Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Information (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f41-computer-information.html)
-   -   Perhaps a silly question, but... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t308550-perhaps-a-silly-question-but.html)

Writer1194 11-14-2003 03:33 PM

Perhaps a silly question, but...
 
I know it's highly advisable to remove the hard drive prior to discarding a
computer because information can be takenoff the HD. Are there any other parts
of the PC from which information could be retrieved? Also, are there any
components in the monitor from which info can be removed? Thanks in advance.

Night_Seer 11-14-2003 04:01 PM

Re: Perhaps a silly question, but...
 
Writer1194 wrote:
> I know it's highly advisable to remove the hard drive prior to
> discarding a computer because information can be takenoff the HD. Are
> there any other parts of the PC from which information could be
> retrieved? Also, are there any components in the monitor from which
> info can be removed? Thanks in advance.


LOL the monitor? No just the hard drive, and don't forget not to
leave any CD's in it.

--
Night_Seer



caveat lector - reader beware 11-14-2003 04:33 PM

Re: Perhaps a silly question, but...
 
>From: "Night_Seer" ecamacho4at hotmail dot com
>Newsgroups: alt.computer
>Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 08:01:24 -0800


>and don't forget not to
>leave any CD's in it.


LOL, done that. While searching for a CD, with an archive of files, I found an
empty jewel case. A search of the few CD-drives in the stack, located the lost
CD.
Good things, those paperclips.

;)


- -- - -- - --
-- - -- - - -- - - - -- - - -- --
- -- - - - -- - -- - -- -- -- -- - -- -
--
Necessity is the Mother of invention.

I'd tell you a secret, but it wouldn't be a secret anymore.



Thor 11-14-2003 05:42 PM

Re: Perhaps a silly question, but...
 

"Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
news:K-GdnTvKM-wDYSmiRVn-ig@speakeasy.net...
> Writer1194 wrote:
> > I know it's highly advisable to remove the hard drive prior to
> > discarding a computer because information can be takenoff the HD. Are
> > there any other parts of the PC from which information could be
> > retrieved? Also, are there any components in the monitor from which
> > info can be removed? Thanks in advance.

>
> LOL the monitor? No just the hard drive, and don't forget not to
> leave any CD's in it.


or floppy disks, or zip disks, etc. :-)



Calvin Crumrine 11-14-2003 06:14 PM

Re: Perhaps a silly question, but...
 
Thor wrote:
> "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
> news:K-GdnTvKM-wDYSmiRVn-ig@speakeasy.net...
>
>>Writer1194 wrote:
>>
>>>I know it's highly advisable to remove the hard drive prior to
>>>discarding a computer because information can be takenoff the HD. Are
>>>there any other parts of the PC from which information could be
>>>retrieved? Also, are there any components in the monitor from which
>>>info can be removed? Thanks in advance.

>>
>> LOL the monitor? No just the hard drive, and don't forget not to
>>leave any CD's in it.

>
>
> or floppy disks, or zip disks, etc. :-)
>
>

I've seen a few *old* monitors with images burned into the screens-but
not only can't I imagine such images containing useful info (passwords
aren't usually displayed for example, and even when they are I can't
imagine them being left displayed for days on end rather than being
entered) but I don't think I've ever seen a secrecy-oriented setup that
didn't use a screen saver/blanker-in which case burnin wouldn't be a
problem anyway.


Night_Seer 11-14-2003 06:29 PM

Re: Perhaps a silly question, but...
 
Calvin Crumrine wrote:
> Thor wrote:
>> "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
>> news:K-GdnTvKM-wDYSmiRVn-ig@speakeasy.net...
>>
>>> Writer1194 wrote:
>>>
>>>> I know it's highly advisable to remove the hard drive prior to
>>>> discarding a computer because information can be takenoff the HD.
>>>> Are there any other parts of the PC from which information could be
>>>> retrieved? Also, are there any components in the monitor from which
>>>> info can be removed? Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> LOL the monitor? No just the hard drive, and don't forget not to
>>> leave any CD's in it.

>>
>>
>> or floppy disks, or zip disks, etc. :-)
>>
>>

> I've seen a few *old* monitors with images burned into the screens-but
> not only can't I imagine such images containing useful info (passwords
> aren't usually displayed for example, and even when they are I can't
> imagine them being left displayed for days on end rather than being
> entered) but I don't think I've ever seen a secrecy-oriented setup
> that didn't use a screen saver/blanker-in which case burnin wouldn't
> be a problem anyway.


And anyways, most legitimate programs that use passwords show asterisks,
so you'd probably burn in those rather than some useful password :)

--
Night_Seer



Calvin Crumrine 11-14-2003 06:44 PM

Re: Perhaps a silly question, but...
 
Night_Seer wrote:
> Calvin Crumrine wrote:
>
>>Thor wrote:
>>
>>>"Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
>>>news:K-GdnTvKM-wDYSmiRVn-ig@speakeasy.net...
>>>
>>>
>>>>Writer1194 wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>I know it's highly advisable to remove the hard drive prior to
>>>>>discarding a computer because information can be takenoff the HD.
>>>>>Are there any other parts of the PC from which information could be
>>>>>retrieved? Also, are there any components in the monitor from which
>>>>>info can be removed? Thanks in advance.
>>>>
>>>> LOL the monitor? No just the hard drive, and don't forget not to
>>>>leave any CD's in it.
>>>
>>>
>>>or floppy disks, or zip disks, etc. :-)
>>>
>>>

>>
>>I've seen a few *old* monitors with images burned into the screens-but
>>not only can't I imagine such images containing useful info (passwords
>>aren't usually displayed for example, and even when they are I can't
>>imagine them being left displayed for days on end rather than being
>>entered) but I don't think I've ever seen a secrecy-oriented setup
>>that didn't use a screen saver/blanker-in which case burnin wouldn't
>>be a problem anyway.

>
>
> And anyways, most legitimate programs that use passwords show asterisks,
> so you'd probably burn in those rather than some useful password :)
>

That's what I said-passwords aren't usually displayed. It's possible
that other useful info might be, but I can't imagine what it would be
that would get displayed for days on end. And like I said, even back
before Windows security-conscious data centers used screen savers.


Night_Seer 11-14-2003 07:12 PM

Re: Perhaps a silly question, but...
 
Calvin Crumrine wrote:
> Night_Seer wrote:
>> Calvin Crumrine wrote:
>>
>>> Thor wrote:
>>>
>>>> "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
>>>> news:K-GdnTvKM-wDYSmiRVn-ig@speakeasy.net...
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>> Writer1194 wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>> I know it's highly advisable to remove the hard drive prior to
>>>>>> discarding a computer because information can be takenoff the HD.
>>>>>> Are there any other parts of the PC from which information could
>>>>>> be retrieved? Also, are there any components in the monitor from
>>>>>> which info can be removed? Thanks in advance.
>>>>>
>>>>> LOL the monitor? No just the hard drive, and don't forget not
>>>>> to leave any CD's in it.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> or floppy disks, or zip disks, etc. :-)
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> I've seen a few *old* monitors with images burned into the
>>> screens-but not only can't I imagine such images containing useful
>>> info (passwords aren't usually displayed for example, and even when
>>> they are I can't imagine them being left displayed for days on end
>>> rather than being entered) but I don't think I've ever seen a
>>> secrecy-oriented setup that didn't use a screen saver/blanker-in
>>> which case burnin wouldn't be a problem anyway.

>>
>>
>> And anyways, most legitimate programs that use passwords show
>> asterisks, so you'd probably burn in those rather than some useful
>> password :)
>>

> That's what I said-passwords aren't usually displayed. It's possible
> that other useful info might be, but I can't imagine what it would be
> that would get displayed for days on end. And like I said, even back
> before Windows security-conscious data centers used screen savers.


Yeah, I don't know why we're letting this thread go on this long about
this :)

--
Night_Seer



DH 11-15-2003 12:05 AM

Re: Perhaps a silly question, but...
 
> Yeah, I don't know why we're letting this thread go on this long about
> this :)
>
> --
> Night_Seer
>
>


In an effort to keep this silly thread going, how about the ram?

Dave H.



Calvin Crumrine 11-15-2003 12:20 AM

Re: Perhaps a silly question, but...
 
DH wrote:

>>Yeah, I don't know why we're letting this thread go on this long about
>>this :)
>>
>>--
>>Night_Seer
>>
>>

>
>
> In an effort to keep this silly thread going, how about the ram?
>
> Dave H.
>
>


Maybe it died chasing after ewe?



All times are GMT. The time now is 01:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.