Velocity Reviews

-   -   Need to start smartdrive-how? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t308779-need-to-start-smartdrive-how.html)

todd 11-30-2003 09:04 PM

Need to start smartdrive-how?

Hi-

I am trying to install xp on a disk using a win98 bootdisk. I have
started winnt,exe from the i386 file, and started the copying phase of
the install. I am prompted to start smartdrive so that the copying
phase will run better. I have tried to run w/o smartdrive, and the
copying stopd after about a minute. How do I start smartdrive? thanx

Michael-NC 11-30-2003 10:15 PM

Re: Need to start smartdrive-how?

Copy smart drive to the floppy and execute it.

MrToad 11-30-2003 11:55 PM

Re: Need to start smartdrive-how?

todd <pdadas@fef.com> Ran in the back door and shouted

> Hi-
>
> I am trying to install xp on a disk using a win98 bootdisk. I have
> started winnt,exe from the i386 file, and started the copying phase of
> the install. I am prompted to start smartdrive so that the copying
> phase will run better. I have tried to run w/o smartdrive, and the
> copying stopd after about a minute. How do I start smartdrive? thanx

Try copying the i386 folder to your hard drive, then executing the
winnt.exe from there.
Smart drive is for the CDROM, an install from the HDD will speed things
up without the need for the smartdrive program.

Or do as Micheal-NC suggests.

--
MrToad

DeMoN LaG 12-01-2003 01:50 AM

Re: Need to start smartdrive-how?

MrToad <nospam@nospam> wrote in news:Xns9443B605E9B65nospamnospam@
216.168.3.30:

> Smart drive is for the CDROM, an install from the HDD will speed things
> up without the need for the smartdrive program.

Smartdrive is not for CDROMs, it is for all disks.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

MrToad 12-01-2003 04:18 AM

Re: Need to start smartdrive-how?

DeMoN LaG <n@a> Ran in the back door and shouted

> MrToad <nospam@nospam> wrote in news:Xns9443B605E9B65nospamnospam@
> 216.168.3.30:
>
>> Smart drive is for the CDROM, an install from the HDD will speed things
>> up without the need for the smartdrive program.
>>

> Smartdrive is not for CDROMs, it is for all disks.

True, but it's mostly touted as a CDROM "speedup" program :o]
I've had great luck doing a hard drive installs the way I described without
smartdrive, [much faster than a CDROM with smartdrive].

--
MrToad

DeMoN LaG 12-01-2003 05:20 AM

> True, but it's mostly touted as a CDROM "speedup" program :o]
> I've had great luck doing a hard drive installs the way I described
> without smartdrive, [much faster than a CDROM with smartdrive].

Where do you see it touted as a CDROM speedup program??? SmartDrive has
far more benefits for hard drives than CDs. Take a 9x machine that you
want to remove the windows directory and reinstall. Try doing
deltree c:\windows without smart drive running. Wait 45 minutes to an
hour. Reinstall windows, do it again with smartdrive loaded, notice the
entire operation takes like a minute and a half.

Thor 12-01-2003 12:54 PM

"MrToad" <nospam@nospam> wrote in message
> DeMoN LaG <n@a> Ran in the back door and shouted
>
> > MrToad <nospam@nospam> wrote in news:Xns9443B605E9B65nospamnospam@
> > 216.168.3.30:
> >
> >> Smart drive is for the CDROM, an install from the HDD will speed things
> >> up without the need for the smartdrive program.
> >>

> > Smartdrive is not for CDROMs, it is for all disks.
> >

> True, but it's mostly touted as a CDROM "speedup" program :o]
> I've had great luck doing a hard drive installs the way I described

without
> smartdrive, [much faster than a CDROM with smartdrive].

smartdrive isn't touted as a CDROM speedup program. It is a disk caching
program that has been around since the DOS days, doing duty as a harddrive
disk caching program before CD drives were even all that common, and IIRC,
the first versions didn't even cache CDROM drives.

MrToad 12-01-2003 02:35 PM

> MrToad <nospam@nospam> wrote in
>
>> True, but it's mostly touted as a CDROM "speedup" program :o]
>> I've had great luck doing a hard drive installs the way I described
>> without smartdrive, [much faster than a CDROM with smartdrive].

> Where do you see it touted as a CDROM speedup program??? SmartDrive
> has far more benefits for hard drives than CDs. Take a 9x machine
> that you want to remove the windows directory and reinstall. Try
> doing deltree c:\windows without smart drive running. Wait 45 minutes
> to an hour. Reinstall windows, do it again with smartdrive loaded,
> notice the entire operation takes like a minute and a half.

Everytime I'd seen it mentioned, they are talking about cdroms, ie; when
you're loading Win9x for example. I'm not disputing your info, I was
just giving the OP a alternative to loading smartdrive, chill out...

--
MrToad

MrToad 12-01-2003 02:36 PM

Re: Need to start smartdrive-how?

"Thor" <man@arms.com> Ran in the back door and shouted

> "MrToad" <nospam@nospam> wrote in message
>> DeMoN LaG <n@a> Ran in the back door and shouted
>>
>> > MrToad <nospam@nospam> wrote in news:Xns9443B605E9B65nospamnospam@
>> > 216.168.3.30:

>> > Smartdrive is not for CDROMs, it is for all disks.
>> >

>> True, but it's mostly touted as a CDROM "speedup" program :o]
>> I've had great luck doing a hard drive installs the way I described

> without
>> smartdrive, [much faster than a CDROM with smartdrive].

> smartdrive isn't touted as a CDROM speedup program. It is a disk
> caching program that has been around since the DOS days, doing duty as
> a harddrive disk caching program before CD drives were even all that
> common, and IIRC, the first versions didn't even cache CDROM drives.

See my answer to DL.

--
MrToad

DeMoN LaG 12-02-2003 04:02 AM

Re: Need to start smartdrive-how?

MrToad <nospam@nospam> wrote in news:Xns9444573392230nospamnospam@
216.168.3.30:

> Everytime I'd seen it mentioned, they are talking about cdroms, ie; when
> you're loading Win9x for example. I'm not disputing your info, I was
> just giving the OP a alternative to loading smartdrive, chill out...

Copying the entire contents to a HD and running setup will still be slower
than running setup with smart drive loaded. Smartdrive easily gives a few
hundred percent performance boost in real mode doing anything that involves
lots of disk IO