Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Information (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f41-computer-information.html)
-   -   Wireless set-up advise required.... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t309385-wireless-set-up-advise-required.html)

John \O\ 01-13-2004 11:58 PM

Wireless set-up advise required....
 
Hi, I am in the process of setting up a wireless network within the home and
just wondered on what Wireless kits are fast, reliable and also value for
money.

I'll be connecting up 2x Dell Latitude Laptops and am currently subscribed
to NTL Broadband.

Any help would be appreciated.

JJ



Night_Seer 01-14-2004 12:09 AM

Re: Wireless set-up advise required....
 
John "O" wrote:
> Hi, I am in the process of setting up a wireless network within the
> home and just wondered on what Wireless kits are fast, reliable and
> also value for money.
>
> I'll be connecting up 2x Dell Latitude Laptops and am currently
> subscribed to NTL Broadband.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> JJ


I have used only one so far, and its given me very few problems (the
occasional rest is necessary) it is a Link-Sys

--
Night_Seer



Bill Nathan 01-14-2004 12:10 AM

Re: Wireless set-up advise required....
 
Buy wireless router and a PCMIA network card for the laptops. Then run the
software.
"John "O"" <ItsMe@Yahooooooooo.com> wrote in message
news:pB%Mb.166$M26.80@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Hi, I am in the process of setting up a wireless network within the home

and
> just wondered on what Wireless kits are fast, reliable and also value for
> money.
>
> I'll be connecting up 2x Dell Latitude Laptops and am currently subscribed
> to NTL Broadband.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> JJ
>
>




DeMoN LaG 01-14-2004 12:50 AM

Re: Wireless set-up advise required....
 
"Bill Nathan" <ihatespam@spamersarestupid.com> wrote in
news:mO%Mb.48816$xy6.118199@attbi_s02:

> Buy wireless router and a PCMIA network card for the laptops. Then run
> the software.


Nice and vague. I think the OP wanted brands to buy.

I've never had a problem with my Linksys WAP11 Wireless Access Point. It's
made to be plugged into an existing network though. If you don't have a
network yet, get a linksys wireless router

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
website: under construction
Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
email/IM for rates/services

John \O\ 01-14-2004 02:00 AM

Re: Wireless set-up advise required....
 

"DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
news:Xns946FC9A639D2EWobbly@216.168.3.30...
> "Bill Nathan" <ihatespam@spamersarestupid.com> wrote in
> news:mO%Mb.48816$xy6.118199@attbi_s02:
>
> > Buy wireless router and a PCMIA network card for the laptops. Then run
> > the software.

>
> Nice and vague. I think the OP wanted brands to buy.
>
> I've never had a problem with my Linksys WAP11 Wireless Access Point.

It's
> made to be plugged into an existing network though. If you don't have a
> network yet, get a linksys wireless router
>
> --
> AIM: FrznFoodClerk
> email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
> website: under construction
> Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
> email/IM for rates/services


Thanks for your replies to which would like to ask is there mush of a
difference (speed, frequencies) regarding the types of PCMCIA cards I should
purchase .....I guess I'm trying to ask the difference between IEEE 802.11g
& IEEE 802.11b. Is that much of a difference ??

JJ



DeMoN LaG 01-14-2004 06:43 AM

Re: Wireless set-up advise required....
 
"John \"O\"" <ItsMe@Yahooooooooo.com> wrote in
news:pn1Nb.356$M26.118@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk:

> Thanks for your replies to which would like to ask is there mush of a
> difference (speed, frequencies) regarding the types of PCMCIA cards I
> should purchase .....I guess I'm trying to ask the difference between
> IEEE 802.11g & IEEE 802.11b. Is that much of a difference ??
>


I believe 802.11g is like 54Mbps or something, 802.11b is only 11Mbps. You
won't notice a difference listening to MP3s from a remote machine or
surfing the net, but if you transfer large files (like videos), you will be
hurting with only 802.11b

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
website: under construction
Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
email/IM for rates/services

Night_Seer 01-14-2004 04:10 PM

Re: Wireless set-up advise required....
 
DeMoN LaG wrote:
> "John \"O\"" <ItsMe@Yahooooooooo.com> wrote in
> news:pn1Nb.356$M26.118@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk:
>
>> Thanks for your replies to which would like to ask is there mush of a
>> difference (speed, frequencies) regarding the types of PCMCIA cards I
>> should purchase .....I guess I'm trying to ask the difference between
>> IEEE 802.11g & IEEE 802.11b. Is that much of a difference ??
>>

>
> I believe 802.11g is like 54Mbps or something, 802.11b is only
> 11Mbps. You won't notice a difference listening to MP3s from a
> remote machine or surfing the net, but if you transfer large files
> (like videos), you will be hurting with only 802.11b


Be advised that this relates to transfering files between two computers
in your home, because getting stuff from the internet will never exceed
at most 3Mbps, and more than likely is in the 768Kbps to 1.5 Mbps range.

--
Night_Seer



DeMoN LaG 01-14-2004 09:35 PM

Re: Wireless set-up advise required....
 
"Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in news:j8ednZb-
Xq8D9JjdRVn-ig@speakeasy.net:

> Be advised that this relates to transfering files between two computers
> in your home, because getting stuff from the internet will never exceed
> at most 3Mbps, and more than likely is in the 768Kbps to 1.5 Mbps range.
>


Yes, as I said, for web surfing you won't notice a difference. But I don't
know how many times I've wanted to transfer a TV capture to my laptop for
showing at school and it's a 650MB file, and I just get fed up with doing
it wirelessly and I plug it into the network with a cable just so it gets
done like 5 times faster.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
website: under construction
Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
email/IM for rates/services

Andrew Watiker 01-16-2004 01:54 AM

Re: Wireless set-up advise required....
 
I personnaly use B. I am about the only person whose ISP is fast enough for
the wireless speed to make a difference (we get 6Mbps!!!). However unless
you try to share files directly between two machine on your network
frequently, G doesn't seem like a needed investment. File sharing while not
snappy is fine for data/pictures/MP3's on B. But check your phones first.
2.4 Ghz. phones = Trouble with B or G.
"DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
news:Xns9470A8947386CWobbly@216.168.3.30...
> "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in news:j8ednZb-
> Xq8D9JjdRVn-ig@speakeasy.net:
>
> > Be advised that this relates to transfering files between two computers
> > in your home, because getting stuff from the internet will never exceed
> > at most 3Mbps, and more than likely is in the 768Kbps to 1.5 Mbps range.
> >

>
> Yes, as I said, for web surfing you won't notice a difference. But I

don't
> know how many times I've wanted to transfer a TV capture to my laptop for
> showing at school and it's a 650MB file, and I just get fed up with doing
> it wirelessly and I plug it into the network with a cable just so it gets
> done like 5 times faster.
>
> --
> AIM: FrznFoodClerk
> email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
> website: under construction
> Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
> email/IM for rates/services




Duane Arnold 01-16-2004 09:56 AM

Re: Wireless set-up advise required....
 
"John \"O\"" <ItsMe@Yahooooooooo.com> wrote in
news:pB%Mb.166$M26.80@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk:

> Hi, I am in the process of setting up a wireless network within the
> home and just wondered on what Wireless kits are fast, reliable and
> also value for money.
>
> I'll be connecting up 2x Dell Latitude Laptops and am currently
> subscribed to NTL Broadband.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> JJ
>
>


My advise here is don't go to a complete wireless setup. You should have
one machine that is wired. The wireless network does present some
challenges at times on the connectivity.

The second thing you should consider is that wireless technology is
constantly changing with the security aspects of protecting the air
waves, from WEP to WAP. What's going to be next, as it will be changing
again? You can bet on it.

With all the wireless logic firmware wise being used, it leaves little
room for the protection of network which the wireless router should
provide, because after all the router will be connected to a Broadband
cable modem and attacks will come from that side as well, if you choose
to go in that direction.

Maybe, you should look into getting a wired router that has some more
bells on the security of the network in general and get a stand alone
wireless AP to plug into the wired router.

That way, as the technology of wireless changes, you will have a solid
security situation for the network in general, but you will be able to
move on the wireless side with using an AP and moving to better models if
need be.

Duane :)


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.