Velocity Reviews

-   -   What watt power supply for this... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t309142-what-watt-power-supply-for-this.html)

Matthew Superstar Swass 12-28-2003 07:31 AM

What watt power supply for this...

Is a 250 watt power supply enough for a system including a P4 2.4ghz and
GeForce FX 5600?

This is what it was sent out with from HP, so maybe that is sufficient. The
only reason I'm questioning this is because my old P3 500mhz has a 230w supply.

I did read on a site though that "... the amount of Watt does not really matter
in the current computer market."

=The Anti-n00b= 12-28-2003 01:44 PM

Re: What watt power supply for this...

Ehh ... That power supply probably won't last very long. I wouldn't go
less than 400W.

Thor 12-28-2003 01:56 PM

Re: What watt power supply for this...

I'd recommend a 300 at minimum. HP has a history of putting crappy power
supplies in their systems. I've replaced many.

George 12-28-2003 03:31 PM

Re: What watt power supply for this...

Sounds a bit lean...but you also should be aware that some companies (like
HP) are quite honest in the rating of their power supplies. Many other
companies, especially those selling replacement power supplies, are, err ah,
"optimistic" at best. What I'm saying is that you might run out and replace
that power supply with a "400 Watt" no-name supply and find that the HP
actually put out more power, was UL listed, had the CE mark, etc., etc. If
you do get a beefier power supply, get one from a company with a good
reputation. The best I've found is "PC Power & Cooling" but they are
expensive. Also pretty good are Antec and Sparkle. If you go with a
"no-name" supply, make sure it is UL listed and "de-rate" their usually
optimistic power rating, i.e., if you want a 400W supply and decide to get a
no-name, make sure the no-name is rated 500+W.

If you're at all curious what makes some power supplies cost more than
others, here are some factors:
1) cleanliness of circuit board...cleaning costs money at time of sale, not
cleaning reduces the products life due to high impedance shorts
2) rating of components, i.e., using capacitors rated for the voltage
they'll see
3) submitting product to meet various regulations (UL, CE, FCC, etc.)...as a
safety minimum, look for UL listing
4) QC and testing (I've had some power supplies that had solder balls and
even an extra capacitor rattling around inside of them...before you buy,
shake supply, if it rattles, don't buy)
5) country of manufacture...but they are mostly made in China anyway and no
one is looking for German made ones

chuckieŽ 12-28-2003 08:16 PM

Re: What watt power supply for this...

I'll echo (sort of) what 'Thor' said, HP is notorious for under powering their machines. That is,
the power supply will handle whatever the factory put in the machine, however, if you add anything
in the future, you have instant (in most cases) power problems. The usual advice in the HP NG's is
to purchase a decent aftermarket case (with good power supply) and move the guts of the HP into
it...luck...