Velocity Reviews

-   -   Gigabyte Motherboard Hassles (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t309464-gigabyte-motherboard-hassles.html)

Tony 01-19-2004 01:50 AM

Gigabyte Motherboard Hassles

I upgraded my motherboard from an ECS K7S5A Pro to a Gigabyte GA 7N400
Pro 2 board last week. Fun. After getting the BIOS calmed down (I
thought), the machine would only shut off at the power switch; the
little shut off button on the Windows XP screen didn't shut it off, it
just restarted it. After posting questions to both Gigabyte and
Microsoft, and formatting the machine because neither of them had
answers (other than Microsoft's representative throwing his hands up
and telling me to reformat and do a clean install of WindowsXP --
stupidly I believed him). The machine STILL wouldn't shut down. After
trying everything I went through Power Management in the BIOS and
started disabling things. Guess what worked? "PowerModemOn", even
though I don't have the modem on the board enabled.

OK, so I figured that was it, and tried to play a couple of the Medal
of Honor expansion packs, and Call of Duty from Activision, and I get
this message in an error screen entitled "Cannot locate the CD-ROM" :
"Please insert the correct CD-ROM, select OK and restart application."

Now I had just installed ALL of the above games from the CDs, and when
I pop them in I get the opening screens that say "Play, Install,
Single Player, Multi Player," etc. So it recognizes the CD is in
there. I click on "Play," and I get the error.

Interestingly enough, the original Medal of Honor Allied Assault
plays, but its expansion packs don't. Other games such as Mafia and
Diablo 2 play. It's not as though the machine doesn't see the CD, and
the disc contents show up if I look at the drive in My Computer.

Am I missing a setting in Device Manager or something? The IDE
ATA/ATAPI Controller gives me a whole bunch of different possibilities
as to how to set up the drives. What should they be set at? (Primary
and secondary channels right now are set at "BIOS default," which is
Multi-Word DMA2).

These Gigabyte boards get great writeups in Tom's Hardware, but I have
to tell you, I have never had the hassles with any motherboard I have
ever used that I have experienced with setting this thing up. I had
hoped that I would actually be able to use the machine this month.

Anyone who can help me -- I'd really appreciate some input. Please!

Thanks
Herp

RedBack 01-19-2004 02:05 AM

Re: Gigabyte Motherboard Hassles

On 18 Jan 2004 17:50:38 -0800, abford129@cox.net (Tony) wrote :

>I upgraded my motherboard from an ECS K7S5A Pro to a Gigabyte GA 7N400
>Pro 2 board last week. Fun. After getting the BIOS calmed down (I
>thought), the machine would only shut off at the power switch; the
>little shut off button on the Windows XP screen didn't shut it off, it
>just restarted it. After posting questions to both Gigabyte and
>Microsoft, and formatting the machine because neither of them had
>answers (other than Microsoft's representative throwing his hands up
>and telling me to reformat and do a clean install of WindowsXP --
>stupidly I believed him). The machine STILL wouldn't shut down. After
>trying everything I went through Power Management in the BIOS and
>started disabling things. Guess what worked? "PowerModemOn", even
>though I don't have the modem on the board enabled.
>
>OK, so I figured that was it, and tried to play a couple of the Medal
>of Honor expansion packs, and Call of Duty from Activision, and I get
>this message in an error screen entitled "Cannot locate the CD-ROM" :
>"Please insert the correct CD-ROM, select OK and restart application."
>
>Now I had just installed ALL of the above games from the CDs, and when
>I pop them in I get the opening screens that say "Play, Install,
>Single Player, Multi Player," etc. So it recognizes the CD is in
>there. I click on "Play," and I get the error.
>
>Interestingly enough, the original Medal of Honor Allied Assault
>plays, but its expansion packs don't. Other games such as Mafia and
>Diablo 2 play. It's not as though the machine doesn't see the CD, and
>the disc contents show up if I look at the drive in My Computer.
>
>Am I missing a setting in Device Manager or something? The IDE
>ATA/ATAPI Controller gives me a whole bunch of different possibilities
>as to how to set up the drives. What should they be set at? (Primary
>and secondary channels right now are set at "BIOS default," which is
>Multi-Word DMA2).
>
>These Gigabyte boards get great writeups in Tom's Hardware, but I have
>to tell you, I have never had the hassles with any motherboard I have
>ever used that I have experienced with setting this thing up. I had
>hoped that I would actually be able to use the machine this month.
>
>Anyone who can help me -- I'd really appreciate some input. Please!
>
>Thanks
>Herp

I think you might be looking in the wrong place..first I would check
to see if your Power supply and memory are OK before blaming the mobo
Ive found cheap PS and memory are the cause of most problems with user
upgrading their systems...Then I would check out the video card....
keep it simple and don't tweak the bios unless you know exactly what
you are doing..keep the default values until you know everything is
working OK

RedBack

derek / nul 01-19-2004 02:54 AM

Re: Gigabyte Motherboard Hassles

On 18 Jan 2004 17:50:38 -0800, abford129@cox.net (Tony) wrote:

>I upgraded my motherboard from an ECS K7S5A Pro to a Gigabyte GA 7N400
>Pro 2 board last week.

I assume this is the first motherboard swap you have done with XP?
With 98 m/b swaps are easy, with XP only nightmares.

> Fun. After getting the BIOS calmed down (I
>thought), the machine would only shut off at the power switch; the
>little shut off button on the Windows XP screen didn't shut it off, it
>just restarted it.

There is a registry entry for this, but ONLY if system | properties shows the
computer as an ACPI computer.

> After posting questions to both Gigabyte and
>Microsoft, and formatting the machine because neither of them had
>answers (other than Microsoft's representative throwing his hands up
>and telling me to reformat and do a clean install of WindowsXP --
>stupidly I believed him). The machine STILL wouldn't shut down. After
>trying everything I went through Power Management in the BIOS and
>started disabling things. Guess what worked? "PowerModemOn", even
>though I don't have the modem on the board enabled.

That 'may' not be the whole story.

>OK, so I figured that was it, and tried to play a couple of the Medal
>of Honor expansion packs, and Call of Duty from Activision, and I get
>this message in an error screen entitled "Cannot locate the CD-ROM" :
>"Please insert the correct CD-ROM, select OK and restart application."
>
>Now I had just installed ALL of the above games from the CDs, and when
>I pop them in I get the opening screens that say "Play, Install,
>Single Player, Multi Player," etc. So it recognizes the CD is in
>there. I click on "Play," and I get the error.
>
>Interestingly enough, the original Medal of Honor Allied Assault
>plays, but its expansion packs don't. Other games such as Mafia and
>Diablo 2 play. It's not as though the machine doesn't see the CD, and
>the disc contents show up if I look at the drive in My Computer.
>
>Am I missing a setting in Device Manager or something? The IDE
>ATA/ATAPI Controller gives me a whole bunch of different possibilities
>as to how to set up the drives. What should they be set at? (Primary
>and secondary channels right now are set at "BIOS default," which is
>Multi-Word DMA2).

No, this is definitely wrong, they should se set for (checking mine) "dma if
available"

>These Gigabyte boards get great writeups in Tom's Hardware, but I have
>to tell you, I have never had the hassles with any motherboard I have
>ever used that I have experienced with setting this thing up. I had
>hoped that I would actually be able to use the machine this month.

It just sounds to me like XP has not installed correctly, or you have not
installed the drivers from the motherboard cd.

Derek

Trent© 01-19-2004 03:32 AM

Re: Gigabyte Motherboard Hassles

On 18 Jan 2004 17:50:38 -0800, abford129@cox.net (Tony) wrote:

>I upgraded my motherboard from an ECS K7S5A Pro to a Gigabyte GA 7N400
>Pro 2 board last week. Fun. After getting the BIOS calmed down (I
>thought), the machine would only shut off at the power switch; the
>little shut off button on the Windows XP screen didn't shut it off, it
>just restarted it. After posting questions to both Gigabyte and
>Microsoft, and formatting the machine because neither of them had
>answers (other than Microsoft's representative throwing his hands up
>and telling me to reformat and do a clean install of WindowsXP --
>stupidly I believed him).

In this particular case, he was correct. XP is reading all the data
from the old board. XP is NOT like any of the preceding Windows. Its
not that all forgiving.

>The machine STILL wouldn't shut down. After
>trying everything I went through Power Management in the BIOS and
>started disabling things. Guess what worked? "PowerModemOn", even
>though I don't have the modem on the board enabled.

You need to check and see what type of computer it was recognized as
by the XP install. Device Manager/Computer.

Did you also check the power settings in Control Panel?

Do a Google search on this...there's a few white papers on the
subject.

>OK, so I figured that was it, and tried to play a couple of the Medal
>of Honor expansion packs, and Call of Duty from Activision, and I get
>this message in an error screen entitled "Cannot locate the CD-ROM" :
>"Please insert the correct CD-ROM, select OK and restart application."
>
>Now I had just installed ALL of the above games from the CDs, and when
>I pop them in I get the opening screens that say "Play, Install,
>Single Player, Multi Player," etc. So it recognizes the CD is in
>there. I click on "Play," and I get the error.

Obviously, this has nothing to do with the motherboard. This is a
software-specific problem.

>Interestingly enough, the original Medal of Honor Allied Assault
>plays, but its expansion packs don't. Other games such as Mafia and
>Diablo 2 play. It's not as though the machine doesn't see the CD, and
>the disc contents show up if I look at the drive in My Computer.

Its the SOFTWARE that doesn't see the CD...not the mainboard.

>These Gigabyte boards get great writeups in Tom's Hardware, but I have
>to tell you, I have never had the hassles with any motherboard I have
>ever used that I have experienced with setting this thing up. I had
>hoped that I would actually be able to use the machine this month.

How many other XP machines have you changed mb's in? I use a lot of
Gigs...never a problem.

Make sure you run everything necessary from the install CD.

Good luck.

Have a nice week...

Trent

If the cheese isn't yours...its Nacho cheese!

DeMoN LaG 01-19-2004 05:58 AM

Re: Gigabyte Motherboard Hassles

abford129@cox.net (Tony) wrote in news:4952fa57.0401181750.1fa310f2
@posting.google.com:

> OK, so I figured that was it, and tried to play a couple of the Medal
> of Honor expansion packs, and Call of Duty from Activision, and I get
> this message in an error screen entitled "Cannot locate the CD-ROM" :
> "Please insert the correct CD-ROM, select OK and restart application."

This sounds like either your CD/DVD drive is not compatible with the copy
protection software used by these games, or you didn't install the games
correctly.

> Now I had just installed ALL of the above games from the CDs, and when
> I pop them in I get the opening screens that say "Play, Install,
> Single Player, Multi Player," etc. So it recognizes the CD is in
> there. I click on "Play," and I get the error.

Yup, it happens sometimes when you set stuff up wrong.

> Interestingly enough, the original Medal of Honor Allied Assault
> plays, but its expansion packs don't. Other games such as Mafia and
> Diablo 2 play. It's not as though the machine doesn't see the CD, and
> the disc contents show up if I look at the drive in My Computer.

Not relavent in the least. The games do see the CDROM, but they don't
recognize it as the disc required by their copy protection software

> Am I missing a setting in Device Manager or something? The IDE
> ATA/ATAPI Controller gives me a whole bunch of different possibilities
> as to how to set up the drives. What should they be set at? (Primary
> and secondary channels right now are set at "BIOS default," which is
> Multi-Word DMA2).

Unless this machine is archaic, it sounds like you didn't install the
motherboard drivers, or set your BIOS up to allow only PIO data
transfers. The channel with your hard drives should be using UltraDMA
Mode 2, 4, 5 or 6 (depending if your drive is ATA33, ATA66, ATA100, or
ATA133).

> These Gigabyte boards get great writeups in Tom's Hardware, but I have
> to tell you, I have never had the hassles with any motherboard I have
> ever used that I have experienced with setting this thing up. I had
> hoped that I would actually be able to use the machine this month.

Never had a problem with a Gigabyte board like you are seeing. It most
definitely is a software issue caused either by improper setup or you
doing something like forgetting to install your motherboard's chipset
drivers.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

AlanC 05-13-2009 05:11 PM

Hi I have two GA-7N400 Pro mobo's with the same exact prblem. Both will play some games but they won't play the MOH expansion. Did you ever get it working if so how?