Velocity Reviews

-   -   Windows 98 keeps rebooting and shutting down (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t309502-windows-98-keeps-rebooting-and-shutting-down.html)

Skydog 01-21-2004 06:55 PM

Windows 98 keeps rebooting and shutting down

My win98 keeps rebooting and shutting down. I really don't want to change
the OS 'coz this pc was given to me and have some stuff I don't want to
change just yet. Where can I find the fix for this. Thanks.

skydog

GG PYNDANSKI 01-21-2004 10:52 PM

Re: Windows 98 keeps rebooting and shutting down

its called windows xp and it doesnt really change anything. you get get the
upgrade for $99 at amazon.com. its a good fix. you should take my advice
news:jWzPb.2447$96.815523904@newssvr11.news.prodig y.com...

mark mandel 01-22-2004 01:10 AM

Re: Windows 98 keeps rebooting and shutting down

"Skydog" <skydog@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:jWzPb.2447$96.815523904@newssvr11.news.prodig y.com...
> My win98 keeps rebooting and shutting down. I really don't want to change
> the OS 'coz this pc was given to me and have some stuff I don't want to
> change just yet. Where can I find the fix for this. Thanks.
>
> skydog

This could be software or hardware related so there could be a variety of
causes(i.e., overheated CPU, failing power supply, insufficient RAM for the
number of applications you're running, etc.). So just changing the OS alone
is probably not advisable if you don't know exactly what the cause is.

You could start by going to the Microsoft Knowledge Base or Google and
typing in the symptoms to get more info.

Mark Mandell

Joe 01-22-2004 02:37 AM

Re: Windows 98 keeps rebooting and shutting down

First thing I would do is make sure its not a virus.
Joe

Mark Mandell 01-22-2004 04:37 AM

"Pepperoni" <undeliverableaddy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> It could also be a virus. I don't recall the name, but we had one last

year
> that rebooted machines repeatedly.

That's true or even a trojan. So in addition to an anti-virus scan, run a
program like Spybot S & D(search and destroy).

Pepperoni 01-22-2004 04:41 AM

Wizard 01-22-2004 12:04 PM

Re: Windows 98 keeps rebooting and shutting down

Nonsense ... Never change or upgrade the OS to solve problems. It will
only multiply your problems!

Trent© 01-22-2004 03:17 PM

Re: Windows 98 keeps rebooting and shutting down

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 04:37:10 GMT, "Mark Mandell"
<msmandl@earthlink.net> wrote:

>"Pepperoni" <undeliverableaddy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> It could also be a virus. I don't recall the name, but we had one last

>year
>> that rebooted machines repeatedly.

>That's true or even a trojan. So in addition to an anti-virus scan, run a
>program like Spybot S & D(search and destroy).

Which virii cause a reboot?

Have a nice week...

Trent

If the cheese isn't yours...its Nacho cheese, man!

Trent© 01-22-2004 03:19 PM

Re: Windows 98 keeps rebooting and shutting down

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 18:55:11 GMT, "Skydog" <skydog@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>My win98 keeps rebooting and shutting down. I really don't want to change
>the OS 'coz this pc was given to me and have some stuff I don't want to
>change just yet. Where can I find the fix for this. Thanks.
>
>skydog

Operating systems don't reboot...computers do.

You need to find out if the problem is with the hardware...or with the
software.

How long does it take to reboot after you start up the computer?
Create a rescue disk...boot into it...let the machine sit there for a
couple of hours...or whatever time it usually took to notice the
problem.

Then get back to us.

Pepperoni 01-22-2004 03:59 PM

"Trent©" <trentsauder@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >"Pepperoni" <undeliverableaddy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> It could also be a virus. I don't recall the name, but we had one last

> >year
> >> that rebooted machines repeatedly.

> Which virii cause a reboot?

Do you get an error message, or a warning of timed shut down?
There are several, and I don't recall them all.
lovsan and blaster come to mind---may be varients of the same virus.
---------------------------
W32/Lovsan.worm.a
Aliases
W32.Blaster.E.Worm (NAV), W32/Blaster-E (Sophos)
http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_100547.htm
Symptoms
- Presence of unusual TFTP* files
- Presence of the file msblast.exe in the WINDOWS SYSTEM32 directory
- Error messages about the RPC service failing (causes system to reboot)
- The worm randomly opens 20 sequential TCP ports for listening. This is a
constantly revolving range (ie. 2500-2520, 2501-2521, 2502-2522). The
purpose of this action is unknown
W32/Lovsan.worm.a