Velocity Reviews

-   -   Zone Alarm (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t309557-zone-alarm.html)

01-26-2004 12:26 PM

Zone Alarm

I recently went from dial-up Internet access to broadband through a cable
modem and have been running Zone Alarm on the two computers in my small home
network using a Linlksys BESR-41
hub-router. Every thing has worked well except that I am unable to access
Computer B from Computer A or its attached network printer. I have added
Computer A to the "trusted zone" and then I can access shared files and the
printer but every time I reboot I have the same problem. Computer A (a
laptop) is running Win XP Pro and Computer B (a desktop) is running Win 2K.
Can someone give me detailed instructions on how to set up the right setting
to solve this problem.

philo 01-26-2004 02:50 PM

Re: Zone Alarm

<Coria1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
news:AH7Rb.116930$I05.2250001@twister.tampabay.rr. com...
> I recently went from dial-up Internet access to broadband through a cable
> modem and have been running Zone Alarm on the two computers in my small

home
> network using a Linlksys BESR-41
> hub-router. Every thing has worked well except that I am unable to

access
> Computer B from Computer A or its attached network printer. I have added
> Computer A to the "trusted zone" and then I can access shared files and

the
> printer but every time I reboot I have the same problem. Computer A (a
> laptop) is running Win XP Pro and Computer B (a desktop) is running Win

2K.
> Can someone give me detailed instructions on how to set up the right

setting
> to solve this problem.

I had a similar problem and ended up having to turn the security down from
hi to medium

that did the trick. I use the free version of zone alarm and would suppose
the pro version

would have better configurability

Duane Arnold 01-26-2004 05:43 PM

Re: Zone Alarm

<Coria1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in
news:AH7Rb.116930$I05.2250001@twister.tampabay.rr. com:

> I recently went from dial-up Internet access to broadband through a
> cable modem and have been running Zone Alarm on the two computers in
> my small home network using a Linlksys BESR-41
> hub-router. Every thing has worked well except that I am unable to
> access Computer B from Computer A or its attached network printer. I
> have added Computer A to the "trusted zone" and then I can access
> shared files and the printer but every time I reboot I have the same
> problem. Computer A (a laptop) is running Win XP Pro and Computer B
> (a desktop) is running Win 2K. Can someone give me detailed
> instructions on how to set up the right setting to solve this problem.

You're behind a NAT router which is basic type of FW.

If you're having problems with a 3rd party host based FW, then dump it
and go to IPsec which is on the Win2k and XP O/S(s).

You'll notice in the chart about the Windows Networking ports on a LAN
and Ipsec's configuration to allow traffic between machines on a LAN.

http://www.petri.co.il/ipsec_block_ping.htm

Google is loaded with the basic howto(s) on IPsec and there is the *Help
section* on the O/S as well.

http://www.uksecurityonline.com/husdg/windows2000.php

The protection starts with the O/S and everything else is secondary to it
in the protection, that includes the router, FW, AV and anything else.

The buck stops at the O/S.

Ipsec can be used to stop outbound connections by port, protocol, DNS, IP
etc, etc.

Use Active Ports (free use Google) to watch inbound and outbound
connections on the machine.

Use Walwatcher (free) to watch inbound and outbound traffic to and from
the BEF model router.

Duane :)

Drifter 01-26-2004 11:42 PM

Re: Zone Alarm

>I recently went from dial-up Internet access to broadband through a cable
>modem and have been running Zone Alarm on the two computers in my small home
>network using a Linlksys BESR-41
>hub-router. Every thing has worked well except that I am unable to access
>Computer B from Computer A or its attached network printer. I have added
>Computer A to the "trusted zone" and then I can access shared files and the
>printer but every time I reboot I have the same problem. Computer A (a
>laptop) is running Win XP Pro and Computer B (a desktop) is running Win 2K.
>Can someone give me detailed instructions on how to set up the right setting
>to solve this problem.

I think the latest version of ZA pro has a couple of bugs. I have
emailed Zone labs repeatedly and I either get ignored or get one of
the idiotic stock email replies.

Drifter

Trent© 01-27-2004 03:43 AM

Re: Zone Alarm

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 12:26:08 GMT, <Coria1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

>I recently went from dial-up Internet access to broadband through a cable
>modem and have been running Zone Alarm on the two computers in my small home
>network using a Linlksys BESR-41
>hub-router. Every thing has worked well except that I am unable to access
>Computer B from Computer A or its attached network printer. I have added
>Computer A to the "trusted zone" and then I can access shared files and the
>printer but every time I reboot I have the same problem. Computer A (a
>laptop) is running Win XP Pro and Computer B (a desktop) is running Win 2K.
>Can someone give me detailed instructions on how to set up the right setting
>to solve this problem.

Did you have this problem before you install ZA?

Have a nice week...

Trent

If the cheese isn't yours...its Nacho cheese, man!

Jerry G. 01-27-2004 04:30 AM

Re: Zone Alarm

Uninstall Zone Alarm. Use a router that has a built in firewall that can go
only between the high speed modem and your network, or get an external
hardware firewall.

These firewall software's are heavy on resources and mostly cause the
problems you are describing.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG