you see him walking up the garden path,
hide behind the sofa. When he walks in, Stab him in the head with a
screwdriver. Drag his still alive ass up to the printer and say "Touch it
again you Pr*ck and you'll get some f*ckin' more! Ya Hear!!!!!!" That should
solve the problem on a more long term basis. (Buy XP Pro!!! Why the F*ck
should you have too!"

Samantha