Velocity Reviews

-   -   Bad Motherboard? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t309767-bad-motherboard.html)

mcp6453 02-13-2004 01:51 PM

Bad Motherboard?

I have an IBM 6579-A4U computer (PIII 500 MHz) running Windows 2000.
When it boots, the bar graph moves about 3/4 of the way across, and the
machine freezes. So, I installed a new hard drive and reinstalled
Windows 2000. Same problem. Tried a new memory stick. Still does it. I
unplugged all peripherals (PCI video card, CDROM, floppy, network card),
same problem. All that leaves is the power supply and the motherboard. I
also tried a Promise IDE controller, no luck. Anything I haven't thought
of, before I trash the machine? A replacement motherboard is not
available.

Chris 02-13-2004 02:03 PM

Re: Bad Motherboard?

"mcp6453" <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I have an IBM 6579-A4U computer (PIII 500 MHz) running Windows 2000.
> When it boots, the bar graph moves about 3/4 of the way across, and the
> machine freezes. So, I installed a new hard drive and reinstalled
> Windows 2000. Same problem. Tried a new memory stick. Still does it. I
> unplugged all peripherals (PCI video card, CDROM, floppy, network card),
> same problem. All that leaves is the power supply and the motherboard. I
> also tried a Promise IDE controller, no luck. Anything I haven't thought
> of, before I trash the machine? A replacement motherboard is not
> available.

Sounds like a board problem to me.

Chris 02-13-2004 02:26 PM

Re: Bad Motherboard?

When I say "board problem", it might be worth it to have the board looked
at, before junking the whole thing. Even if a replacement isn't available,
a repair/rebuild might be an option. Don't go trashing a mobo that only
might need a $10 part.

Besides, getting into the innards of a pc might give you some new insight
into their repair for next time such a problem occurs.

mark mandel 02-13-2004 05:03 PM

Re: Bad Motherboard?

"mcp6453" <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I have an IBM 6579-A4U computer (PIII 500 MHz) running Windows 2000.
> When it boots, the bar graph moves about 3/4 of the way across, and the
> machine freezes. So, I installed a new hard drive and reinstalled
> Windows 2000. Same problem. Tried a new memory stick. Still does it. I
> unplugged all peripherals (PCI video card, CDROM, floppy, network card),
> same problem. All that leaves is the power supply and the motherboard. I
> also tried a Promise IDE controller, no luck. Anything I haven't thought
> of, before I trash the machine? A replacement motherboard is not
> available.

Maybe a cpu problem? Replace it and see what happens.

Rob-J 02-13-2004 05:15 PM

Re: Bad Motherboard?

The very first thing I always do when setting up a new system is to run a
memory test. The program I run is memtest-86 and can be downloaded for free
off their website. I believe it is www.memtest86.com

DeMoN LaG 02-13-2004 08:30 PM

Re: Bad Motherboard?

"mark mandel" <ms@earthlink.net> wrote in news:ar7Xb.2563$tL3.1017
@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

> Maybe a cpu problem? Replace it and see what happens.

I would have to say that in a situation where it is either a bad board or a
bad CPU, 90%+ of the time it is the board. CPUs very rarely fail unless
they've been pushed beyond their limits (overclocking) or their heatsink
and fan have stopped cooling correctly and they burnt out.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

Trent© 02-14-2004 03:11 AM

Re: Bad Motherboard?

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 08:51:26 -0500, mcp6453 <mcp6453@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>I have an IBM 6579-A4U computer (PIII 500 MHz) running Windows 2000.
>When it boots, the bar graph moves about 3/4 of the way across, and the
>machine freezes. So, I installed a new hard drive and reinstalled
>Windows 2000. Same problem.

If you installed the new drive and w2k on that same mainboard, it can
hardly be the mainboard. You have a different problem.

>Tried a new memory stick. Still does it. I
>unplugged all peripherals (PCI video card, CDROM, floppy, network card),
>same problem.

WHAT same problem?...the bar graph on w2k start? How can you see this
with no video card?

Have a nice week...

Trent

mcp6453 02-14-2004 04:18 AM

Re: Bad Motherboard?

Trent© wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 08:51:26 -0500, mcp6453 <mcp6453@earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>
> >I have an IBM 6579-A4U computer (PIII 500 MHz) running Windows 2000.
> >When it boots, the bar graph moves about 3/4 of the way across, and the
> >machine freezes. So, I installed a new hard drive and reinstalled
> >Windows 2000. Same problem.

> If you installed the new drive and w2k on that same mainboard, it can
> hardly be the mainboard. You have a different problem.

Tried a new power supply. No joy.

> >Tried a new memory stick. Still does it. I
> >unplugged all peripherals (PCI video card, CDROM, floppy, network card),
> >same problem.

> WHAT same problem?...the bar graph on w2k start? How can you see this
> with no video card?

Yes, the computer locks up when it gets to the bar graph on the opening
Windows screen. I removed the GeForce video card and used the on-board
video "card". I have now tried everything except a new motherboard, so
it must be the problem.

Oh, well.

mcp6453 02-14-2004 04:21 AM

Re: Bad Motherboard?

mcp6453 wrote:

> Trent© wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 08:51:26 -0500, mcp6453 <mcp6453@earthlink.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >I have an IBM 6579-A4U computer (PIII 500 MHz) running Windows 2000.
> > >When it boots, the bar graph moves about 3/4 of the way across, and the
> > >machine freezes. So, I installed a new hard drive and reinstalled
> > >Windows 2000. Same problem.

> > If you installed the new drive and w2k on that same mainboard, it can
> > hardly be the mainboard. You have a different problem.

> Tried a new power supply. No joy.
>
> > >Tried a new memory stick. Still does it. I
> > >unplugged all peripherals (PCI video card, CDROM, floppy, network card),
> > >same problem.

> > WHAT same problem?...the bar graph on w2k start? How can you see this
> > with no video card?

> Yes, the computer locks up when it gets to the bar graph on the opening
> Windows screen. I removed the GeForce video card and used the on-board
> video "card". I have now tried everything except a new motherboard, so
> it must be the problem.
>
> Oh, well.

Now the computer just reboots each time it gets to the Windows startup
screen.

Trent© 02-14-2004 04:40 AM

Re: Bad Motherboard?

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 23:18:53 -0500, mcp6453 <mcp6453@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>Yes, the computer locks up when it gets to the bar graph on the opening
>Windows screen. I removed the GeForce video card and used the on-board
>video "card". I have now tried everything except a new motherboard, so
>it must be the problem.
>
>Oh, well.

I don't recall seeing where you got into the BIOS...to check the
settings.

Have a nice week...

Trent