Velocity Reviews

-   -   Scrolling Problem (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t308917-scrolling-problem.html)

Fred Miller 12-11-2003 05:06 PM

Scrolling Problem

Running XP Pro on my Dell Laptop with 1.6 MHZ mobile processor and a docking
station with an MS wireless blue mouse thru a USB connection.

Until yesterday when I put the cursor on the scroll bar and clicked the left
button once it would jump down one page. Now for some reason when I left
click it scrolls down about 1 and a half pages. Went to mouse properties in
the control panel and found that the wheel mouse is set to scroll one page
but there is nothing about left clicks. This is a minor annoyance but any
help would be appreciated.

Night_Seer 12-11-2003 05:36 PM

Re: Scrolling Problem

Fred Miller wrote:
> Running XP Pro on my Dell Laptop with 1.6 MHZ mobile processor and a
> docking station with an MS wireless blue mouse thru a USB connection.
>
> Until yesterday when I put the cursor on the scroll bar and clicked
> the left button once it would jump down one page. Now for some
> reason when I left click it scrolls down about 1 and a half pages.
> Went to mouse properties in the control panel and found that the
> wheel mouse is set to scroll one page but there is nothing about left
> clicks. This is a minor annoyance but any help would be appreciated.

I read about this....its a new "fix" by Microsoft that broke mouse
scrolling. Basically when you click close to the scroll marker, it
moves a page, if you click farther away, it scrolls 2 pages. It was
included in one of the latest XP updates, without your knowledge.
There's really nothing to be done about it. I suggest either using the
page up page down, or the spacebar in a browser works just as well.
Sorry.

--
Night_Seer

Night_Seer 12-11-2003 07:27 PM

Re: Scrolling Problem

Night_Seer wrote:
> Fred Miller wrote:
>> Running XP Pro on my Dell Laptop with 1.6 MHZ mobile processor and a
>> docking station with an MS wireless blue mouse thru a USB connection.
>>
>> Until yesterday when I put the cursor on the scroll bar and clicked
>> the left button once it would jump down one page. Now for some
>> reason when I left click it scrolls down about 1 and a half pages.
>> Went to mouse properties in the control panel and found that the
>> wheel mouse is set to scroll one page but there is nothing about left
>> clicks. This is a minor annoyance but any help would be
>> appreciated.

> I read about this....its a new "fix" by Microsoft that broke mouse
> scrolling. Basically when you click close to the scroll marker, it
> moves a page, if you click farther away, it scrolls 2 pages. It was
> included in one of the latest XP updates, without your knowledge.
> There's really nothing to be done about it. I suggest either using
> the page up page down, or the spacebar in a browser works just as
> well. Sorry.

What I mean is it broke single page mouse scrolling as you can't
leave your cursor at the bottom anymore and scroll a page at a time just
by clicking, you have to move the cursor everytime to just below the
marker...other than that the scrolling still works.

--
Night_Seer

Thor 12-11-2003 08:04 PM

Re: Scrolling Problem

> What I mean is it broke single page mouse scrolling as you can't
> leave your cursor at the bottom anymore and scroll a page at a time just
> by clicking, you have to move the cursor everytime to just below the
> marker...other than that the scrolling still works.

Bah! Thats what the scrollwheel was invented for. :-)

Night_Seer 12-11-2003 09:37 PM

Re: Scrolling Problem

Thor wrote:
>> What I mean is it broke single page mouse scrolling as you can't
>> leave your cursor at the bottom anymore and scroll a page at a time
>> just by clicking, you have to move the cursor everytime to just
>> below the marker...other than that the scrolling still works.

> Bah! Thats what the scrollwheel was invented for. :-)

Heh...yeah, I don't have this problem...I always use the sroll
whee...heck set it to scroll a page at a time :). Anyways, I heard some
people complain for that specific reason, and I can see where they are
coming from. But there are numerous ways around it.

--
Night_Seer