Velocity Reviews

-   -   PII, 400 chip be upgraded?? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t308941-pii-400-chip-be-upgraded.html)

BabyJane Hudson 12-13-2003 03:33 AM

PII, 400 chip be upgraded??

I have a Gateway G6-400 and I was wondering if the processor chip can
be upgraded and if so, to what? Since I am fairly new to this, I hope
this could be done in a simple way, say by lifting the PIIm, 400 chip
off the processor and replacing with something faster. Possible?

Here are so specs. I hope this helps:

400 megahertz Intel Pentium II
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Board: Intel Corporation WS440BX AA719570-206
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Intel Corp. 4W4SB0X0.15A.0006.P04 10/09/98
384 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'J6J1' has 128 MB
Slot 'J6J2' has 128 MB
Slot 'J7J1' has 128 MB

Thanks,
Jane Hudson

DeMoN LaG 12-13-2003 08:29 AM

Re: PII, 400 chip be upgraded??

BabyJane Hudson <Missbabyjanehudson@hotmail.com> wrote in

> I have a Gateway G6-400 and I was wondering if the processor chip can
> be upgraded and if so, to what? Since I am fairly new to this, I hope
> this could be done in a simple way, say by lifting the PIIm, 400 chip
> off the processor and replacing with something faster. Possible?

The CPU is mounted on a cartridge in a slot, and designed for easy
replacement. You could go up to any of the 100 mhz FSB Pentium 3's that
are slot 1 or can be converted to slot 1 style. However, whether or not
you'll notice a difference between a P2 400 and a P3 550 is hard to say.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

HF 12-13-2003 01:04 PM

Re: PII, 400 chip be upgraded??

Wizard 12-13-2003 02:13 PM

Re: PII, 400 chip be upgraded??

The highest you could go is a PII-450. You would still have an obsolete
boat anchor on your hands. My advice is bite the bullet and scrap it.

The Ancient One 12-13-2003 04:31 PM

Re: PII, 400 chip be upgraded??

"BabyJane Hudson" <Missbabyjanehudson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a Gateway G6-400 and I was wondering if the processor chip can
> be upgraded and if so, to what? Since I am fairly new to this, I hope
> this could be done in a simple way, say by lifting the PIIm, 400 chip
> off the processor and replacing with something faster. Possible?
>
> Here are so specs. I hope this helps:
>
> 400 megahertz Intel Pentium II
> 32 kilobyte primary memory cache
> 512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
> Board: Intel Corporation WS440BX AA719570-206
> Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
> BIOS: Intel Corp. 4W4SB0X0.15A.0006.P04 10/09/98
> 384 Megabytes Installed Memory
>
> Slot 'J6J1' has 128 MB
> Slot 'J6J2' has 128 MB
> Slot 'J7J1' has 128 MB
>
> Thanks,
> Jane Hudson

A 450 is the fastest that board will handle.

DeMoN LaG 12-13-2003 05:19 PM

Re: PII, 400 chip be upgraded??

Wizard <no@stinking.ads.com> wrote in

> The highest you could go is a PII-450. You would still have an obsolete
> boat anchor on your hands. My advice is bite the bullet and scrap it.

Unless Gateway did some major modifications of that thing, since it has a
BX chipset shouldn't it support a PIII-450 as well?

I don't own a proprietary P2 era motherboard, but both of my Asus P2Bs with
440BX chipsets take P3s.

Douglas A. Shrader 12-13-2003 05:48 PM

Re: PII, 400 chip be upgraded??

"DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
> Wizard <no@stinking.ads.com> wrote in
>
> > The highest you could go is a PII-450. You would still have an obsolete
> > boat anchor on your hands. My advice is bite the bullet and scrap it.
> >

> Unless Gateway did some major modifications of that thing, since it has a
> BX chipset shouldn't it support a PIII-450 as well?

When I researched upgrading my G6-450 on Gateways website it stated that it
could only be upgraded to a PIII 450, so I would assume the 400 could be
upgraded to a maximum PIII 450 as well.

BabyJane Hudson 12-13-2003 06:23 PM

Re: PII, 400 chip be upgraded??

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 11:31:37 -0500, "The Ancient One"
<onlytheone@thetopknows.com> wrote:

>"BabyJane Hudson" <Missbabyjanehudson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:or1ltvoap27q66g1r5h3i4qqg2pcn0j988@4ax.com.. .
>> I have a Gateway G6-400 and I was wondering if the processor chip can
>> be upgraded and if so, to what? Since I am fairly new to this, I hope
>> this could be done in a simple way, say by lifting the PIIm, 400 chip
>> off the processor and replacing with something faster. Possible?
>>
>> Here are so specs. I hope this helps:
>>
>> 400 megahertz Intel Pentium II
>> 32 kilobyte primary memory cache
>> 512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
>> Board: Intel Corporation WS440BX AA719570-206
>> Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
>> BIOS: Intel Corp. 4W4SB0X0.15A.0006.P04 10/09/98
>> 384 Megabytes Installed Memory
>>
>> Slot 'J6J1' has 128 MB
>> Slot 'J6J2' has 128 MB
>> Slot 'J7J1' has 128 MB
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jane Hudson

>A 450 is the fastest that board will handle.

Thanks to all who responded. Since my computer does pretty much what I
want it to do, I will save up my money and buy a new computer next
year, maybe a Dell, even though this is the third Gateway I've had. I
like their computers, but I HATE the way they try and rip their
customers off with the add-ons, such as ram and stuff like that.

Thanks again,
BabyJane Hudson

DeMoN LaG 12-13-2003 06:48 PM

Re: PII, 400 chip be upgraded??

> rip their
> customers off with the add-ons, such as ram

RAM is not an add on, it's a required component.

Thor 12-13-2003 07:44 PM

Re: PII, 400 chip be upgraded??

"DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
> Wizard <no@stinking.ads.com> wrote in
>
> > The highest you could go is a PII-450. You would still have an obsolete
> > boat anchor on your hands. My advice is bite the bullet and scrap it.
> >

> Unless Gateway did some major modifications of that thing, since it has a
> BX chipset shouldn't it support a PIII-450 as well?
>
> I don't own a proprietary P2 era motherboard, but both of my Asus P2Bs

with
> 440BX chipsets take P3s.

A slot-1 board with BX chipset can support up to 1.1Ghz PIII S-370 CPUs with
slotket convertors, etc. As long as the CPU uses a 100Mhz FSB, and the BIOS
can properly recognize the chip. BIOS updates may be in order, but many BX
boards can go that fast.