Velocity Reviews

-   -   Help please (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t308601-help-please.html)

John 11-17-2003 07:41 PM

Help please

I have a little thing going on here I don't like and would like to
shut off but cant find anything that will do it.
What is going on is when I'm not connected to the internet [dialup]
and I open any folder it opens a dial box to connect to the internet
If I just close it the next time I do connect to the internet I.E.
won't work. A box opens and asks me if I want to work off line or
connect
Can anyone help me with this little problem
Thanks

Todd Howard 11-18-2003 01:39 AM

Re: Help please

Could be some sort of spyware.....go to downloads.com and download a program
called Spybot-Search and Destroy....
Also make sure your Antivirus is up to date....
TH

Thor 11-18-2003 02:27 AM

Re: Help please

could even be a pesky 3rd party toolbar that was installed online. Since
folder windows can contain many of the same toolbars as the browser, it
could be a toolbar with spyware attached that is invoking the dialup.

Pepperoni 11-18-2003 02:58 AM

Re: Help please

I'm not sure of your OS. In win98, go to control panel/Internet Properties/
connections tab. Select "never dial a connection", click "APPLY", then "OK"
then reboot. Make a shortcut to your preferred dialup connection for your
program list or desktop for future use. This should stop the prompts.

There is also a problem with Outlook Express if you have preferences set to
check for mail on a timed interval. You may have it set to connect if a
connection is not present. Tools/Options/general; under send/receive
messages, uncheck "check for new messages every [ ] minutes" and/or select
"do not dial a connection" (if a connection is not present)

Since OE shares preferences with IE, you may need to modify both settings.

John 11-18-2003 04:04 AM

Re: Help please

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:27:18 -0500, "Thor" <man@arms.com> wrote:

>could even be a pesky 3rd party toolbar that was installed online. Since
>folder windows can contain many of the same toolbars as the browser, it
>could be a toolbar with spyware attached that is invoking the dialup.

I do have one of those 3 party tool bars I cant get rid of
this is what it says in view/ toolbars youcstqixmb
I have spybot and have ran it 3 times did the 3rd today
498 spywares it is immunized me from
I had a **** load of them
cool program but didnt fix my problem
the only way I know how to fix is to format and start again and I
really dont want to go that route
I have tryed to remove a program in add and remove thinking it is the
tool bar one but it wont remove it locks up and says its not there
so I reboot in safe mode and still wont remove it
would you know how I can remove that tool bar
anyways thanks for you help

..

Thor 11-18-2003 01:38 PM

Re: Help please

try Adaware then. Spybot, and Adaware each often find stuff the the other
one misses.

John 11-18-2003 05:50 PM

Re: Help please

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:58:51 -0500, "Pepperoni"
<wastebasketbot@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I'm not sure of your OS. In win98, go to control panel/Internet Properties/
>connections tab. Select "never dial a connection", click "APPLY", then "OK"
>then reboot. Make a shortcut to your preferred dialup connection for your
>program list or desktop for future use. This should stop the prompts.
>
>There is also a problem with Outlook Express if you have preferences set to
>check for mail on a timed interval. You may have it set to connect if a
>connection is not present. Tools/Options/general; under send/receive
>messages, uncheck "check for new messages every [ ] minutes" and/or select
>"do not dial a connection" (if a connection is not present)
>
>Since OE shares preferences with IE, you may need to modify both settings.

I have xp I download 3 different spy/add ware programs this morning
and they all found more spy and add ware but failed to remove the
the one in in toolbar but did susceed in it not working any more
I did as you said and put never dial a connection in controlpannel/int
properties and its not opening the dial box no more but opening
another box that says the web page is not avable do you want to work
off line or try again.im opening a folder on desk top not web page!
anymore ideas would be apreasheated
thanks to all for reading and helping

Jeremy 11-18-2003 09:00 PM

Re: Help please

trojan remover

John wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:58:51 -0500, "Pepperoni"
> <wastebasketbot@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> I have xp I download 3 different spy/add ware programs this morning
> and they all found more spy and add ware but failed to remove the
> the one in in toolbar but did susceed in it not working any more
> I did as you said and put never dial a connection in controlpannel/int
> properties and its not opening the dial box no more but opening
> another box that says the web page is not avable do you want to work
> off line or try again.im opening a folder on desk top not web page!
> anymore ideas would be apreasheated
> thanks to all for reading and helping

11-20-2003 10:07 PM

Re: Help please

Try this site http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/ . It has helped me out quite
a bit. If it finds anything it can give you instructions on how to remove
it.