Velocity Reviews

-   -   Modem Help (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t308512-modem-help.html)

Mfatoldsun 11-10-2003 08:38 PM

Modem Help

I have an IBM 300pl computer. I formatted the hard drive, installed Windows
98. It works fine. I installed Internet Explorer, but I can`t dial up my
modem. It says "Modem is busy or not turned on" "can`t find modem, may not
be hooked up or installed properly" This computer has an internal modem.
During the instillation wizard, it had me choose from a list of what modem I
have. I don`t know what one I have. Does any one know what modem comes with
the IBM 300pl? Is it in COM:1 or COM:2 ? Thanks to anyone that can help.
Also is there a patch I need to download that will work for Windows 98? It
used to have NT 4.0 Thanks

....mfat

Pepperoni 11-10-2003 09:00 PM

Re: Modem Help

Look around at:
http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/
hit the driver download link and supply the information required on the
pop-downs. (will need "type" and model number)

Try to identify the modem used on your PC and download the proper drivers.
Some manufacturers will give full product details by model or serial number.

Since your modem was not properly loaded, you may need to load some
additional items from the communications group from your W98 disc to allow
proper dialup.

news:UGSrb.19376$Aq6.9175@newssvr33.news.prodigy.c om...

AOL.com 11-10-2003 10:45 PM

Re: Modem Help

Download Belarc advisor and run it. It will tell you what type modem you have
and what port it is on.
I just ran it and it may not tell you what port it is on but will tell you what
type modem you have.
Richard

Mfatoldsun 11-10-2003 11:54 PM

Re: Modem Help

Richard,
Thanks. I installed Belarc Advisor and it says that my computer is:

PC IBM 300pl Model 6862 27U
128 MB Mem.
For the Modems,

IBM 14.4 Data Fax with DAA PCMCIA

IBM 2400-9600

I installed the listed modems in the "Connection Wizard" and still no luck.
I also flipped them around because i`m not sure what port they are in. It
still can`t detect the modem. I found a couple drivers I thought might do
it, I downloaded them, installed them, and nothing changed. Is there a
specific patch I should be looking for on the IBM page? Thanks again,

....mfat

Sirius 11-11-2003 12:24 AM

Re: Modem Help

"Mfatoldsun" <Mfatoldsun@PinkFloyd.com> wrote in message
news:UGSrb.19376$Aq6.9175@newssvr33.news.prodigy.c om...
> I have an IBM 300pl computer. I formatted the hard drive, installed

Windows
> 98. It works fine. I installed Internet Explorer, but I can`t dial up my
> modem. It says "Modem is busy or not turned on" "can`t find modem, may not
> be hooked up or installed properly" This computer has an internal modem.
> During the instillation wizard, it had me choose from a list of what modem

> have. I don`t know what one I have. Does any one know what modem comes

with
> the IBM 300pl? Is it in COM:1 or COM:2 ? Thanks to anyone that can help.
> Also is there a patch I need to download that will work for Windows 98? It
> used to have NT 4.0 Thanks
>
> ...mfat

I've been installing old ISA modems without drivers recently on my computer
and have trial, more trials and many errors have led me to this path:

Copy W98 to HD in case CD drive disappears
Remove any modems listed in control panel - modems
Reboot
Go to add new hardware in Control panel and let it detect. In my case it has
to detect and install another com port - ie com 3 or com 4.
Reboot
Check that there is a com 3 or 4 now listed in device manager (if not then
might as well give up)
Go to modems in control panel and it will detect and install software for
it.

No guarantee this will work for yours and it probably reveals my ignorance
but it might be worth a try.

Mfatoldsun 11-12-2003 11:00 PM

Re: Modem Help

Thanks for the advice. If in fact I have a bad modem, i`ll go wireless as I
have a Linksys Wireless broadband router. What would be the best DSL
wireless modem to get for that old computer? Thanks,

....mfat

Larry Dugan 11-15-2003 01:46 PM

Re: Modem Help

Mfatoldsun wrote:

> Richard,
> Thanks. I installed Belarc Advisor and it says that my computer is:
>
> PC IBM 300pl Model 6862 27U
> 128 MB Mem.
> For the Modems,
>
> IBM 14.4 Data Fax with DAA PCMCIA
>
> IBM 2400-9600
>
> I installed the listed modems in the "Connection Wizard" and still no luck.
> I also flipped them around because i`m not sure what port they are in. It
> still can`t detect the modem. I found a couple drivers I thought might do
> it, I downloaded them, installed them, and nothing changed. Is there a
> specific patch I should be looking for on the IBM page? Thanks again,
>
> ...mfat
>
> "AOL.com" <rwavle@aol.comnotrela> wrote in message
> > Download Belarc advisor and run it. It will tell you what type modem you

> have
> > and what port it is on.
> > I just ran it and it may not tell you what port it is on but will tell you

> what
> > type modem you have.
> > Richard

If it is in fact a PCMCIA modem, it will be a small card plugged into the
computer. You will have to load PCMCIA drivers before it will work (I had to do
this with an older laptop). The drivers will use a lot of memory (at least they
did on mine). You should be able to find the drivers on the makers web site, but
you maybe better off getting a different modem.

--
"Congress shall never disarm any citizen, unless such as are or
have been in actual rebellion."

Mfatoldsun 11-15-2003 02:32 PM

Re: Modem Help

Thanks Larry. I`ll check for that card. Will it be in the back or will I
have to take it apart to find it?

....mfat

DeMoN LaG 11-15-2003 06:28 PM

Re: Modem Help

"Mfatoldsun" <Mfatoldsun@PinkFloyd.com> wrote in news:XNqtb.20827$W6.20310
@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com:

> Thanks Larry. I`ll check for that card. Will it be in the back or will I
> have to take it apart to find it?

It should be sticking out of the side, usually the left

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

Larry Dugan 11-16-2003 02:26 PM

Re: Modem Help

DeMoN LaG wrote:

> "Mfatoldsun" <Mfatoldsun@PinkFloyd.com> wrote in news:XNqtb.20827$W6.20310
> @newssvr33.news.prodigy.com:
>
> > Thanks Larry. I`ll check for that card. Will it be in the back or will I
> > have to take it apart to find it?

> It should be sticking out of the side, usually the left
>
> --
> AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
> email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
> website: under construction
> email/IM for rates/services

It could be either side. Mine was on the right side, toward the back.

--
[A] government resting on a minority is an aristocracy, not a
Republic, and could not be safe with a numerical and physical