Velocity Reviews

-   -   Printer Advice Wanted (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t308540-printer-advice-wanted.html)

Starcap 50 11-13-2003 10:42 AM

Printer Advice Wanted

Hello,

My printer has conked out.

It was a Hewlett Packard DeskJet 722C.

It was a great printer until now.

Can somebody suggest the make and model of a desk jet printer of comparable
quality, as good or better, as my HP Deskjet 722C? I don't think these are
made anymore.

One more thing. My computer is a Dell. I've read somewhere that some printers
are not compatible with Dell computers.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dennis

The Ancient One 11-13-2003 10:38 PM

Re: Printer Advice Wanted

"Starcap 50" <starcap50@aol.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> My printer has conked out.
>
> It was a Hewlett Packard DeskJet 722C.
>
> It was a great printer until now.
>
> Can somebody suggest the make and model of a desk jet printer of

comparable
> quality, as good or better, as my HP Deskjet 722C? I don't think these

are
> made anymore.
>
> One more thing. My computer is a Dell. I've read somewhere that some

printers
> are not compatible with Dell computers.
>
> Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Dennis

What are your main priorities for a printer?
Fast print speed?
High quality photo printing?
Inexpensive ink?

Personally I like Epson, but I mainly print photographs and IMHO they have
the best photo print quality.

Night_Seer 11-14-2003 12:23 AM

Re: Printer Advice Wanted

The Ancient One wrote:
> "Starcap 50" <starcap50@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> My printer has conked out.
>>
>> It was a Hewlett Packard DeskJet 722C.
>>
>> It was a great printer until now.
>>
>> Can somebody suggest the make and model of a desk jet printer of
>> comparable quality, as good or better, as my HP Deskjet 722C? I
>> don't think these are made anymore.
>>
>> One more thing. My computer is a Dell. I've read somewhere that
>> some printers are not compatible with Dell computers.
>>
>> Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.
>>
>> Dennis

> What are your main priorities for a printer?
> Fast print speed?
> High quality photo printing?
> Inexpensive ink?
>
> Personally I like Epson, but I mainly print photographs and IMHO they
> have the best photo print quality.

I agree with you on Epson. My dad has one, and I just got one for
my birthday. An Epson STYLUS PHOTO R300, which i love to death. It
prints at very high resolution for photos, as well as borderless. It
has a built in 6 in 1 card reader (luckily I didn't buy one, as I was
about to). You can print photos without a printer, you can connect your
camera up to it and preview the pictures you want to print through the
LCD on your camera (digital camera of course), or there is also an
optional LCD for it (probably about 100 bucks, so not really worth it,
when I use photoshop anyways). It is USB 2.0 compatible (if your
computer only has USB 1.1, it will work with that as well). There is an
optional bluetooth adapter to print wirelessly (though I don't know how
useful this will be for you). And last but not least, it will print
directly to Inkjet printable CD's. All this for 179 bucks at Best Buy.
It set up easily, and has run flawlessly since I got it. Highly
recomended.

--
Night_Seer

Starcap 50 11-14-2003 01:58 AM

Re: Printer Advice Wanted

From: "The Ancient One"

>>What are your main priorities for a printer? Fast print speed? High quality

photo printing? Inexpensive ink?<<

Gosh, nothing fancy.

Just the ability to give me a high quality printout of any articles of interest
that I may want to print out from the internet.

I am also job hunting right now, so I want to be able to print out a good black
and white resume that looks first class.

Again, nothing fancy. Photos are not a priority. Just high quality printouts
of various things I type up on Word Pad, such as short stories, essays, and my
resume, and any articles that I find of interest on the internet.

Perhaps, I should stick with HP? If so, what would be a decent model for my
needs?

Dennis

Your name 11-14-2003 03:04 AM

Re: Printer Advice Wanted

starcap50@aol.com (Starcap 50) wrote in

> From: "The Ancient One"
>
>>>What are your main priorities for a printer? Fast print speed? High
>>>quality

> photo printing? Inexpensive ink?<<
>
> Gosh, nothing fancy.
>
> Just the ability to give me a high quality printout of any articles

of
> interest that I may want to print out from the internet.
>
> I am also job hunting right now, so I want to be able to print out a
> good black and white resume that looks first class.
>
> Again, nothing fancy. Photos are not a priority. Just high quality
> printouts of various things I type up on Word Pad, such as short
> stories, essays, and my resume, and any articles that I find of
> interest on the internet.
>
> Perhaps, I should stick with HP? If so, what would be a decent

model
> for my needs?
>
> Dennis

I have a HP5150 at work. Except for the ink, it's a real good printer.
I'm going to get one for home.

LarryLamb 11-14-2003 04:55 PM

Re: Printer Advice Wanted

"Starcap 50" <starcap50@aol.com> wrote in message
> From: "The Ancient One"
>
> >>What are your main priorities for a printer? Fast print speed? High quality

> photo printing? Inexpensive ink?<<
>
> Gosh, nothing fancy.
>
> Just the ability to give me a high quality printout of any articles of

interest
> that I may want to print out from the internet.
>
> I am also job hunting right now, so I want to be able to print out a good

black
> and white resume that looks first class.
>
> Again, nothing fancy. Photos are not a priority. Just high quality printouts
> of various things I type up on Word Pad, such as short stories, essays, and my
> resume, and any articles that I find of interest on the internet.
>
> Perhaps, I should stick with HP? If so, what would be a decent model for my
> needs?
>
> Dennis

There's no substitute for seeing what a printer can do at first hand. Many
PC dealers will happily demonstrate a particular model for you.

One thing you'll rarely see on a printer brochure is the cost of consumables
and this can vary enormously, from a few pence to a pound or more per print.
Printer ink can be spectacularly expensive.

Try the Canon i550 or for quality pictures the Canon
i950 [USB only]. The former is USB 1.1 and parallel and most
importantly, it's dead cheap to run.