Velocity Reviews

-   -   e-machines. Any good? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t308778-e-machines-any-good.html)

ArtKramr 11-30-2003 09:02 PM

e-machines. Any good?

Are they?

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Richard Garneau 11-30-2003 09:58 PM

Re: e-machines. Any good?

"ArtKramr" <artkramr@aol.com> wrote in message
news:20031130173100.16299.00000933@mb-m23.aol.com...
> >Subject: Re: e-machines. Any good?
> >From: "Michael-NC" NoAddress@desolate.com
> >Date: 11/30/03 2:12 PM Pacific Standard Time
> >
> >They are, if the machine fits your needs. Service has been rated good as
> >well.
> >

> >"ArtKramr" <artkramr@aol.com> wrote in message
> >> Are they?
> >>

> >> Arthur Kramer
> >> 344th BG 494th BS
> >> England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
> >> Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
> >> http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer
> >>

> I now have a Dell 400 with an 8 meg hardd rive. For under $400 I can get

an
> e-machine 2.5 ghz with a 40 gig hard drive. Hard to beat.
>
> Regards,
>

> Arthur Kramer
> 344th BG 494th BS
> England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
> Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
> http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

I have just received mine 5 days ago and so far I'm very please. Its a w2260
1.8 gig Athlon, refurbished lots of computer for $500.00 canadian !

Michael-NC 11-30-2003 10:12 PM

Re: e-machines. Any good?

ArtKramr 11-30-2003 10:31 PM

Re: e-machines. Any good?

Wizard 12-01-2003 11:56 AM

Re: e-machines. Any good?

Good .. Fast ... Cheap ... you can only have 2. Even today a good,
solid, reliable and state of the art system costs between $1500 & $2000
depending on whether or not you build it yourself. So you figure it out.

Night_Seer 12-01-2003 07:08 PM

Re: e-machines. Any good?

ArtKramr wrote:
> Are they?
>

> Arthur Kramer
> 344th BG 494th BS
> England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
> Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
> http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

They are fine, just don't expect it to do miracles. You will most
likely be gettin on board video, which means no high end games (stuff
like sim-city 200 or solitaire will be fine), as well as the video using
shared memory (so that 128 or 256 megs of ram will now become 117 or 245
megs of ram). You will be getting a slower than usual hard drive, most
likely onboard sound as well, which has been getting better, but on that
computer will not be great. The memory will be the slowest and cheapest
available for the board. The motherboard itself will probably be
limited in upgradeability, and might be missing fire-wire or usb 2.0 (if
it has either, its a plus). Other than that, it should do web surfing,
word processing, printing (all the "important" stuff for a regular user)
just fine and dandy. If you want to upgrade in a couple years, be
prepared to buy a new one.

ArtKramr 12-01-2003 07:51 PM

Re: e-machines. Any good?

>ubject: Re: e-machines. Any good?
>From: "Night_Seer" ecamacho4at hotmail dot com
>Date: 12/1/03 11:08 AM Pacific Standard Time
>
>ArtKramr wrote:
>> Are they?
>>

>> Arthur Kramer
>> 344th BG 494th BS
>> England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
>> Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
>> http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

> They are fine, just don't expect it to do miracles. You will most
>likely be gettin on board video, which means no high end games (stuff
>like sim-city 200 or solitaire will be fine), as well as the video using
>shared memory (so that 128 or 256 megs of ram will now become 117 or 245
>megs of ram). You will be getting a slower than usual hard drive, most
>likely onboard sound as well, which has been getting better, but on that
>computer will not be great. The memory will be the slowest and cheapest
>available for the board. The motherboard itself will probably be
>limited in upgradeability, and might be missing fire-wire or usb 2.0 (if
>it has either, its a plus). Other than that, it should do web surfing,
>word processing, printing (all the "important" stuff for a regular user)
>just fine and dandy. If you want to upgrade in a couple years, be
>prepared to buy a new one.

Thanks for your reply. As far as upgrading the mother board, I can't do that
with my Dell Dimension V400 either, so it's a wash. (sigh)

chuckieŽ 12-01-2003 09:54 PM

Re: e-machines. Any good?

No...luck...

Night_Seer 12-01-2003 10:08 PM

Re: e-machines. Any good?

ArtKramr wrote:
>> ubject: Re: e-machines. Any good?
>> From: "Night_Seer" ecamacho4at hotmail dot com
>> Date: 12/1/03 11:08 AM Pacific Standard Time
>>
>> ArtKramr wrote:
>>> Are they?
>>>

>>> Arthur Kramer
>>> 344th BG 494th BS
>>> England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
>>> Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
>>> http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

>> They are fine, just don't expect it to do miracles. You will most
>> likely be gettin on board video, which means no high end games (stuff
>> like sim-city 200 or solitaire will be fine), as well as the video
>> using shared memory (so that 128 or 256 megs of ram will now become
>> 117 or 245 megs of ram). You will be getting a slower than usual
>> hard drive, most likely onboard sound as well, which has been
>> getting better, but on that computer will not be great. The memory
>> will be the slowest and cheapest available for the board. The
>> motherboard itself will probably be limited in upgradeability, and
>> might be missing fire-wire or usb 2.0 (if it has either, its a
>> plus). Other than that, it should do web surfing, word processing,
>> printing (all the "important" stuff for a regular user) just fine
>> and dandy. If you want to upgrade in a couple years, be prepared to
>> buy a new one.
>>

> Thanks for your reply. As far as upgrading the mother board, I can't
> do that with my Dell Dimension V400 either, so it's a wash. (sigh)
>
> Regards
>

> Arthur Kramer
> 344th BG 494th BS
> England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
> Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
> http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

What I meant was upgrading as in memory, sound or video. It
probably won't have an AGP slot, it will have very limited numper of PCI
slots, and the two dimm slots for the memory will be filled up with
whatever you decide to get. So no extra ram, no new video card (unless
its PCI, which is getting harder and harder to find), and very limited
in add-on cards (maybe 1 or 2 slots available for you to use).

Michael-NC 12-02-2003 01:46 AM

Re: e-machines. Any good?

> ArtKramr wrote:
> >> ubject: Re: e-machines. Any good?
> >> From: "Night_Seer" ecamacho4at hotmail dot com
> >> Date: 12/1/03 11:08 AM Pacific Standard Time

> >> They are fine, just don't expect it to do miracles. You will most
> >> likely be gettin on board video, which means no high end games (stuff
> >> like sim-city 200 or solitaire will be fine), as well as the video
> >> using shared memory (so that 128 or 256 megs of ram will now become
> >> 117 or 245 megs of ram). You will be getting a slower than usual
> >> hard drive, most likely onboard sound as well, which has been
> >> getting better, but on that computer will not be great. The memory
> >> will be the slowest and cheapest available for the board. The
> >> motherboard itself will probably be limited in upgradeability, and
> >> might be missing fire-wire or usb 2.0 (if it has either, its a
> >> plus). Other than that, it should do web surfing, word processing,
> >> printing (all the "important" stuff for a regular user) just fine
> >> and dandy. If you want to upgrade in a couple years, be prepared to
> >> buy a new one.
> >>

> > Thanks for your reply. As far as upgrading the mother board, I can't
> > do that with my Dell Dimension V400 either, so it's a wash. (sigh)
> >
> > Regards
> >

> > Arthur Kramer
> > 344th BG 494th BS
> > England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
> > Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
> > http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

> What I meant was upgrading as in memory, sound or video. It
> probably won't have an AGP slot, it will have very limited numper of PCI
> slots, and the two dimm slots for the memory will be filled up with
> whatever you decide to get. So no extra ram, no new video card (unless
> its PCI, which is getting harder and harder to find), and very limited
> in add-on cards (maybe 1 or 2 slots available for you to use).

Not all Emachines are so configured.