Velocity Reviews

-   -   DNS and event viewer errors (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t309819-dns-and-event-viewer-errors.html)

Joe the Bartender 02-18-2004 12:40 AM

DNS and event viewer errors

To make a long story short, I disabled DNS service in my Sony Vaio XP, since
I finally concluded that that was causing my ISP to take over a minute to
"come alive" each time I connected. I then noticed that it has been several
days and not a single error (of any sort) in my Event Viewer. There used to
be plenty, mostly undeciperable to me (none mentioned DNS).

Questions:

1. Did adding a HOSTS file cause this DNS problem? I put things back the
way they were, but still the problem persists.

2. Why would DNS cause such a delay with my ISP?

3. What's with the lack of errors in Event Viewer?

thanks.

Duane Arnold 02-18-2004 02:22 AM

Re: DNS and event viewer errors

"Joe the Bartender" <JoeB@nospam.net> wrote in

> To make a long story short, I disabled DNS service in my Sony Vaio XP,
> since I finally concluded that that was causing my ISP to take over a
> minute to "come alive" each time I connected. I then noticed that it
> has been several days and not a single error (of any sort) in my Event
> Viewer. There used to be plenty, mostly undeciperable to me (none
> mentioned DNS).
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Did adding a HOSTS file cause this DNS problem? I put things back
> the way they were, but still the problem persists.
>
> 2. Why would DNS cause such a delay with my ISP?
>
> 3. What's with the lack of errors in Event Viewer?
>
> thanks.

The Host file will cause a delay at times on a NT based O/S that's what I
hear. But I only experienced it one time on my Win 2K or XP Pro machines.
Otherthan that, I have not experienced any delays. You should be able to
disable the DNS service, which speeds things up, and if you're not using
IPsec that uses the DNS service.

BTW, I did have an advertisment Trojan that was on the machine that had
the delay and I think the Host was stopping it at boot-up, which I have
removed.

Duane :)

Duane Arnold 02-18-2004 03:28 AM

Re: DNS and event viewer errors

I also noticed that you're part of the AT&T network. I too am part of the
AT&T network which InsightBB my ISP uses AT&T as their network backbone. I
have notice some delays as well and looks like AT&T may be having some
problems with the network. At some points, it was taking 20 seconds or more
to view a post and sometimes Xnews would try two or three times before it
could access a post so it could be viewed. My solution for the moment was to
reset the modem which as corrected the problem for now and the speed is
back.

Duane :)