Velocity Reviews

-   -   Suggestions for monitors (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t309694-suggestions-for-monitors.html)

Mark 02-06-2004 01:28 AM

Suggestions for monitors

My current monitor's messed up (it doesn't display any red) so I've been
looking around for a replacement, probably a 19 inch CRT. Basically I'm
just a general user, view a lot of text, some pictures and games,
graphics occasionally. Any suggestions of a good monitor? I've been
looking at the Samsung 955DF, and it generally sounds good, but I've
read a few bad user reviews so I have doubts. Anyone have any comments
about that specific monitor?

Thanks.

HF 02-06-2004 11:29 AM

Re: Suggestions for monitors

Well that is what reviews are for and another opinion might differ but then
where are you.????? Make up your own mind..
"Mark" <cak1988@SPAM.pink-flamingo.org> wrote in message
> My current monitor's messed up (it doesn't display any red) so I've been
> looking around for a replacement, probably a 19 inch CRT. Basically I'm
> just a general user, view a lot of text, some pictures and games,
> graphics occasionally. Any suggestions of a good monitor? I've been
> looking at the Samsung 955DF, and it generally sounds good, but I've
> read a few bad user reviews so I have doubts. Anyone have any comments
> about that specific monitor?
>

> Thanks.

---

gene 02-11-2004 10:09 AM

Re: Suggestions for monitors

I don't have comments on that specific monitor, but I can comment
generally. I just ordered and received a Dell monitor from
Tigerdirect. It was pretty inexpensive, but I was surprised that it
was manufactured in 1999 and that it is really bulky. It's a good
monitor, a 19" flat screen. But here again is a slight surprise, it's
not perfectly flat. It has some curve to it.

That's a little bit of a tangent, but the story is instructive; if you
live in a city, go check out the local offerings. You'll be able to
see for yourself which monitor you prefer. If you so choose, you can
then order it online. In this way, you'll not be surprised like I
was.

I'm not sure about Tiger Direct's return policy, but returning this
behemoth would be a bit of a pain, so I'll keep it. It's a decent
monitor, but not what I expected.

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 01:28:57 GMT, Mark
<cak1988@SPAM.pink-flamingo.org> wrote:

>My current monitor's messed up (it doesn't display any red) so I've been
>looking around for a replacement, probably a 19 inch CRT. Basically I'm
>just a general user, view a lot of text, some pictures and games,
>graphics occasionally. Any suggestions of a good monitor? I've been
>looking at the Samsung 955DF, and it generally sounds good, but I've
>read a few bad user reviews so I have doubts. Anyone have any comments
>about that specific monitor?
>

>Thanks.

Please respond to group; email address is just for spam. Thanks!

Thor 02-11-2004 01:14 PM

"gene" <elk3456@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I don't have comments on that specific monitor, but I can comment
> generally. I just ordered and received a Dell monitor from
> Tigerdirect. It was pretty inexpensive, but I was surprised that it
> was manufactured in 1999 and that it is really bulky. It's a good
> monitor, a 19" flat screen. But here again is a slight surprise, it's
> not perfectly flat. It has some curve to it.

"Flat" in a CRT monitor usually means vertically flat. Horizontally, some
degree of curvature usually still exists. There are a few "perfect flat"
CRTs out now, and they are pretty much flat on both planes, but a 1999 model
wouldn't likely have this feature. Are you sure yours isn't a refurbished
monitor? I find it unusual a 1999 model would be sold otherwise.

Roy@home.NOT 02-12-2004 06:01 AM

Re: Suggestions for monitors

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 01:28:57 GMT, Mark
<cak1988@SPAM.pink-flamingo.org> wrote:

>My current monitor's messed up (it doesn't display any red) so I've been
>looking around for a replacement, probably a 19 inch CRT. Basically I'm
>just a general user, view a lot of text, some pictures and games,
>graphics occasionally. Any suggestions of a good monitor? I've been
>looking at the Samsung 955DF, and it generally sounds good, but I've
>read a few bad user reviews so I have doubts. Anyone have any comments
>about that specific monitor?
>

>Thanks.

I probably have my terminology wrong. So somebody here can correct me.

I would avoid the "Shadow Mask" type and get a "Trinitron" type - the
one with 2 lines running across.

Roy - Carpe Noctem

DeMoN LaG 02-12-2004 06:40 AM

Roy@home.NOT wrote in news:bk5m20tge46oljq4b8clhnav7ta0ct3g8s@4ax.com:

> I would avoid the "Shadow Mask" type and get a "Trinitron" type - the
> one with 2 lines running across.

Terminology is not wrong at all. Trinitron tubes do indeed have 2 wires (3
wires on the larger displays, I believe) that run horizontally across the
screen. They are quite faint, and barely noticeable on any colored screen
(you can see them on a plain white screen usually). I don't mean an
ungodly ugly line or anything, but a faint grey line. If you use a
Trinitron monitor on a regular basis, eventually you don't even notice the
lines anymore, and other than that one minor shortfall their picture
quality is fantastic.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

Roy@home.NOT 02-12-2004 07:03 AM

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 06:40:11 -0000, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

>Roy@home.NOT wrote in news:bk5m20tge46oljq4b8clhnav7ta0ct3g8s@4ax.com:
>
>> I would avoid the "Shadow Mask" type and get a "Trinitron" type - the
>> one with 2 lines running across.

>Terminology is not wrong at all. Trinitron tubes do indeed have 2 wires (3
>wires on the larger displays, I believe) that run horizontally across the
>screen. They are quite faint, and barely noticeable on any colored screen
>(you can see them on a plain white screen usually). I don't mean an
>ungodly ugly line or anything, but a faint grey line. If you use a
>Trinitron monitor on a regular basis, eventually you don't even notice the
>lines anymore, and other than that one minor shortfall their picture
>quality is fantastic.

OTOH, the Shadow Mask type has a weird grid. After long usage, I tend
to have after images - kind of like minute honeycomb images. I hate my
current monitor and it's considered excellent.

Lord, won't you buy me a trinitron.

Roy - Carpe Noctem

gene 02-12-2004 02:40 PM

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 08:14:01 -0500, "Thor" <man@arms.com> wrote:
>"Flat" in a CRT monitor usually means vertically flat. Horizontally, some
>degree of curvature usually still exists. There are a few "perfect flat"
>CRTs out now, and they are pretty much flat on both planes, but a 1999 model
>wouldn't likely have this feature. Are you sure yours isn't a refurbished
>monitor? I find it unusual a 1999 model would be sold otherwise.

Hi Thor.

It is indeed a "recertified" monitor. I think this is another way of
saying "refurbished". Come to think of it, what does this mean? The
website I purchased it from claims recertified means that it was
shipped to a customer (By Dell, I guess), and was returned (due to a
defect, probably).

The claim is that the product is then checked and repaired and then
sold again, to me. By this description, I figured that the monitor
would have been manufactured more recently.

That said, the monitor was only about $118 US after $20 rebate. It's
a Dell D1226H 19" monitor. The site claimed it is a Trinitron, but I
don't see the two horizontal lines I expected. The site also said it
was flat; there's a slight curvature in either axis, but I guess for
classification purposes, it could be considered "flat".

I hope this doesn't come off as whiny. I think it was a good deal
considering the price paid for a large monitor. Just that I was
surprised by the purchase, is all.
Please respond to group; email address is just for spam. Thanks!

Thor 02-12-2004 05:34 PM

> On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 08:14:01 -0500, "Thor" <man@arms.com> wrote:
> >"Flat" in a CRT monitor usually means vertically flat. Horizontally, some
> >degree of curvature usually still exists. There are a few "perfect flat"
> >CRTs out now, and they are pretty much flat on both planes, but a 1999

model
> >wouldn't likely have this feature. Are you sure yours isn't a refurbished
> >monitor? I find it unusual a 1999 model would be sold otherwise.
> >

> Hi Thor.
>
> It is indeed a "recertified" monitor. I think this is another way of
> saying "refurbished". Come to think of it, what does this mean? The
> website I purchased it from claims recertified means that it was
> shipped to a customer (By Dell, I guess), and was returned (due to a
> defect, probably).

Could have been a defective one to start with, but more likely someone just
opened it, and then sent it back. Happens quite often. Since it was opened
by a customer, many companies won't resell them as "new" but sell them as
"recertfied", because they are checked over.

> The claim is that the product is then checked and repaired and then
> sold again, to me. By this description, I figured that the monitor
> would have been manufactured more recently.

Could have been old stock sitting around some warehouse for awhile. It's
hard to tell for certain.

> That said, the monitor was only about $118 US after $20 rebate. It's
> a Dell D1226H 19" monitor. The site claimed it is a Trinitron, but I
> don't see the two horizontal lines I expected. The site also said it
> was flat; there's a slight curvature in either axis, but I guess for
> classification purposes, it could be considered "flat".

If you don't see the lines (look hard on a bright background because they
are faint) then it's not likely to be a Trinitron. Curvature on the
horizontal axis is normal even for a trinitron, but vertically it should be
pretty much flat.

> I hope this doesn't come off as whiny. I think it was a good deal
> considering the price paid for a large monitor. Just that I was
> surprised by the purchase, is all.

Does it have any warranty?

gene 02-13-2004 01:34 AM

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:34:57 -0500, "Thor" <man@arms.com> wrote:

>If you don't see the lines (look hard on a bright background because they
>are faint) then it's not likely to be a Trinitron. Curvature on the
>horizontal axis is normal even for a trinitron, but vertically it should be
>pretty much flat.

It's not perfectly flat vertically, nor does it have the lines, unless
they are really really faint. I guess it's a case of mis-advertised
product. Still quite impressed with it. The lines of the Trinitron
kind of bugged me, so that's kind of good news/bad news.

>Does it have any warranty?

I think it has a 3 month waranty. I expect it will easily outlast
that. Hopefully it will last a few years at least.

Please respond to group; email address is just for spam. Thanks!