Velocity Reviews

-   -   Credit Card Use on Web CAUTION (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t309060-credit-card-use-on-web-caution.html)

Brad Petria 12-22-2003 12:55 PM

Credit Card Use on Web CAUTION

Hi,

An article In Sunday's newspaper about another security bug
found in Internet Explorer: "that allows scammers to make phony sites
look even more authentic than usual. Instead of betraying their origin
by showing the wrong address under IE's toolbar, phony sites can
appear to have the same address as the real thing."

Brad

Tip for your old computer (reduce discard pollution too):

If you can't sell your old computer, don't throw it away. Use it to backup
your software by transferring files/folders from your new computer or laptop
to it. I transferred my Windows folder and other stuff to my old computer
using "PC Link", which I downloaded from www.simtel.net (cool site).

http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/52792.html (info or download)

Jerry G. 12-22-2003 02:35 PM

Re: Credit Card Use on Web CAUTION

You are right about this one. If someone takes out a domain name and puts a
simple re-direct on to it, the re-direct will make Explorer's address bar
have the new domain name in it, rather than the re-directed name in it. This
is a very big trick that the dishonest Spammers are doing.

--

Some Safety Rules To Follow:
NEVER buy anything from any unsolicited emails (Spam mail). NEVER simply

ALWAYS manually type the name of the site in the tool bar to go to the site
to make the purchase. This way you will be sure that you are there, and not
through a re-direct. Only use a link if you know for sure that it will be
safe. Some legitimate sites are on a re-directed page. They will have their
contact information, and you will be able to speak to someone on the phone
about this. If you cannot verify the operation of their site, DO NOT conduct
business with them.

If you are on a legitimate site with a link on it to make a purchase, this
should be safe. Honest site operators will always have a page where there
will be a phone number and address listed, to where they can be contacted.
If you are on a site that there is no contact information listed, DO NOT
give them any information.

You can also call the manufacture of the product that you are interested in.
You can enquire to see if the company selling the product is registered with
them, or the vendor is authorized to sell it. The vendor may be selling the
product through another authorized distributor. This can all be checked out.
If you cannot get in touch with the manufacture, then there will most likely
be a problem for parts and service after you own the product. In this case,
the product should not be purchased, if it is expensive.

When using any type of credit card, or giving out sensitive information,
ALWAYS check to see if the padlock is being displayed in the information
section of the lower toolbar in Explorer. If there is no padlock displayed
DO NOT give out any sensitive information over the system. Some unscrupulous
operators actually put a small icon of a padlock on their site, to fool non
experienced users. If the padlock does not appear in the information bar
part of the frame of Explorer itself, then it is not legitimate.

If you are on a legitimate site, there should be a phone number and name
published on the site. You should be able to call them up on the phone, and
speak to a representative. Always take down their full name. You should also
be able to verify the place of business through a phone book, or business
publication of some type. If you do not want to put your credit card number
through the system, but want to use it, you can always do your business over
the phone. Legitimate companies will usually be set up to take phone orders.
Remember that the person answering the phone will then have your credit card
information. Take down their full name.

There are also ways to verify a company through local government agencies in
their country of location. This involves more work. If you really don't
trust them with a credit card, you can always ask them for their mailing
address, and take the gamble of sending an international bank draft to them.
This way, they will not have your credit card number to use at their own
will.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

Matt Ferrari 12-22-2003 04:30 PM

"Jerry G." <jerryg50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You are right about this one. If someone takes out a domain name and puts

> simple re-direct on to it, the re-direct will make Explorer's address bar
> have the new domain name in it, rather than the re-directed name in it.

This
> is a very big trick that the dishonest Spammers are doing.

Just an FYI, Brad is a spammer. He posts arbitrary advice usually
1 or 2 lines like "look both ways before crossing the street",
or questions he already knows the answer to, like which way does
a cd rom go in the computer? upside down or right side up?
and then plonks on 15 lines of his spam message at the bottom.
The message at the bottom is actually his only reason for posting.

DeMoN LaG 12-22-2003 06:45 PM

Re: Credit Card Use on Web CAUTION

"Jerry G." <jerryg50@hotmail.com> wrote in

> You are right about this one. If someone takes out a domain name and
> puts a simple re-direct on to it, the re-direct will make Explorer's
> address bar have the new domain name in it, rather than the
> re-directed name in it. This is a very big trick that the dishonest
> Spammers are doing.

An easy way to avoid this is simply don't accept ludicrous security holes
like this and not use IE.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

Calvin Crumrine 12-22-2003 07:13 PM

Re: Credit Card Use on Web CAUTION

This really doesn't have a lot to do with the OP's warning though. His
warning was about sites that *appear* to be legitimate, e.g.
www.citibank.com when they're actually something else. Since a spammer,
honest or dishonest, would have a tough time taking out the domain name
citibank.com they'd couldn't use the trick the OP was warning about.

I like your tips though.