Velocity Reviews

-   -   do CD-R's harm a car's Cd player? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t309360-do-cd-rs-harm-a-cars-cd-player.html)

Cory Lechner 01-11-2004 11:48 PM

do CD-R's harm a car's Cd player?

My friend tells me that his 2001 Honda Accord's CD player has stopped
working. He accounts it to the burned CD's that he unknowingly played in
his player. Is this common? Do we have anything to worry about in our 2002
Honda Civic?

Cory

DeMoN LaG 01-12-2004 12:43 AM

Re: do CD-R's harm a car's Cd player?

"Cory Lechner" <cory.lechner@sasktel.net> wrote in

> My friend tells me that his 2001 Honda Accord's CD player has stopped
> working. He accounts it to the burned CD's that he unknowingly played
> in his player. Is this common? Do we have anything to worry about in
> our 2002 Honda Civic?

No. CDRs are very similar to pressed CDs. The worst that would happen is
the CD player wouldn't be able to read the discs. I can't fathom how a CDR
could physically damage a CD player in any way, shape, or form, unless it
was defective or unbalanced and exploded inside of it.

NightSky 421 01-12-2004 01:36 AM

"Cory Lechner" <cory.lechner@sasktel.net> wrote in message
> My friend tells me that his 2001 Honda Accord's CD player has stopped
> working. He accounts it to the burned CD's that he unknowingly played in
> his player. Is this common? Do we have anything to worry about in our

2002
> Honda Civic?
>
> Cory

The only thing I know which can damage a regular CD player is if you put a
CD-R with data on it (i.e. not CD audio) and try to play it.

Brad 01-12-2004 04:20 AM

"Cory Lechner" <cory.lechner@sasktel.net> wrote in message news:<1003o9tssbn70bd@corp.supernews.com>...
> My friend tells me that his 2001 Honda Accord's CD player has stopped
> working. He accounts it to the burned CD's that he unknowingly played in
> his player. Is this common? Do we have anything to worry about in our 2002
> Honda Civic?
>
> Cory

it seems unlikely since its a non contact way of reading from the cd,
a laser light is bounced off the surface and a detector senses the
light. I guess the only work is the servo trying to lock, but that
shouldnt wear out the drive.

Thor 01-12-2004 05:40 AM

Re: do CD-R's harm a car's Cd player?

No, they aren't harmful. If playing CD-R discs somehow harmed the player,
then the player was junk to begin with. Sounds to me like he just got a bum
player.

Dave C. 01-17-2004 08:54 PM

Re: do CD-R's harm a car's Cd player?

I have put labels on discs I burned and some of them will lift and wrinkle
is places which could jam in the car cd player. I do not use labels on the
cds any more.
--
Dave C.
cardarelliCUT@OUTc4.net