Velocity Reviews

-   -   Please help with PC that can't read certain disk (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t309673-please-help-with-pc-that-cant-read-certain-disk.html)

MBell72398 02-04-2004 04:04 PM

Please help with PC that can't read certain disk

I am having a time with a customers PC. I formatted his HD(twice now) and
installed 2000Pro. He has a couple of CD's made by his family that have these
flip pages in an album called Flip Pro 5.0. When trying to access, he gets and
error that prompts him to format the disk. Well, of course he can't. I thought
his CDROM may have been too old and replaced with new CD Burner running Nero
5.0. The same thing happens. I have ran these CD's on several other pc's with
no problem. I have did all MS updates also.
Any ideas?
Thanks, Mike

Please remove nospam to email me
Michael Bell @Bell Electronics
Rincon, GA.31326

Alex Devlin 02-04-2004 04:19 PM

Re: Please help with PC that can't read certain disk

On 04 Feb 2004, MBell72398 wrote:

> I am having a time with a customers PC. I formatted his HD(twice now)
> and installed 2000Pro. He has a couple of CD's made by his family that
> have these flip pages in an album called Flip Pro 5.0. When trying to
> access, he gets and error that prompts him to format the disk. Well,
> of course he can't. I thought his CDROM may have been too old and
> replaced with new CD Burner running Nero 5.0. The same thing happens.
> I have ran these CD's on several other pc's with no problem. I have
> did all MS updates also. Any ideas?
> Thanks, Mike
>
> Please remove nospam to email me
> Michael Bell @Bell Electronics
> Rincon, GA.31326

What is the error you get when it crashes?
Have you tried moving his hard drive into one of the other PCs you know
can run the programme? If you do and it works then it's probably a
hardware problem. I'd start with new cables and new memory before looking
at a new motherboard.

--
Alex Devlin

Good friends will bail you out of jail...
... True friends will be sitting there with you saying "Damn. That was
fun!"

Oldus Fartus 02-04-2004 04:35 PM

MBell72398 wrote:

> I am having a time with a customers PC. I formatted his HD(twice now) and
> installed 2000Pro. He has a couple of CD's made by his family that have these
> flip pages in an album called Flip Pro 5.0. When trying to access, he gets and
> error that prompts him to format the disk. Well, of course he can't. I thought
> his CDROM may have been too old and replaced with new CD Burner running Nero
> 5.0. The same thing happens. I have ran these CD's on several other pc's with
> no problem. I have did all MS updates also.

Why did you have to format and install 2000 Pro Mike? Was the computer
unable to read these CDs before the re-format, or only since it was done?

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

colin 02-05-2004 01:32 AM

MBell72398 <mbell72398@aol.comnospam> wrote in message
> I am having a time with a customers PC. I formatted his HD(twice now) and
> installed 2000Pro. He has a couple of CD's made by his family that have

these
> flip pages in an album called Flip Pro 5.0. When trying to access, he gets

and
> error that prompts him to format the disk. Well, of course he can't. I

thought
> his CDROM may have been too old and replaced with new CD Burner running

Nero
> 5.0. The same thing happens. I have ran these CD's on several other pc's

with
> no problem. I have did all MS updates also.
> Any ideas?
> Thanks, Mike
>
> Please remove nospam to email me
> Michael Bell @Bell Electronics
> Rincon, GA.31326

http://www.phdcc.com/dynamic-cd/cdrw.asp

"Without UDF drivers, the CD-RW will be unreadable. UDF is an acronym for
"Universal Disk Format" - a filesystem specification intended for use on
write-once and re-writable media."

Trent© 02-05-2004 03:51 AM

Re: Please help with PC that can't read certain disk

On 04 Feb 2004 16:04:35 GMT, mbell72398@aol.comnospam (MBell72398)
wrote:

>I am having a time with a customers PC. I formatted his HD(twice now) and
>installed 2000Pro. He has a couple of CD's made by his family that have these
>flip pages in an album called Flip Pro 5.0. When trying to access,

Access the cd?...in the cdrom?

>he gets and
>error that prompts him to format the disk.

It sounds like its looking for an improper drive letter. How was the
old machine configured?...hardware, etc.? Check the .ini file for the
program...and any configuration file you can find on the cd.

>Well, of course he can't. I thought
>his CDROM may have been too old and replaced with new CD Burner running Nero
>5.0. The same thing happens. I have ran these CD's on several other pc's with
>no problem. I have did all MS updates also.

Sounds like a drive letter/configuration problem. Did you take a good
look at the cd thru Windows Explorer?

Have a nice week...

Trent

MBell72398 02-05-2004 06:31 PM

Re: Please help with PC that can't read certain disk

Thanks to all. I tried that same CD on another machine running 2000PRO and had
the same problem. I upgraded customer to XP and that works for hime.