Velocity Reviews

-   -   Laserjet toners (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t309699-laserjet-toners.html)

Cameron Gibbs 02-06-2004 03:01 PM

Laserjet toners

Hey peoples :)
Long time no see.

I just scored a free LaserJet printer from a friend clearing his yard of old
gear.
Canon LBP-8 Mark IV
It has a Hewlett Packard cartridge in it: 92298A

It was working perfectly but it kept flashing that the toner was low.
Another friend gave me a near new catridge of toner from a photocopier that
is no longer in use.

I tried opening up the LaserJet cartridge and spooning the toner into it.
I had to wind the magnetic drum to get the toner to fall into the cartridge
so that I could fill it up.
When I tried printing from this it all came out grey, blotchy and with
repeating parts of the page.
And it still flashed that the toner was low.
I put about 20 pages through it without much improvement.

I have now completely removed all of the toner from the cartridge by pulling
it apart and blowing it all out with an air compressor (I got quite messy
but it was fun).
I cleaned the drum and other parts with methylated spirits (worked well).
I want to start fresh.

What did I do wrong the first time?
What can I do better now?

Are photocopier toners compatible with LaserJet toners?

Thanks for any help.
--
______________________________
Reply to the group.

The PC & Electronic Data Map Project:
http://members.dodo.com.au/~cameron111

---

Thor 02-06-2004 04:08 PM

Re: Laserjet toners

"Cameron Gibbs" <odly@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hey peoples :)
> Long time no see.
>
> I just scored a free LaserJet printer from a friend clearing his yard of

old
> gear.
> Canon LBP-8 Mark IV
> It has a Hewlett Packard cartridge in it: 92298A
>
> It was working perfectly but it kept flashing that the toner was low.
> Another friend gave me a near new catridge of toner from a photocopier

that
> is no longer in use.
>
> I tried opening up the LaserJet cartridge and spooning the toner into it.
> I had to wind the magnetic drum to get the toner to fall into the

cartridge
> so that I could fill it up.
> When I tried printing from this it all came out grey, blotchy and with
> repeating parts of the page.
> And it still flashed that the toner was low.
> I put about 20 pages through it without much improvement.
>
> I have now completely removed all of the toner from the cartridge by

pulling
> it apart and blowing it all out with an air compressor (I got quite messy
> but it was fun).
> I cleaned the drum and other parts with methylated spirits (worked well).
> I want to start fresh.
>
> What did I do wrong the first time?
> What can I do better now?
>
> Are photocopier toners compatible with LaserJet toners?

I wouldn't advise using toner from something that it wasn't specifically
designed for. The copier toner you used may be different in composition, and
might not reliably fuse to the paper at the temperature your particular
laser printer uses to do this. Or it may not properly respond to the charge
your printer applies in order for it to adhere properly to paper before it
is fused.

mike 02-06-2004 08:08 PM

Re: Laserjet toners

> Are photocopier toners compatible with LaserJet toners?

the answer is no they are not you may luck out but I really doubt it and you
may have already hooped the pcu by cleaning it
you may be able to get a refurbished one at a place like staples or grand
and toy and it is possible that you have caked the fuser roller with the
toner that you put in it and ran through it oh well . Good luck

DeMoN LaG 02-06-2004 09:02 PM

Re: Laserjet toners

"mike" <nospamforme@yup.no> wrote in
news:OvSUb.34987$9U5.1396214@news20.bellglobal.com :

> the answer is no they are not you may luck out but I really doubt it
> and you may have already hooped the pcu by cleaning it
> you may be able to get a refurbished one at a place like staples or
> grand and toy and it is possible that you have caked the fuser roller
> with the toner that you put in it and ran through it oh well .

Amazingly, this entire block of sentences connected with "and" and there is
only 1 punctuation mark in the entire thing.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

mike 02-06-2004 11:28 PM

Re: Laserjet toners

Amazingly you are were so anal as to point it out!

Cameron Gibbs 02-07-2004 01:54 AM

Re: Laserjet toners

"Thor" <man@arms.com> wrote in message news:<1027erp21td273@corp.supernews.com>...

> > Are photocopier toners compatible with LaserJet toners?

> I wouldn't advise using toner from something that it wasn't specifically
> designed for. The copier toner you used may be different in composition, and
> might not reliably fuse to the paper at the temperature your particular
> laser printer uses to do this. Or it may not properly respond to the charge
> your printer applies in order for it to adhere properly to paper before it
> is fused.

Thanks Thor.

As always, simple, to the point and brilliant.