Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Information (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f41-computer-information.html)
-   -   $35 CD Buners (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t309474-35-cd-buners.html)

Insoo 01-19-2004 05:42 PM

$35 CD Buners
 
Would a $35, LG 52x24x52 burner not work properly or go out on me in the
near future after I use it? Would it be better to buy a retailed burner for
about $80?



mcheu 01-19-2004 09:07 PM

Re: $35 CD Buners
 
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 17:42:54 GMT, "Insoo" <insoo01@comcast.net>
wrote::

>Would a $35, LG 52x24x52 burner not work properly or go out on me in the
>near future after I use it? Would it be better to buy a retailed burner for
>about $80?
>


I presume you're talking about an OEM LG 52x24x52 burner. Those are
quite good, and I heartily recommend them. The only thing you won't
get vs the retail version are:

1. Mounting screws. Gotta find small pc screws yourself. Most shops
carry them. They used to give them to you free with a drive, but
these days, you usually have to buy them. Most of the local stores
charge a nickel a piece for the screws -- so add .20 to the price.

2. No internal audio cable. You can use digital audio extraction to
play your CDs if you wish, but if you want to play the CDs via an
analog connection, you'll probably want one of these. The alternative
is to use the audio plug up front, but that looks horrible. Add $4 to
the price.

3. A bit of confusion on the warranty situation. LG seems to have
shifted their terms a bit when it comes to the warranty on the bare
drives. They used to call them OEM, and back then, the warranty was
with the store. With the my last couple of LG drives, the store
called them "bulk" drives, and informed me that the warranty was
through LG. Any problems beyond the 14 day exchange period with the
store, and I had to RMA it myself with LG (same as the retail drive).
Not nearly as convenient, but I get a bit longer warranty. The days
of walking to the corner store and walking home with a replacement the
same day are apparently over.

You *DO* get software with it. Nero 5.5 or 6.0 with newer manufacture
drives, and EasyCD5 with older drives. You can usually see the CD
under the drive in the plastic, and can clearly make out which
software you're getting. The newer drives with Nero don't come with a
full printed manual. The older drives with EasyCD 5 do, but the trade
off is that EasyCD5 is crippled in the older bundle.

Assuming the drive's new and not a refurb, there's really no reason
not to get it.
----------------------------------------
Thanks,
MCheu

user@domain.invalid 01-19-2004 11:27 PM

Re: $35 CD Buners
 


Insoo wrote:

> Would a $35, LG 52x24x52 burner not work properly or go out on me in the
> near future after I use it? Would it be better to buy a retailed burner for
> about $80?
>
>

I agree with MCheu, LG are great burners. I have two and I have
recommended them to others. All have worked just great.


DeMoN LaG 01-20-2004 12:02 AM

Re: $35 CD Buners
 
"Insoo" <insoo01@comcast.net> wrote in
news:xGUOb.101602$na.53652@attbi_s04:

> Would a $35, LG 52x24x52 burner not work properly or go out on me in
> the near future after I use it? Would it be better to buy a retailed
> burner for about $80?


If you wanted to get a cheap burner, I would go with a LiteOn 52x24x52 for
around $45. Comes with all the mounting stuff, Nero, CD Audio cable,
everything you need.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
website: under construction
Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
email/IM for rates/services

Hank 01-20-2004 12:55 AM

Re: $35 CD Buners
 

"DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
news:Xns9475C186A1165Wobbly@216.168.3.30...
> "Insoo" <insoo01@comcast.net> wrote in
> news:xGUOb.101602$na.53652@attbi_s04:
>
> If you wanted to get a cheap burner, I would go with a LiteOn 52x24x52 for
> around $45. Comes with all the mounting stuff, Nero, CD Audio cable,
> everything you need.
>
> --
> AIM: FrznFoodClerk
> email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
> website: under construction
> Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
> email/IM for rates/services


Yep LiteOn would be my choice too, NewEgg has the 52X32X52 for 36 bucks OEM
or 38 bucks retail and free shipping to boot. http://tinyurl.com/33gmc
I have two of them and couldn't be happier.

Hank



DeMoN LaG 01-20-2004 01:31 AM

Re: $35 CD Buners
 
"Hank" <hank@youbetya.com> wrote in news:V%_Ob.32100$P%1.25565562
@newssvr28.news.prodigy.com:

> I have two of them and couldn't be happier.


I have 2, and having installed a half dozen or so in the past year for
clients. Never had a complaint before, except one customer complained that
the damned thing burned so fast they felt a need to replace their 32x
blanks with 52x ones, just to get the extra speed.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
website: under construction
Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
email/IM for rates/services

Insoo 01-20-2004 05:24 AM

Re: $35 CD Buners
 
thanks for all the advice guys, I could just use the mounting screws and
audio cable from my existing 8x burner. I'm also looking at an LG DVD/CD RW
combo, for about $70. What good or useful would a DVD burner be?


"Insoo" <insoo01@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:xGUOb.101602$na.53652@attbi_s04...
> Would a $35, LG 52x24x52 burner not work properly or go out on me in the
> near future after I use it? Would it be better to buy a retailed burner

for
> about $80?
>
>




olfart 01-20-2004 05:29 AM

Re: $35 CD Buners
 
bet you could burn DVD's as well as CDR's
"Insoo" <insoo01@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:BY2Pb.103446$I06.530528@attbi_s01...
> thanks for all the advice guys, I could just use the mounting screws and
> audio cable from my existing 8x burner. I'm also looking at an LG DVD/CD RW
> combo, for about $70. What good or useful would a DVD burner be?
>
>
> "Insoo" <insoo01@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:xGUOb.101602$na.53652@attbi_s04...
> > Would a $35, LG 52x24x52 burner not work properly or go out on me in the
> > near future after I use it? Would it be better to buy a retailed burner

> for
> > about $80?
> >
> >

>
>




DeMoN LaG 01-20-2004 05:48 AM

Re: $35 CD Buners
 
"Insoo" <insoo01@comcast.net> wrote in
news:BY2Pb.103446$I06.530528@attbi_s01:

> thanks for all the advice guys, I could just use the mounting screws
> and audio cable from my existing 8x burner. I'm also looking at an LG
> DVD/CD RW combo, for about $70. What good or useful would a DVD
> burner be?
>


It would be good for burning DVDs, but the drive you are looking at is not
a DVD burner. It is a DVD/CDRW combo. That means it can:
Read:
CD
DVD
Burn
CDR
CDRW

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
website: under construction
Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
email/IM for rates/services

Arno and Triny 01-20-2004 10:10 AM

Re: $35 CD Buners
 
I have had 2 liteon drive and burn them both, on the third one now.

Why you will ask, because they are really good price and work very well I
might just have been unlucky twice I guess.....

Arnaud
"DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
news:Xns9475D09FBAFAEWobbly@216.168.3.30...
> "Hank" <hank@youbetya.com> wrote in news:V%_Ob.32100$P%1.25565562
> @newssvr28.news.prodigy.com:
>
> > I have two of them and couldn't be happier.

>
> I have 2, and having installed a half dozen or so in the past year for
> clients. Never had a complaint before, except one customer complained

that
> the damned thing burned so fast they felt a need to replace their 32x
> blanks with 52x ones, just to get the extra speed.
>
> --
> AIM: FrznFoodClerk
> email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
> website: under construction
> Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
> email/IM for rates/services





All times are GMT. The time now is 10:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.