Velocity Reviews

-   -   Need your help to understand RAM (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t308569-need-your-help-to-understand-ram.html)

Richard 11-15-2003 10:21 PM

Need your help to understand RAM

I have an IBM aptiva AMD 333 k 6-2 with 160 MB of ram.

My computer is getting slower and slower, despite that I remove almost all
the program clean dfrag etc etc.

I'm not running a lots of program at startup.

Yesterday I've downloaded free ram xp pro to see if that would help a
little, no help , my computer is running most of the time below 50meg of RAM
available.

Any idea ??
Thanks

Mr. Majestik 11-17-2003 04:46 AM

Re: Need your help to understand RAM

Richard <richard@nowhere.ca> wrote in message
news:JGxtb.49679$xI2.1478436@news20.bellglobal.com ...
> I have an IBM aptiva AMD 333 k 6-2 with 160 MB of ram.
>
> My computer is getting slower and slower, despite that I remove almost all
> the program clean dfrag etc etc.

You have mucho bugs. You cannot get rid of all of them with your tactics.
You must wipe (format) your drive and re-install the OS and start again.
This time using AVG, Zone Alarm, Spybot, (all free), and STILL you have to
do this every 2 years....

Sorry, but it's the way of the computer.

Roy@home.net 11-17-2003 04:57 AM

Re: Need your help to understand RAM

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 04:46:21 GMT, "Mr. Majestik" <nohere@amigo.com>
wrote:

>Richard <richard@nowhere.ca> wrote in message
>news:JGxtb.49679$xI2.1478436@news20.bellglobal.co m...
>> I have an IBM aptiva AMD 333 k 6-2 with 160 MB of ram.
>>
>> My computer is getting slower and slower, despite that I remove almost all
>> the program clean dfrag etc etc.
>>

>You have mucho bugs. You cannot get rid of all of them with your tactics.
>You must wipe (format) your drive and re-install the OS and start again.
>This time using AVG, Zone Alarm, Spybot, (all free), and STILL you have to
>do this every 2 years....
>
>Sorry, but it's the way of the computer.

This is a premature conclusion. Start with norton - the subscribed
uptodate version. Then go carefully through the list - spybot, etc.
The techies here can give you a better list.

Roy - Carpe Noctem

Tony 11-17-2003 06:47 PM

"Richard" wrote:
> Yesterday I've downloaded free ram xp pro to see if that would help a
> little, no help , my computer is running most of the time below 50meg of RAM
> available.

RAM XP Pro? Are you trying to run winXP with 50 megs of RAM? That
would definitly explain hte slow speed?

»TOny

Roy@home.net 11-17-2003 07:13 PM

Re: Need your help to understand RAM

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 17:21:02 -0500, "Richard" <richard@nowhere.ca>
wrote:

>I have an IBM aptiva AMD 333 k 6-2 with 160 MB of ram.
>
>My computer is getting slower and slower, despite that I remove almost all
>the program clean dfrag etc etc.
>
>I'm not running a lots of program at startup.
>
>Yesterday I've downloaded free ram xp pro to see if that would help a
>little, no help , my computer is running most of the time below 50meg of RAM
>available.
>
>Any idea ??
>Thanks

I'm not familiar with the Aptiva, but ...

160 mb of ram seems like an odd number (or even possible?). Do you
mean 256?

If you really mean 160, then it seems reasonable that most of it is
used up trying to run the OS.

If you installed FreeRam XP, does this mean you use XP for your OS? If
so, you should probably have at least 256 mb to support it.

By 333, do you mean it runs at 333mhz? If so, I think you have to
accept that a five year old machine is slow. And maybe not up to
running XP.

Do you have an up-to-date virus checker? Have you done a full scan?

You say you did "clean dfrag etc etc". Please describe "etc etc".

Roy - Carpe Noctem

DeMoN LaG 11-17-2003 09:31 PM

Roy@home.net wrote in news:rh6irv05eib8ahrd0ogpjt3tu94vp2e9hh@4ax.com:

> 160 mb of ram seems like an odd number (or even possible?). Do you
> mean 256?

128 + 32
64 + 64 + 32

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

Richard 11-17-2003 10:14 PM

<Roy@home.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 17:21:02 -0500, "Richard" <richard@nowhere.ca>
> wrote:
>
> >I have an IBM aptiva AMD 333 k 6-2 with 160 MB of ram.
> >
> >My computer is getting slower and slower, despite that I remove almost

all
> >the program clean dfrag etc etc.
> >
> >I'm not running a lots of program at startup.
> >
> >Yesterday I've downloaded free ram xp pro to see if that would help a
> >little, no help , my computer is running most of the time below 50meg of

RAM
> >available.
> >
> >Any idea ??
> >Thanks
> >

> I'm not familiar with the Aptiva, but ...
>
> 160 mb of ram seems like an odd number (or even possible?). Do you
> mean 256?
>
> If you really mean 160, then it seems reasonable that most of it is
> used up trying to run the OS.
>
> If you installed FreeRam XP, does this mean you use XP for your OS? If
> so, you should probably have at least 256 mb to support it.
>
> By 333, do you mean it runs at 333mhz? If so, I think you have to
> accept that a five year old machine is slow. And maybe not up to
> running XP.
>
> Do you have an up-to-date virus checker? Have you done a full scan?
>
> You say you did "clean dfrag etc etc". Please describe "etc etc".
>
> Roy - Carpe Noctem

Roy,

The CPU is an AMD 333mhz.
160mb of RAM 1x 128, 1x 32, computer came with 1x 32 and 1x 16, only two
slots,so the 16 diseapear.
Running on Win 98
Antivirus up to date and know to use very little ressources (EZ Antivirus)
from CA.
WD hard drive 60gig
ati rage pro turbo 2 (onboard) 4 meg

To improve the response while playing game what should I do,
Changing the video card ?
Adding more RAM ?

I'm not talking about new and hungry games, just old one that are supposed
to run fine on my Puter

Thanks for your input
Richard

Roy@home.net 11-17-2003 11:51 PM

Re: Need your help to understand RAM

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 17:14:10 -0500, "Richard" <richard@nowhere.ca>
wrote:

><Roy@home.net> wrote in message
>news:rh6irv05eib8ahrd0ogpjt3tu94vp2e9hh@4ax.com.. .
>> On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 17:21:02 -0500, "Richard" <richard@nowhere.ca>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I have an IBM aptiva AMD 333 k 6-2 with 160 MB of ram.
>> >
>> >My computer is getting slower and slower, despite that I remove almost

>all
>> >the program clean dfrag etc etc.
>> >
>> >I'm not running a lots of program at startup.
>> >
>> >Yesterday I've downloaded free ram xp pro to see if that would help a
>> >little, no help , my computer is running most of the time below 50meg of

>RAM
>> >available.

>The CPU is an AMD 333mhz.
>160mb of RAM 1x 128, 1x 32, computer came with 1x 32 and 1x 16, only two
>slots,so the 16 diseapear.
>Running on Win 98
>Antivirus up to date and know to use very little ressources (EZ Antivirus)
>from CA.
>WD hard drive 60gig
>ati rage pro turbo 2 (onboard) 4 meg
>
>To improve the response while playing game what should I do,
>Changing the video card ?
>Adding more RAM ?
>
>I'm not talking about new and hungry games, just old one that are supposed
>to run fine on my Puter
>
>Thanks for your input
>Richard

Richard. I am not qualified to help you. Seems I've forgotten all the
attributes of my last computer. The specs sound familiar.

Is the video ram maxxed out?

I would think you could switch your 32mb for another 128mb pretty
cheaply. The real question is whether adding $ to the old machine is a
good investment.

The 3rd issue has to do with what's running, and configuration, and
that's where my knowledge is weak.

I think the big question is whether your computer is simply slow or
whether it is, in your words "slower and slower".

Roy - Carpe Noctem