Velocity Reviews

-   -   what is firewire (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t309773-what-is-firewire.html)

fruitbat 02-14-2004 06:21 AM

what is firewire

I can recognise a USB port, a serial port, a PS2 port.
What does a Firewire port look like at the back of a computer?

HF 02-14-2004 11:46 AM

Re: what is firewire

Ask Jeeves or Howstuffworks.
"fruitbat" <fruitbat@gmx.net> wrote in message
news:402dbe68$0$1728$5a62ac22@freenews.iinet.net.a u...
> I can recognise a USB port, a serial port, a PS2 port.
> What does a Firewire port look like at the back of a computer?

---

Jerry G. 02-14-2004 11:55 AM

Re: what is firewire

In very simple context, it is a software, or hardware system of some type,
that can block ports in a manner where reverse entry from an outside system
can go back to your computer. All reverse entries, according to how the
firewall is set up, are not allowed to go back in to a system. This is to
block out intrusion, such as monitoring a system's activity, or even taking
control over a system.

If you go to any of the sites that sell firewall hardware, or firewall
software, they usually have some very detailed information about this. I
found that the best firewall is the hardware type.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

Thor 02-14-2004 12:14 PM

Re: what is firewire

Um, FireWIRE, not FirWALL.

Oldus Fartus 02-14-2004 12:14 PM

Re: what is firewire

fruitbat wrote:
> I can recognise a USB port, a serial port, a PS2 port.
> What does a Firewire port look like at the back of a computer?

Have a look at http://www.dynamism.com/a1/index.shtml about a quarter of
the way down the page. Not a terribly good illustration, but gives you
an idea.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

Oldus Fartus 02-14-2004 12:15 PM

Re: what is firewire

Jerry G. wrote:

> In very simple context, it is a software, or hardware system of some type,
> that can block ports in a manner where reverse entry from an outside system
> can go back to your computer. All reverse entries, according to how the
> firewall is set up, are not allowed to go back in to a system. This is to
> block out intrusion, such as monitoring a system's activity, or even taking
> control over a system.
>
> If you go to any of the sites that sell firewall hardware, or firewall
> software, they usually have some very detailed information about this. I
> found that the best firewall is the hardware type.

He asked about *FIREWIRE* Gerry, not *firewall*

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

Thor 02-14-2004 12:20 PM

Re: what is firewire

looks a bit similar to a USB connector, but has rounded corners on one side
of the port. Kind of like an elongated letter "D". Firewire is a device
interface for connecting peripherals and other devices, much like USB. It is
popular for video camera interfaces especially. It's also known as an
IEEE1394 interface.

George 02-14-2004 02:35 PM

Re: what is firewire

There are both 4 pin and 6 pin standards...Thor described the 4 pin
connector. You can find specs on it at www.ieee.org and look for "IEEE
1394". It may be helpful for you to know that Firewire, iLink, and
IEEE-1394 are all the same thing.

Fred 02-14-2004 02:47 PM

Re: what is firewire

fruitbat wrote:
> I can recognise a USB port, a serial port, a PS2 port.
> What does a Firewire port look like at the back of a computer?

Have a look at some pics
http://images.google.com.au/images?s...F-8&q=firewire

msi 02-14-2004 03:09 PM

Re: what is firewire