Velocity Reviews

-   -   Widescreen TFT Monitors? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t309808-widescreen-tft-monitors.html)

John 02-17-2004 12:47 PM

Widescreen TFT Monitors?

Hello.

I just had a quick couple of questions for anyone who has knowledge of
TFT Monitors.

I am looking for a 17 to 19" TFT Monitor but I would like something
that is Widescreen 16:9. Other features I'm looking for include no
more than a 16ms response time and DVI Input.

Are there currently many monitors out there that match these specs
that are not too expen$ive?

And what about LCD TV's that have input's for connecting computers?
Are these any good or would you recommend sticking with pure monitors
designed for PCs instead of the LCD TVs? It would be handy if you
could also use it as a TV but if it's not good enough for a computer
as a pure TFT monitor then I guess I should give it a miss.

Thanks for your help

John

DeMoN LaG 02-17-2004 08:20 PM

Re: Widescreen TFT Monitors?

John <mickey@mouse.com> wrote in news:ns2430ph2sjpa1ll1e36nn2ru6jm3a37b9@
4ax.com:

> Are there currently many monitors out there that match these specs
> that are not too expen$ive?

Define not too expensive? For a 19" LCD with 16 ms response time and DVI
you are looking at like $800 to $1200. If you are less strict, you can get
something like an Advueu 18" LCD for under $500. Response time is rated at
30ms, and it doesn't do DVI, but it's a nice bright picture and DVDs look
great on it. So far I've played every game from Unreal Tournament, UT2k3,
Ut2k4 MP Demo, FFXI, and Quake 3, and I've seen absolutely no blurryness
from a too slow response time. Nice little monitor for $400.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

John 02-18-2004 03:19 PM

Re: Widescreen TFT Monitors?

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 20:20:12 -0000, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

>John <mickey@mouse.com> wrote in news:ns2430ph2sjpa1ll1e36nn2ru6jm3a37b9@
>4ax.com:
>
>> Are there currently many monitors out there that match these specs
>> that are not too expen$ive?
>>

>Define not too expensive?

Hi. I was looking at getting an LCD TV anyway for upstairs but as I
need a new monitor I was looking to kill two birds with one stone.

As far as LCD TV's go I was looking at about 22" for upto 1200 in
price. I've not really been able to see much in the way of monitors.
It's been difficult for me to find any monitors that are Widescreen.
I did see a 17" Dell one, but the response was 25ms, and the screen
size is a tiny bit too small anyway. That one was around 550 I
think.

>For a 19" LCD with 16 ms response time and DVI
>you are looking at like $800 to $1200. If you are less strict, you can get
>something like an Advueu 18" LCD for under $500. Response time is rated at
>30ms, and it doesn't do DVI, but it's a nice bright picture and DVDs look
>great on it. So far I've played every game from Unreal Tournament, UT2k3,
>Ut2k4 MP Demo, FFXI, and Quake 3, and I've seen absolutely no blurryness
>from a too slow response time. Nice little monitor for $400.

You don't have any problems playing games at 30ms?

John

DeMoN LaG 02-18-2004 09:15 PM

Re: Widescreen TFT Monitors?

John <duck@ula.com> wrote in news:f20730tk6gu0olh8bqk81b7hfttri1g5c0@
4ax.com:

> You don't have any problems playing games at 30ms?

No. Keep in mind 30ms only counts from complete black to complete white.
It doesn't count how long it takes to go from green to red, grey to blue,
or yellow to pink. Those response times are typically much higher than the
manufacturer advertises. The important thing is to look at the screen you
are interested in, so you can see in person how it looks and feels.

Some people may find 30ms too slow for gaming. I personally saw too little
a difference between 30ms and 15ms to warrant an extra $500.