Velocity Reviews

-   -   Networking Problem (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t309375-networking-problem.html)

spy 01-13-2004 02:07 AM

Networking Problem

I have a laptop (XP Home) and a desktop (XP pro) networked through a
D-Link Router. Both computers can access the Internet and ping each
other, but will not appear under My Network Places. The laptop show
up on the laptop and the desktop on the desktop, but not on the other.
We also receive the following error when running the network wizard on
the desktop:

Spoolsv.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry
for the inconvenience.
If you view the data that the error report contains, you may receive
the following error signature information:

App Name App Version Module Name Module Version Offset
Spoolsv.exe 5.1.2600.0 ntdll.dll

TIA

mcp6453 01-13-2004 02:39 AM

Re: Networking Problem

spy wrote:

> I have a laptop (XP Home) and a desktop (XP pro) networked through a
> D-Link Router. Both computers can access the Internet and ping each
> other, but will not appear under My Network Places. The laptop show
> up on the laptop and the desktop on the desktop, but not on the other.
> We also receive the following error when running the network wizard on
> the desktop:
>
> Spoolsv.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry
> for the inconvenience.
> If you view the data that the error report contains, you may receive
> the following error signature information:
>
> App Name App Version Module Name Module Version Offset
> Spoolsv.exe 5.1.2600.0 ntdll.dll
>
> TIA

Could be a bad printer driver:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q322736

Duane Arnold 01-13-2004 02:55 AM

Re: Networking Problem

daults(spy)@comcsat.net wrote in news:cck600hn2fhc5mhpk41s2j4qbuf31k2nbc@
4ax.com:

> I have a laptop (XP Home) and a desktop (XP pro) networked through a
> D-Link Router. Both computers can access the Internet and ping each
> other, but will not appear under My Network Places. The laptop show
> up on the laptop and the desktop on the desktop, but not on the other.
> We also receive the following error when running the network wizard on
> the desktop:
>
> Spoolsv.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry
> for the inconvenience.
> If you view the data that the error report contains, you may receive
> the following error signature information:
>
> App Name App Version Module Name Module Version Offset
> Spoolsv.exe 5.1.2600.0 ntdll.dll
>
> TIA

The Network Wizard is to be used to make a diskette that is to be
installed on non NT based O/S(s) such as Win 9'x or ME so that a XP
machine can network with it.

For NT based O/S(s) like XP Home/Pro, Win2K Pro/Server and Win NT 4.0
Workstation/Server, the XP Wizard is not needed.

If the Bridge Icon is there with the NIC Icon in the Local Area
Connections screen, then delete it.

Use the Start Button and right-click on the My Computer
Line/Properties/Computer Name/Network ID

Your machines are not a business and they are not on a Domain and put the
machines into the same Workgroup and can change the name to *daults* if
you like.

Check the NIC's Properties and make sure the NIC(s) on the machine are
using the same Services such as MS File and Print and MS Networking, the
other protocols being the same on both machines.

*Harden* the XP O/S to attacks.

http://www.uksecurityonline.com/husdg/windowsxp.php

Duane :)

Bill Nathan 01-14-2004 12:16 AM

Re: Networking Problem

You have to be under the same workgroup. Change it through the network setup
wizard.
news:Xns946ED4E0D2F41darnold92insightbbco@63.240.7 6.16...

Duane Arnold 01-14-2004 04:22 AM

Re: Networking Problem

"Bill Nathan" <ihatespam@spamersarestupid.com> wrote in

> You have to be under the same workgroup. Change it through the network
> setup wizard.

You can do it just like on Win2k and NT 4.0 by going to MY Computer Icon or
line on XP and right-clicking and going to Network ID. I have found the
Wizard to be bad news in most cases. <g>

Duane :)

mike 01-16-2004 03:09 PM

Re: Networking Problem

ensure work group name is the same under identification enable file and
print sharing .... and very important disable any software fire wall you may
be running on your computers you can enable them afterwards if this is the
problem oh and did I say don't use the xp wizard hmmm no I didn't but looks
like you did already there are a myriad of sites that talk you through
simple network setups Practicallynetworked is a good one
Hope it helps http://www.practicallynetworked.com/